Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Automated System
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Matthew Silvola captured this 2014 Dodge Durango running close to the Chrysler headquarters building (in the background) earlier this week. The sheet metal on the sides appears to be identical, but it appears that Dodge is planning to change the tailgate and the tail-lights; they will likely change the headlights as well, to the newer style which is practically de rigeur for any new car. The reflectors over the bumper are probably only a camouflage feature, since the production car is expected to have Dodge’s “race track” rear lighting. We expect the 2014 Durango to be introduced soon, with front fascia changes in addition to the optics and tailgate updates; the 8.4 inch UConnect 2 system; the eight speed transmission, standard across the board; and possibly, but by no means definitely, the same diesel option as the Grand Cherokee, to provide a good high miles-per-gallon teaser on the ads.

View the original, full post

·
Registered
494 Posts
I can't wait to see this. Hope the rumor here in Australia is true about the updated one will possibly be built in RHD. I'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
dakrt99 said:
Personally, glad to see they are keeping it.
>The Durango is awesome, I just think the rear end must be changed, it looks like it doesn't belong to it, tailgate and lamps must be changed, the front end is beautiful, and some nicer wheels will help the truck, in fact, in my opinion it's nicer than the GC

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2,660 Posts
Mr.Source said:
>The Durango is awesome, I just think the rear end must be changed, it looks like it doesn't belong to it, tailgate and lamps must be changed, the front end is beautiful, and some nicer wheels will help the truck, in fact, in my opinion it's nicer than the GC
You're going to get your wish.

Now... I just need to see it! I haven't seen one yet!

·
Fits and Finishes
1,108 Posts
I hope that they radically change the front and rear, because it looks like the 2014 will continue the present uninspiring, and generic shape. No wonder Durango is eating GM's dust in SUVs.

And change the Dart! The looks of it is not the only reason it's doing poorly, I know, but it needs to change to stand out from the rest.

And another thing, when Chrysler introduces a new model, how about trying this innovative trick: when the new model shows up at the dealer, try actually having models that the newly impressed buyer can actually drive (with an automatic transmission, unlike the manual-only Dart!) or afford (unlike the $45,000 Challengers that were the only models available for the first six months)

I know they want to impress the car magazine writers, but must they frustrate the car buyer to do so?

I love Chrysler, like the rest of you, and really want the company to do well.

Just my opinions.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Mopartial said:
(SNIP)

And change the Dart! The looks of it is not the only reason it's doing poorly, I know, but it needs to change to stand out from the rest.

(SNIP)
I am picking up a Dart Rallye on Monday. It looks great. MotorWeek awarded best compact for 2013 to the Dart. It has a great interior and suspension. Moreover, it has a more than adequate powertrain for its class. As part of its ongoing launch rollout, an even more performance biased powertrain will be available in the GT package.

Read and watch MotorWeek's review here...

http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/road_tests/2013_dodge_dart

·
Registered
278 Posts
^ Good choice, Dart is a great vehicle. Sales are still growing every month.

The Dodge Dart was Chrysler's best selling sedan at retail in January.

Total sales in January:
Avenger...9,628
Dart......7,154
Charger...6,411
DaveAdmin said:
Matthew thought it was the Grand Wagoneer mule... could be either one.
It's too early for the Wagoneer mule. According to source from one of Jeep forums, 2014 Durango debut is at the New York Auto Show next month (Grand Cherokee updates without a diesel).

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Mopartial said:
I hope that they radically change the front and rear, because it looks like the 2014 will continue the present uninspiring, and generic shape. No wonder Durango is eating GM's dust in SUVs.

And another thing, when Chrysler introduces a new model, how about trying this innovative trick: when the new model shows up at the dealer, try actually having models that the newly impressed buyer can actually drive (with an automatic transmission, unlike the manual-only Dart!) or afford (unlike the $45,000 Challengers that were the only models available for the first six months)

I know they want to impress the car magazine writers, but must they frustrate the car buyer to do so?

