Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Auto writers responsible for choosing the North American Car and Truck of the Year have released their list of contenders for 2014, to be awarded at the Detroit auto show in January 2014. GM dominates the list, with no less than five Chevrolets and two Cadillacs, but Chrysler has its Ram Heavy Duty and Jeep Cherokee in contention. In cars, there are no Chrysler entries, but the Maserati Ghibli, Fiat 500L, and Fiat 500e all made the cut; Mercedes has four cars (B, CLA, E, and S class), and Kia has three (Cadenze, Forte, Soul). In trucks, the Ram Heavy Duty (2500/3500) pickups and Jeep Grand Cherokee will compete against a smaller field which includes Ford Transit Connect/Wagon, the new Silverado and Sierra, Nissan Rogue and NV200, and Toyota 4Runner, Tundra, and RAV4, among others.  The next step is pare down the lists to five cars and five trucks...

View the original, full post

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Don't see how, by any stretch of the imagination, the Dodge ram 1500 with Pentastar with 8 speed, could have been omitted from that list.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Which one is getting nominated, Cherokee or Grand Cherokee or Both?

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
MoparNorm said:
So,...it's automatically excluded because it's already proven good? Then include the diesel Dodge Ram.
"The only eligible vehicles are those which have been “substantially changed” from the prior model and go on sale “shortly” after the award is announced, with projected sales of at least 2,000 trucks or 5,000 cars. Last year, Ram 1500 won Truck while Cadillac ATS won Car."

Not sure if the 1500 diesel met the criteria for this year. :unsure:

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
dmcdonald said:
"The only eligible vehicles are those which have been “substantially changed” from the prior model and go on sale “shortly” after the award is announced, with projected sales of at least 2,000 trucks or 5,000 cars. Last year, [/size]Ram 1500 won Truck while Cadillac ATS won Car." [/size]

Not sure if the 1500 diesel met the criteria for this year. :unsure:[/size] [/size] [/size]
Based upon recent history, although the diesel has been announced, we no longer know what "shortly" means at Chrysler. Initially Mr. Marchionne said it meant 90 days or less, however recent production starts have been much longer than that, after the initial announcement.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
The more I read at Allpar.com, the more I learn from the inside, and the more I learn about the automotive press, the less I believe in their objectivity.

Muther.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Muther said:
The more I read at Allpar.com, the more I learn from the inside, and the more I learn about the automotive press, the less I believe in their objectivity.
Muther.
While Im not a big fan of the press, (or their objectivity) the press has little to do with the numerous contradictory statements and purposeful misdirections.
Especially when he is caught on tape for many of them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts