Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Automated System
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

An Allpar reader caught this Dodge Challenger, fully instrumented and “sounding like a vacuum cleaner,” running along Michigan roads. It appears as though it might be a testbed for the upcoming 6.2 liter supercharged “HellCat” Hemi, which various sources are claiming to be powered at anywhere from 550 hp to 700 hp. Since the ZF eight-speed automatic to be used with the engine is good for just 660 lb-ft, that will probably be the limit for torque, unless, like the current 392 Hemi Challenger SRT8, the car also has an optional six-speed manual transmission. In that case, Chrysler could conceivably go beyond the automatic’s torque limit to provide an extra incentive to “go manual.” At this point, Allpar believes that the engine will end up rated around 580-600 horsepower, given the need for a 200,000 mile design life, durability and reliability concerns throughout the powertrain and chassis, the ability..

View the original, full post

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Is there sound in the video?

Mike

·
Registered
210 Posts
Seems like the video has not sound at all :( , when I read about the sound I was very excited.

Well I hope that you can upload a video with the sound as described.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I thought it was just me as my phone sometimes doesnt play sounds with videos guess not.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Glad to see I wasn't the only one disappointed. A video of a moving vehicle, anyone can take that. I wanted the sound!

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Dave said:
Well, now we know what the 2014 or 2015 300 sRT will look like.
Updated headlamps and tail lamps for sure!

Mike

·
3,813 Posts
Dave said:
Well, now we know what the 2014 or 2015 300 sRT will look like.
How do we know that is even a new or recent picture? Could be an older stock photo. (take for instance that the Viper is an older model)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Automatic only! THAT SUCKS Chrysler!!!! Lets get serious here, this new engine and Challenger must be available with a 6 or 7 speed manual trans or don't even bother with it at all. What, are you turning into another Toyota-like car manufacturer? Glad I got my 6 speed Challenger RT when I did!

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
awolb69 said:
Automatic only! THAT SUCKS Chrysler!!!! Lets get serious here, this new engine and Challenger must be available with a 6 or 7 speed manual trans or don't even bother with it at all. What, are you turning into another Toyota-like car manufacturer? Glad I got my 6 speed Challenger RT when I did!
Geez, jump the gun a little? While most people refuse to admit it... The auto is the predominant seller in pretty much all cars these days. Not offering a manual with the Hellcat means nothing. However, I still think a manual Hellcat may still be in the cards.

For such a big talker, do you realize you bought the "volume" selling version of the Challenger? Congrats on your *Toyota style* purchase. It's a "bad boy" as they say in the Camry commercials.

Don't worry, I have one too.

Mike

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I thought all indication were favouring a stick with the hellcat due to it's power level being above current zf's range in the upcoming 2015 Challenger...
And by the way awolb69 , auto's are faster ...

·
Registered
20 Posts
awolb69 said:
Test car in the video looked to be a stick by the way it rolled back a little just before he took off.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Allpar News System said:

An Allpar reader caught this Dodge Challenger, fully instrumented and “sounding like a vacuum cleaner,” running along Michigan roads. It appears as though it might be a testbed for the upcoming 6.2 liter supercharged “HellCat” Hemi, which various sources are claiming to be powered at anywhere from 550 hp to 700 hp. Since the ZF eight-speed automatic to be used with the engine is good for just 660 lb-ft, that will probably be the limit for torque, unless, like the current 392 Hemi Challenger SRT8, the car also has an optional six-speed manual transmission. In that case, Chrysler could conceivably go beyond the automatic’s torque limit to provide an extra incentive to “go manual.” At this point, Allpar believes that the engine will end up rated around 580-600 horsepower, given the need for a 200,000 mile design life, durability and reliability concerns throughout the powertrain and chassis, the ability..

View the original, full post
I'm curious : Couldn't they arrange to divert some 8-Speeds from the regular line and build those with tougher components - a 'competition built' Auto Trans? If possible that could enable them to funnel more grunt through. Some specialty shops already do that; perhaps they'd contract with some known experts to get that done. I dunno - just wondering if that's plausible.

·
Registered
491 Posts
awolb69 said:
Vehicles with a stick shift option only have about a 5% take rate, which why you don't it offered much any more. It really should not come as a surprise at all.

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
JavelinAMX said:
I'm curious : Couldn't they arrange to divert some 8-Speeds from the regular line and build those with tougher components - a 'competition built' Auto Trans? If possible that could enable them to funnel more grunt through. Some specialty shops already do that; perhaps they'd contract with some known experts to get that done. I dunno - just wondering if that's plausible.
Not a transmission expert, but my understanding is that you would have to change all the gears subjected to high teeth stress with custom made ones, plus other mods to ensure durability. In short: it would cost a fortune.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts