Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Automated System
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

An Allpar source in Auburn Hills has told us that the SRT team is busily working on a high-performance Durango. Much of the work on such a vehicle is already done, as the powertrain has been fitted into the similar SRT Grand Cherokee; however, the suspension on the Durango is substantially different, and the big Dodge SUV is longer and lower than Grand Cherokee, so it’s not a trivial task to carry over their work. SRT vehicles go far beyond the old “Pontiac GTO” formula of “dropping in a big engine;” the brakes and suspension are also changed, to provide superior handling and stopping power, despite the added front-biased weight of the big 6.4 Hemi. The SRT Durango might be merely in the planning or proposal stage; however, it would not be the first SRT to “semi-duplicate” a sibling. There are three SRT variants of similar platforms (Challenger, Charger,..

View the original, full post

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
"despite the added front-biased weight of the big 6.4 Hemi"

6.4 is "bigger" in displacement, not so much in weight, it won't require much to adjust for the weight of the 6.4 vs the 5.7, it will require a bit to adjust for the power.
It should be a fun car!

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Unfortunately, I'll believe it when I see it.

Mike

·
Registered
497 Posts
I know there no direct relationship, but any chance this (if true) will result in a pursuit approved Durango for law enforcement? Starting to see Explorers by the boat loads around here - just as the Charger was really starting to come on strong...

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
b1c said:
I know there no direct relationship, but any chance this (if true) will result in a pursuit approved Durango for law enforcement? Starting to see Explorers by the boat loads around here - just as the Charger was really starting to come on strong...
Maybe, but the odd thing is, departments are more worried about overhead (finally!) than performance. Most PD Chargers seem to have the V-6.
Radios and helicopters provide most of the pursuit speed these days.

·
Registered
497 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Maybe, but the odd thing is, departments are more worried about overhead (finally!) than performance. Most PD Chargers seem to have the V-6.
Radios and helicopters provide most of the pursuit speed these days.
Early in the Charger pursuit's life, KHP bought a mixture (my school bought one of their surplus V6"s), but since 2011, KHP is buying only Hemis. I concur with your statement regarding the sheriff's offices and police departments, mostly V6. Officers like the Charger, but price still keeps coming up Ford.... Taurus in county sheriff guise is one ugly car! But I digress....

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Well sometimes you need to take 7 passengers somewhere very fast.

:D

·
Registered
149 Posts
DUDE...!!!! This is exactly what Ive been waiting for since I bought my '12 RT last year!!! I really hope this is legit and no BS because I would trade my RT in for one tomorrow if this things is real. Good Job Ralph, and please push this thing through all the way to production!!! Cant wait!

oh, and please give us the option for the stowable roof racks!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Wonder where this will be priced? to slot in above or below the JGC SRT? I mean yeah its bigger and has an extra row, but its also based on a Dodge and Jeep is supposed to be a premium nameplate, so i dont see how they could price it above the Jeep SRT? Any thoughts?

Also Id be interested to see what the wheels end up looking like? I really like the wheels on the 2011-2012 Jeep SRT's, I just think they need to add 2 more sets of spokes, so they look more like the Viper's wheels. Now that would be perfect for the SRT 'Rango!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I've often wondered when would there be a successor to the Gen I SP360 Durango...I hope they're serious about this for my sake.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
b1c said:
i had heard the only thing holding them from providing a pursuit package on WD was goodyear did not have a high speed rated tire available for the application. perhaps things have progressed since then. i had heard that Dodge and Ram are both heavily invested in providing to law enforcement and emergency services

·
Administrator
35,254 Posts
Well...

If you really want to sell to the FBI, state police, local police, etc., you have an advantage if you can be a sole supplier for:

1) SUVs for the canines and such
2) Large vans for the SWAT teams
3) Squad cars
4) Detective cars
5) Tow trucks
6) Little meter maid cars
7) Every other freakin vehicle a city needs

Thing is, it's just easier for agencies to have a sole supplier in terms of relationships, warranty, leverage, paperwork, spares, etc. That's true for corporate fleets too -- to sell Rams, they need to have vans etc. Hence the commercial vans which otherwise would not be worth their time. SHame Daimler did not understand that ... or care.

·
3,813 Posts
The Durango isn't big enough to make any real headway in to the police market side of things... ESPECIALLY in the case of SWAT etc, outside of the front 2 seats everything else is too small. The Tahoe remains a much better choice.

·
Registered
149 Posts
JRS200x said:
The Durango isn't big enough to make any real headway in to the police market side of things... ESPECIALLY in the case of SWAT etc, outside of the front 2 seats everything else is too small. The Tahoe remains a much better choice.
I dont see how your argument about the Durango not being big enough holds any water, when the Durango and Explorer are pretty evenly matched for size and space, and the Explorer has been chosen as the new Crown Vic replacement for CHP ( see article: http://m.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2012/1205_ford_police_interceptor_utility_is_california_highway_patrols_next_cruiser/ ) , and as most CA law enforcement agencies follow what CHP chooses, probably the rest of the state. I have even seen MP's and K9 units on the Navy base I work at using them. So, if the Durango can achieve a pursuit rating and come in at or below Ford's bidding for law enforcement contracts, I think it would do great.

·
Administrator
35,254 Posts
I don't get the CHP's decision on this one, really. The Charger still easily outperforms the Exploder, as does the Caprice, as does Ford's own turbo cruiser (though I think they'd be nuts to get turbo cars for the police). Have they decided space is more important than anything else?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts