Allpar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Automated System
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allpar has been reporting on the development of the supercharged 6.2 Hemi for many months now, and estimates of its power have varied over that time. We were assured that it was supposed to have 700 horsepower, but we’ve been down that path before with the 6.4 (600 hp rumored, 470 hp reality) and other engines. It’s hard to tell how much is initial optimistic expectations, how much is first-run dyno figures (cut back later as things like alternators, pumps, and oil pans are added), and how much is going from gross to SAE net horsepower.

For the 6.2 Hemi, therefore, we took 700 horsepower, subtracted an abritrary 60 for gross-to-net, then another 60 for changes to make sure the engine can last the now-standard 200,000 miles under the crazy conditions to which owners will subject it. We have been told by several sources now that our estimate of..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
667 Posts
*IF* 600 horsepower at rear-wheels, and estimated 4300lb.-vehicle, estimated 1/4-mile would be around 11.20's to 11.40's at around 120m.p.h. !! Good grief! That's impressive if it comes true! Time to start selling everything and saving money!

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
jam1 said:
*IF* 600 horsepower at rear-wheels, and estimated 4300lb.-vehicle, estimated 1/4-mile would be around 11.20's to 11.40's at around 120m.p.h. !! Good grief! That's impressive if it comes true! Time to start selling everything and saving money!
It's worth noting that the GT500 has 600RWHP and weighs 3900lbs. and it manages 11.60s @ 126-128. At that curb weight ( I understand that is just an estimate for argues sake), and HP, 11.20s-11.40s is a bit optimistic. Traction becomes the enemy. Suspension, chassis becomes a riddle. I am hopeful that SRT shows off a bit with this Hellcat. They just need to cut the performance gap in half or more, to be successful.

·
Registered
246 Posts
With the Mustang having a 500+ lb. advantage the Hellcat, a new engine that puts down 600 rwhp is needed badly. Other wise prepare to be smoked by lighter Ford and GM offerings. Dodge badly needs a halo vehicle to show in the car mags. Speaking of which for the last couple of years they have had show downs between the GM & Ford offering ONLY. Hell even the Caddy SUV with the supercharged engine will smoke a SRT Dodge ...... how sad is that ??

Make Motor Trend , Car & Driver, Road & Track test drivers dirty their shorts

·
3,813 Posts
In general, the Challenger puts its power down better than a GT500, so we could see better 0-60 times and potentially even better 1/4 times...

·
Premium Member
20,078 Posts
GuidoFL said:
With the Mustang having a 500+ lb. advantage the Hellcat, a new engine that puts down 600 rwhp is needed badly. Other wise prepare to be smoked by lighter Ford and GM offerings. Dodge badly needs a halo vehicle to show in the car mags. Speaking of which for the last couple of years they have had show downs between the GM & Ford offering ONLY. Hell even the Caddy SUV with the supercharged engine will smoke a SRT Dodge ...... how sad is that ??

Make Motor Trend , Car & Driver, Road & Track test drivers dirty their shorts
Halo car? Challenger isn't halo enough? Viper isn't halo enough? SRT(et al) isn't halo enough?

It's not the amount of horsepower or torque the engine puts out (in a category, you know what I mean), it is what you can do with it.

Remember, putting forced induction on any engine (yeah, you can have 1200hp out of a 2.0 4 cylinder engine), it is, after all, forced induction and you can make any number you want by the amount one puts into the engine, more important is how strong the components are in order to make it hold together longer than the competition, much more important than whether or not Chevy or Ford have larger numbers.

·
Registered
958 Posts
i was really hoping to buy the new barracuda. i fully believe that the challenger is just too big. i would love it as a cruiser, but the only way to reduce it's mass is to get rid of most of its comfort (like sound deadening). what it really needed was to be 8/10ths size. i feel that i would not pay 60 or 70 thousand dollars for an uncomfortable, but fast car. i will have to wait for the barracuda, and see if it suits me well. if not, i will probably choose the 392 challenger.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
sickboy said:
i was really hoping to buy the new barracuda. i fully believe that the challenger is just too big. i would love it as a cruiser, but the only way to reduce it's mass is to get rid of most of its comfort (like sound deadening). what it really needed was to be 8/10ths size. i feel that i would not pay 60 or 70 thousand dollars for an uncomfortable, but fast car. i will have to wait for the barracuda, and see if it suits me well. if not, i will probably choose the 392 challenger.
The "Barracuda" may just be a program name, so save yourself the angst and get the Challenger, it's a great car, it's not that big and not that heavy and has way more power than you can use on the street.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
It's too bad the GT500 doesn't really have a 500lb weight advantage like many people on the I telnet would love for you to believe. Most GT500s weigh in between 3800 and 3950.

Mike

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just picked these numbers off of the Motor Authority web site for MY 2013 models:

Mustang GT 500: 650 hp / 600 ft lbs............ $54,200., loaded

Camaro ZL1: 580 hp / 556 ft lb. .................... $54,995., loaded

As we know the
Challenger SRT.......... 470 hp...... appox. $50,000 and up.

Halo vehicle .......... Viper ? If you see one with a Dodge name plate you know it's post 2013. Challenger SRT looks great but quoting Motor Tread " The Dodge is down on hp ...the SRT Challenger is not competive".

Having said that look at my avatar to see what I'm driving and it's not a PU, SUV, or mini van. We out class them .... BUT
Mike V. said:
It's too bad the GT500 doesn't really have a 500lb weight advantage like many people on the I telnet would love for you to believe. Most GT500s weigh in between 3800 and 3950.

Mike
And the SRT Challenger weights ............... ?? It's HP to pounds as we all know and torque for street driving.

·
Registered
958 Posts
GuidoFL said:
Just picked these numbers off of the Motor Authority web site for MY 2013 models:

Mustang GT 500: 650 hp / 600 ft lbs............ $54,200., loaded

Camaro ZL1: 580 hp / 556 ft lb. .................... $54,995., loaded

As we know the
Challenger SRT.......... 470 hp...... appox. $50,000 and up.

Halo vehicle .......... Viper ? If you see one with a Dodge name plate you know it's post 2013. Challenger SRT looks great but quoting Motor Tread " The Dodge is down on hp ...the SRT Challenger is not competive".

Having said that look at my avatar to see what I'm driving and it's not a PU, SUV, or mini van. We out class them .... BUT

And the SRT Challenger weights ............... ?? It's HP to pounds as we all know and torque for street driving.
fair enough, but i still have to sell this to the wife. i was looking towards a used viper, but don't quite need something "hairy". misplace the throttle of the gt 500 at any time and they'll be cleaning me out with a hose. maybe 470 is enough for the street. perhaps if i had the millions to be buying a track only car, 700hp might be a good idea. i still have a young kid.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
GuidoFL said:
As listed here many times, the SRT Challenger weights between 4000 and 4150 depending in options.

I have seen low option SRTs in the high 3900s. My high option R/T was 3950 at the dragstrip, the Camaro SS I spanked weighted in at 3865. He was not happy. The point is, the 500 pound weight difference between a Mustang and a Challenger, especially the GT500 is simply a myth. It's not true and never has been true. Same with the Camaro. At most they have a 250 pound advantage.

Automatic SRT Challengers run 12.50s out of the showroom 470hp... Yeah, it's underrated.

Mike

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I ran a 12.5 and I had to launch reeeaaallly soft, I can't wait for a good track.
You could build a Walmart between me and the 72 challenger (360&slicks&gears) I spanked

1 - 14 of 14 Posts