Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Automated System
Joined
·
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Months ago, sources told Allpar about a new Hemi V8 coming down the pike for SRT cars; set to debut in the SRT Barracuda, which at the time we believed was either a replacement for the Challenger or an SRT variant of the Challenger (the latter still seems likely), the “HellCat”  V8 will go up against supercharged Ford and GM powerplants. While Chrysler has made numerous turbocharged engines — mainly 2.2 or 2.5 liter four-cylinders, but also two completely different 2.4 liter four-cylinders for SRT cars — this will be both the company’s first supercharged production engine, and their first forced-induction V8. It will reportedly include the cylinder-deactivation technology which debuted in the 5.7 Hemi and is now in the SRT 6.4 Hemi. According to Ontario Street Car, we can now expect the engine to be sold this summer, with production starting in April. The name follows aviation history, with..

View the original, full post
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,274 Posts
Wouldn't it be silly to R&D all this for only 25-50HP more than the 392? Unless there's another reason like better MPG than the 392.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Tomguy said:
Wouldn't it be silly to R&D all this for only 25-50HP more than the 392? Unless there's another reason like better MPG than the 392.
I bet it will have an even wider power-band in addition to more peak power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,109 Posts
Tomguy said:
Wouldn't it be silly to R&D all this for only 25-50HP more than the 392? Unless there's another reason like better MPG than the 392.
I can't imagine MPG is the focus of supercharging a high performance V8...

Also can't imagine that anything less than 50HP is worth the effort. 50HP from a 6.2L V8 is really nothing, they've got to be pushing more than that. I'm sure people will talk about torque and driveability, and that peak HP numbers don't matter, but when you have 470TQ already from the 6.2, much of it available down low, it wouldn't make sense to design a supercharger to simply increase low-end torque.

The Chevy LS3 6.2L makes 436hp, and the 6.2L LS9 and LSA motors make 638HP and 556HP respectively. That's an increase of 120-202HP for the supercharged application. Purely my opinion, but I'd be disappointed if the 6.2L SC Hemi makes less than 550-570HP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,262 Posts
I agree with the 550-575 range.

You will NOT see this motor crest 600 HP at this point in time, as that would be getting too close to Viper V10 territory.... Once the 8.4 gets a decent power bump, then it will come up. But for image and prestige, the V10 will have to stay King of the Mopar HP Heap....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
It blows my mind that anyone would want cylinder deactivation on a high HP supercharged V8 engine. No one will be purchasing this for fuel mileage and if someone can afford the vehicle it fits in they can pop for the 2K gas guzzler tax easily. I hope that part isn't true about cylinder deactivation.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
3,813 Posts
Even if they can afford the gas and aren't worried about the gas mileage.. HAVING better gas mileage is still better than having worse. Plus the cylinder deactivation is pretty easily turned off if you don't like it.-


Plus, its more for the manufacturer who has CAFE to worry about, and every MPG counts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,120 Posts
What is the likelyhood that somebody (RG, RB) would stuff this thing into a Ram, let's say it would have a regular cab with a new stepsidish looking bed, a nice rakish hot rod stance (big-n-littles), be painted a nasty shade of Ram Red Dupont, and then sell it to us?



Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please,
Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please,
Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please,
Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please,
Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please,
Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please,
Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Ok, I'll take one of those in a RCSB Ram Express please. One can dream. :)


Muther said:
What is the likelyhood that somebody (RG, RB) would stuff this thing into a Ram, let's say it would have a regular cab with a new stepsidish looking bed, a nice rakish hot rod stance (big-n-littles), be painted a nasty shade of Ram Red Dupont, and then selling it us?



Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please,
Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please,
Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please,
Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please,
Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please,
Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please,
Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please, Oh Please,
+ a billion

Orbit Orange said:
It blows my mind that anyone would want cylinder deactivation on a high HP supercharged V8 engine. No one will be purchasing this for fuel mileage and if someone can afford the vehicle it fits in they can pop for the 2K gas guzzler tax easily. I hope that part isn't true about cylinder deactivation.
Exactly. First thing I did with my Diablosport Trinity is turn off the MDS on my Ram. I get better gas mileage tuned than it did stock.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,522 Posts
Allpar News System said:
Months ago, sources told Allpar about a new Hemi V8 coming down the pike for SRT cars...
More like a year or more ago...

"According to Ontario Street Car, we can now expect the engine to be sold this summer, with production starting in April."

So the info gets posted first on Allpar, then is taken (and NOT credited) by the OSC site, then it comes back to Allpar and OSC gets credited??? WTH????
 

·
Active Jeeper
Joined
·
31,129 Posts
oh2o said:
More like a year or more ago...

"According to Ontario Street Car, we can now expect the engine to be sold this summer, with production starting in April."

So the info gets posted first on Allpar, then is taken (and NOT credited) by the OSC site, then it comes back to Allpar and OSC gets credited??? WTH????
Ha! Ha! Classic!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,083 Posts
oh2o said:
More like a year or more ago...

"According to Ontario Street Car, we can now expect the engine to be sold this summer, with production starting in April."

So the info gets posted first on Allpar, then is taken (and NOT credited) by the OSC site, then it comes back to Allpar and OSC gets credited??? WTH????
I know right, alot of Allpar 1st News gets reported later on other sites but Allpar doesnt gets credited.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,274 Posts
Danno said:
I agree with the 550-575 range.

You will NOT see this motor crest 600 HP at this point in time, as that would be getting too close to Viper V10 territory.... Once the 8.4 gets a decent power bump, then it will come up. But for image and prestige, the V10 will have to stay King of the Mopar HP Heap....
That's silly reasoning. I am not saying that isn't how they are thinking but it's silly. Besides, they're making a supercharged V10 per Allpar rumors, so why would they want to hold back their supercharged Hemi?
 

·
THE MAD DUCK
Joined
·
2,379 Posts
Quacking About Something Early?

Thank Goodness Were are Almost Completely Under the Radar Screen.

The Phoenix Engine was on Allpar 4 Years before It Was Sold.

TMD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Joe_K said:
Ok, I'll take one of those in a RCSB Ram Express please. One can dream. :)



+ a billion



Exactly. First thing I did with my Diablosport Trinity is turn off the MDS on my Ram. I get better gas mileage tuned than it did stock.
I'd even be interested in a RCSB Ram Express with just the 470 HP 6.4 Hemi in it.

Makers do it for the purported mileage bump, yet as you say I can get better mileage in our G8 GT when I put it in manual mode (deactivates the AFM or MDS) than when it kicks in every once in a while. It just seems absolutely comical to put it on an engine that is going to be making somewhere between 500 and 600 horsepower, sell in limited numbers and be there solely for the purpose of performance with maybe a 1 or 2 mpg difference with all the MDS/AFM extra junk tacked on. One of those things that if I want a 4 cylinder engine, I'd buy one. I buy a V8 for a reason. Maybe its just me.
 

·
Active Jeeper
Joined
·
31,129 Posts
The Mad Duck said:
Quacking About Something Early?

Thank Goodness Were are Almost Completely Under the Radar Screen.

The Phoenix Engine was on Allpar 4 Years before It Was Sold.

TMD
Allpar is not so under the radar anymore.
Ask Chrysler about the 'DOJ?' Thread or the 'Motorsports out of NASCAR' thread.
The radar has hit the fan... ;)
 

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
Joined
·
26,427 Posts
It would be PPG, not DuPont. And it would most likely be PR4 Flame Red Clear Coat if I had to guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,120 Posts
Mike V. said:
It would be PPG, not DuPont. And it would most likely be PR4 Flame Red Clear Coat if I had to guess.
LOLLERZ!!!

I knew soembody would be able to fill in the blanks. As much as I am waiting for the DSRT...



...and the (rumored/confirmed/rumored) Barracuda...



...and the new Challenger...


...and the VIAD (Viaper in a Diaper)...


I would buy a new version of the Li'l Red Express Truck with a Hellcat.and I'd motrgage the farm to get it.

Whoever is responsible for the Hellcat deserves a great big heeeeeyooooooge HOO-RAH! from Allpar's contributors. After many many many years we are getting a real live true to life factory supercharged hemi.

I expect a lot.

I am sure I will not be disappointed.
 
1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Top