Just my opinions.
Hmmm guess opinions are something everyone has.

GM isn't lighting up the world giving away cars to turn cash flow is a failing business model.

Dart had to be rolled out to meet promises and now that the supply pipeline is full is doing well and looks great.

Durango is one of the best looking SUV, it is just pricey when sitting on the lot next to a Journey. In this economy sometimes bargins out weighs the vehicle. My wife really want to step up from here Journey but I am making her wait for the ZF.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Mopartial said:

Just my opinions.
I personally feel the exact opposite as you feel. Specifically, I feel the Durango is one of the nicest looking SUVs on the planet. The proportions are perfect. I prefer it over the Grand Cherokee. I would like to see them extend the model offerings to an SRT-like, ultra plush, car with a lowered stance and big wheels. This thing could be heroic if they tried.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The autoblog post about the Grand Wagoneer yesterday, has me seriously concerned that we won't see it until the 2016 model year, which is way longer than I could wait.

I would SERIOUSLY consider diesel Durango Citadel, as diesel typically hovers $.05 to $.10 less than unleaded premium in our market. Right now, it's at $3.69/gallon, which I could easily justify for 29ish mpg on the highway and that beautiful torque.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I'm not sure if the tracklight will look as good on Durango as on Dart & Charger..

·
Registered
149 Posts
dakrt99 said:
I personally feel the exact opposite as you feel. Specifically, I feel the Durango is one of the nicest looking SUVs on the planet. The proportions are perfect. I prefer it over the Grand Cherokee. I would like to see them extend the model offerings to an SRT-like, ultra plush, car with a lowered stance and big wheels. This thing could be heroic if they tried.
Dude I am with you on this one! I have been wishing and hoping for a Durango SRT model since I bought my '12 RT last year. I would trade my RT in tomorrow for an SRT if they made one...

Here's hoping...

As for the '14, I'm definitely looking forward to the 8 speed and other updates, but they definitely need to fix the look of the back end, and the rims. I would love to see some rims like 2011-2012 SRT8 JGC, but with 7 spokes like the Viper Wheels. Not a big fan of the current Durango rims. I also think a rear liftgate window that slides up an down would be awesome, as sometimes you can't get to stuff in the back when you don't have enough room to open the lift gate like when it's in the garage or backed up against a wall or another vehicle. Would also like the option to have roof racks on the RT.

Just hope they keep the agressive front end look of the current model (in RT form).

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
If they can't justify a diesel Durango... How could they justify a SRT Durango?

Mike

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Define "Justify" a Diesel Durango. Isn't limited supply & high cost the primary reason, since most Durango buyers already feel the sticker is a bit high? That being said, if it were priced "Right" for consumers, it would fly off lots - but the company would lose money on them at the "Right" price. Now if they could make the VM Diesel here, reduce the cost to make & use it and pass that savings on, that'd be a different story, right?

SRT Durango, while it'd be neat as heck, I don't think they can touch because it's a very tiny market... the market that thinks an SRT GC is too small, but wants an SRT Durango, is likely the market that'd buy both an SRT Challenger AND an R/T Durango currently.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Tomguy said:
Define "Justify" a Diesel Durango. Isn't limited supply & high cost the primary reason, since most Durango buyers already feel the sticker is a bit high? That being said, if it were priced "Right" for consumers, it would fly off lots - but the company would lose money on them at the "Right" price. Now if they could make the VM Diesel here, reduce the cost to make & use it and pass that savings on, that'd be a different story, right?

SRT Durango, while it'd be neat as heck, I don't think they can touch because it's a very tiny market... the market that thinks an SRT GC is too small, but wants an SRT Durango, is likely the market that'd buy both an SRT Challenger AND an R/T Durango currently.
But the longer wheelbase of the Durango versus the Grand Cherokee should be better for towing. And towing benefits from diesel low end torque.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts