Allpar Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Reliable source oh2o wrote that the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel has again been pushed back, and is now set for a third quarter 2013 launch. The delay is consistent with delayed launches of numerous other vehicles, with the largest public delay the launch of the Dodge Dart GT (née Dart R/T). The Ram 1500 diesel has also been pushed back; both use the same VM 3-liter V6 diesel engine, a state of the art powerplant to be used, in modified form, by Maserati. The diesel provides the best fuel economy of any engine in the Grand Cherokee, as well as the most torque; while it is short on horsepower compared with the gasoline engines, many buyers may find the high torque and relatively low fuel usage to be a satisfactory tradeoff. The torque would especially be handy for those who tow heavy loads or up steep or long..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well,

My Father In Law has been to three dealers to try and order a CRD GC. Hes gotten three different answers. One said its been delayed, another said he would look into it and the third said GC wasnt going to come with a CRD. Its nice to see that at least maybe Jeep is going to come clean and tell folks they are going to have to wait.

Thorack

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Thorack said:
Well,

My Father In Law has been to three dealers to try and order a CRD GC. Hes gotten three different answers. One said its been delayed, another said he would look into it and the third said GC wasnt going to come with a CRD. Its nice to see that at least maybe Jeep is going to come clean and tell folks they are going to have to wait.

Thorack
Or the people he spoke to need to become informed.

Sadly, it's very easy to have sale people who are not well informed. We Allpar members are a bit spoiled by great sales people who are members here.

Mike

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
508 Posts
This is reminding me of the,"Hey the Wrangler is getting a diesel!!" stories heard time and again.

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
Stomper said:
This is reminding me of the,"Hey the Wrangler is getting a diesel!!" stories heard time and again.
Nopers. Nothing like that, as not only has the GC CRD been seen in person by people, but the critics have been given the demo vehicles and been able to drive them around. The CRD is happening.

This is just BAU these days. Everything is delayed now. I think Chrysler is almost deserving of it's own name now given the ability to delay every single product.

·
Registered
167 Posts
From what I have heard is that it will show up in allocations next month, only time will tell. My guess is that the 1500 diesel will be a 2014 model. I have several people that want to see the Grand with the diesel. What I see is that the product is not there when the interest is high and it slowly goes away. I understand that the factory wants to make it perfect before the launch, I get that. But why not wait to release it until it is ready to go. Only one man knows that reason.
Send me a message and I will do my best to keep anyone updated with any news I hear or when it opens up for orders.

·
Defender of Reality
2,941 Posts
Moderators - can we combine this thread with the one where oh2o broke that news that it's been delayed well into the 3rd quarter?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't know how anyone can think the GC diesel isn't happening, especially a salesman. It's on jeep.com as an option, and Jeep has been advertising it for weeks. It is a little disconcerting about how long it's taking to get to market. Mike Manley said at the New York auto show in late March that diesels would be in dealer showrooms "next month."

Also, what's up with the comment, "suppliers’ reluctance to ramp up production out of fear that the car market will suddenly collapse"? That is comple nonsense - the penalties to a supplier of not being ready for launch timing are enormous. If the delays are in the supply chain, you can rest assured it's because of production problems or lack of resources due to capacity shortages, and not some reluctance to make parts!

·
Registered
167 Posts
guyver[this word has been banned due to its use as a pointless flame tool said:
y]

I really want a Grand Cherokee diesel 4x4! I wonder what the real world mpg will be...
I bet it should be really close. Everything that I have tested is as stated or better. My Hemi 300C gets better then stated city and highway economy.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Driven car review plus video.

MSN UK Jeep Grand Cherokee review
So it's the 3.0 CRD which we test here. Performance is well judged, the 250hp and 420lb ft V6 turbodiesel affording decent overtaking ability and wafting along with a serene refinement on the motorway, too. For the first time, a lower-output 190hp version of the same diesel will be available only in the cheapest entry-level model, but 95% of diesel sales will be the higher-output model we tested. The new ZF eight-speed automatic gearbox is standard across the range, smoothly swapping cogs in the background and reducing revs to a relaxed 1,700rpm at dual carriageway speeds.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Whoever in Chrysler announces these launch schedules..they seriously need to look at lead times, availability of parts, assy. line requirements, etc. Wouldn't that be the 'normal' way of doing business ?
I don't think anyone would mind when the actual launch happens....just be realistic. Many people buy on impulse and emotion and all these delays just 'deflate' the moment.
If it's 3rd qtr....4th....or whatever. Just say so knowing the process and the product will be ready at that time.
Who ARE these people ??

·
Registered
69 Posts
DaveAdmin said:
As for the suppliers comment, that's gleaned from on various Automotive News articles and statements from auto executives.
It may be true in a very, very broad sense - for example, suppliers may be reluctant to increase capacity by adding manufacturing space, which might cause a shortage of capable suppliers when the OE is seeking quotes on new programs. But the comment does not explain why a product launch is delayed by a few months. The suppliers for this (and any other) program were awarded the contracts years ago. When the successful suppliers signed on, they already had a manufacturing plan in mind, and the products are in pre-production well before the launch date. In short, the comment can explain why a long-range project might be delayed 6 months, but it does not explain why something that was supposed to launch last month is delayed by a couple months.

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,104 Posts
There has been a couple of NYC radio stations with Jeep 3.0 commercials, can't be that far behind unless the release was an error.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts