Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

According to Ralph Gilles, the Dodge Dart SRT4 (or, in the current nomenclature, SRT Dart) is no longer a definite near-term product. Mr. Gilles told us: Well, we have a lot of oars [in the water] right now, a lot of projects, and things that go from continuous improvement to what to do with the Dart? So I’ll tell you right now, we’ve got a bit of a stall in the Dart development, because our standards are so much higher for ourselves. In the old days, we would have turbo-charge, front-wheel drive engine, boom. But we want something better and more special and right now there’s not a power-train that we’re happy with that is worthy of that nameplate, you know what I mean? Of putting SRT on it. So we’re going to wait until we have the right ingredients. ... If you even remotely like an SRT type..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Its the availibility of the 9spd tranny thats hurtingthe DSRT period!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey, if they are pushing it back to wait for the right engine, tranny, etc, then by all means go ahead! At least they didn't announce it and then delay it.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Meh.

Sometimes I wish that they'd get further along with the next model and all of its variants before they switch. I didn't follow Caliber, was it really so much a dud that they absolutely had to introduce the Dart when they did? I looked at a Caliber SRT4 at a used car lot, didn't drive it, but had considered it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Translation: FIAT has money problems in Europe.

FIAT's money problems are becoming Chrysler's problems in the form of development delays. Everything seems to be delayed.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
BrewSwillis said:
Translation: FIAT has money problems in Europe.

FIAT's money problems are becoming Chrysler's problems in the form of development delays. Everything seems to be delayed.
Yup. They are only building stuff they can sell in volume. My guess is too that the 2.4 turbo is gone. So there is nothing they can really stick in that comes close. They didn't just bolt a turbo on it and go boom back in 2003. They had a turbo engine that was engineered to handle the abuse. It was also spread out over the Neon, the PT, and the Mexican stratus. If you want an SRT vehicle it will be on a high priced vehicle they can turn a profit on.

The other issues we mentioned before...the tuner market is not what it once was.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Everybody who is surprised, raise your hands. I would be willing to bet we're at least two delays (and probably two model-years) away from seeing the Dart GT in showrooms....just my guess.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
TWX said:
Meh.

Sometimes I wish that they'd get further along with the next model and all of its variants before they switch. I didn't follow Caliber, was it really so much a dud that they absolutely had to introduce the Dart when they did? I looked at a Caliber SRT4 at a used car lot, didn't drive it, but had considered it.
Caliber was an OK car. The pre-refresh interior wasn't all that nice to look at or touch, the exterior styling was a bit chunky and truck-ish, and marketing couldn't decide if it was a car or a crossover, so the marketing message wasn't all that clear. Throw in the usual CVT2 complaints as well. It wasn't all that roomy or fuel efficient and didn't perform as well as it's competition - plus there was no sedan model, it was hatch only.

That said, the first 3 years of sales averaged about 92000 units per year prior to the market collapse and bankruptcy. Afterwards with the requirement put upon Fiat for percentage of ownership, the writing for Caliber's fate was on the wall.

Some cars are just destined to be really good used cars.

chewie402 said:
Everybody who is surprised, raise your hands. I would be willing to bet we're at least two delays (and probably two model-years) away from seeing the Dart GT in showrooms....just my guess.
I've been told that a few GTs have been making their way down the line in Belvidere, so I won't take that bet.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
The GTs will be there. It sounds like they are going to be closer to what the Neon R/T was. Maybe they'll be an SRT version next generation...but don't bet on it. I think SRT means an entirely different thing now. It is a high end enterprise. There is no "entry level."

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Not surprised. This line was interesting:
In the old days, we would have turbo-charge, front-wheel drive engine, boom. But we want something better and more special and right now there’s not a power-train that we’re happy with that is worthy of that nameplate, you know what I mean?

So you can take that one of two ways, SRT doesnt want to do a FWD car and is waiting for a AWD setup that would work in the Dart or they really dont have an engine/transmission combo they feel worthy of putting in the SRT Dart.

Either way there are going to be quite a few people jumping ship to the ST, MS3, GTI and other performance models in that class.

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,104 Posts
Y is this a surprise, I don't think the world is ready for a $30K Dart, probably much more, seeing how the drive train has to deal with all that extra weight. That was the fail point for the last SRT4

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not surprised, however, I hope they don't forget what the FWD, large displacement, turbocharged four bangers have contributed to the SRT brand (ala Neon SRT-4).

I also hope they don't forget about us FWD performance junkies. While I am sure the Dart GT is an outstanding car, another level of performance to compete with the likes of the MS3, GTI, SI, ST, etc. would be much desired. I also noticed that Ralph never dismissed the idea of an old GEMA 2.4 turbo like setup in an R/T package, only the Dart SRT. Hopefully with this package shifting, they will still bring a higher performing R/T to the table.

J

·
0 Posts
Marchionne has made comments that he was disappointed with Dart sales numbers so far, so maybe this "wait and see" approach is simply to see yearly numbers AND really gauge consumer interest in an SRT4 model. The way I see it, there's no reason Gilles wants to spend SRT's time and resources bringing it to market if the Dart is still gaining sales momentum after a rough start. I could see an SRT model in late 2014 or 2015...after the Dart is more established and sales numbers are solid.

·
Registered
288 Posts
If the were sitting next to each other and had the same price which would you buy? Dart SRT, Avenger RT, Challenger sxt, or a v6 Jeep Cherokee? Just curious

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't care what they call it, but why can't I get a Dart with at least as much HP as a 20 year old Daytona R/T. I mean, can't I get like a 230 HP turbo setup. I don't need a way expensive 300 HP Dart SRT.

J

·
0 Posts
Me personally...between those choices, I'd choose the Dart SRT. I'm not particularly a fan of the Avenger nor would i want a Challenger SXT or Cherokee. I hope they eventually produce the Dart SRT, but at this point I think it makes sense for them to wait.

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
Truth is, according to rumors the dartSRT they were testing is slower than the SRT4 of yore. Until they can get the 9hp mated to an AWD system that is robust AND performing AND within budget, this ain't gonna happen.
Read again: "right now there’s not a power-train that we’re happy with that is worthy of that nameplate, you know what I mean? Of putting SRT on it. So we’re going to wait until we have the right ingredients."

So expect a FWD 230hp-ish R/T with an e-diff down the line, until the right powertrain comes along for an SRT.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm sure this has been explained elsewhere but I must have missed it. Can somebody please explain to me why it's a Dart GT and not Dart R/T like every other performance model in the Dodge lineup?

1 - 20 of 139 Posts