Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Enjoying the ride.
2,165 Posts
Thats a shame. No doubt it will be replaced by some "exciting" new SUV/CUV. At least it looked distinctive. All these wagons just look all the same to me. I'm glad I can easily spot my vanilla cream colored 300C in a mass of grey and silver SUVs....

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't say it is another casualty of CUVs, but that it is another casualty of changing tastes in buyers.
Or...a casualty of innovation.

·
Jeepaholic
6,404 Posts
My wife and I have enjoyed the ever-entertaining game of Punch Buggies whenever we are in the car together. I suppose the games will get a bit more challenging with fewer buggies on the road... Punch Rogues or Punch CRV's doesn't have the same ring to it...

·
Banned
2,908 Posts
The classic beetle was cheaper then a valiant, Nova and Falcon. The new Beetle totally misses the original point of the, a economical car for the folks. I hate it.

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My wife and I have enjoyed the ever-entertaining game of Punch Buggies whenever we are in the car together. I suppose the games will get a bit more challenging with fewer buggies on the road... Punch Rogues or Punch CRV's doesn't have the same ring to it...
Punch Fiats.

·
Banned
15,295 Posts
Punch Challenger

·
Super Moderator
7,076 Posts
How about Punch Kicks. That should be fun while driving. ;)

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Super Moderator
7,076 Posts
I can’t read the article. Does it mention that the idea of a RWD-based electric Beetle, possible 4 door, is off the table? That is the last rumor I heard.

·
Jeepaholic
6,404 Posts
A Beetle with more ground clearance and AWD done up like a Baja Bug would be cool.
Super Beetle Baja!! We saw a ton of these, in all types of variants, when we were visiting my grandparents in Arizona when I was a kid. I thought they were the coolest thing everrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :)

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Off-road vehicle Motor vehicle

Reactions: danbek and page2171

·
Banned
1,168 Posts
Good. I dislike both versions with a passion. The old one was ugly (ok to be kinder lacked any style at all) and noisy and the new one somehow managed to be poor imitation to that that.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
That’s it folks:
VW to end Beetle output in 2019
Another casualty of CUVs.
I think it's as much a casualty of botching a re-style.

The first "New Beetle" majored on "cute", and sold strongly to people who liked the fun image of "Herbie", but sensibly didn't want to drive a 1930s car everywhere. The design team (based in California) was also very clever in its influences: it took its direction from the Bauhaus school; one of the few styles from 1930s Germany that was un-tainted by the NS regime. The result was one of the most original car designs of the 1990s, which is a strange thing to say about a retro car, but the brilliance of the original "New Beetle" was how it was able to be recognised as a "Beetle" without actually looking very much like the original 1930s car.

When VW did the second "New Beetle" in 2012 it looks like they tried to "man-up" the design, by lowering the roofline, giving it a more aggressive front and pulling the rear window back to meet the rear arches (the original 1994 concept had this feature, but the designers dropped it when doing the 1998 car). They turned a car which had a strong emotional appeal into "just another Volkswagen".

I wonder did VW know this, because the current "beetle" is the only VW car ever to be badged as "Beetle" (or "Käfer"*, or "Maggioline", "Fusca", etc. by country). I never understood why they needed to do this: there are only a few cars in the world that need no nameplate badge, and this was one of them. The first revival was correct in not badging the car at all: the rear had a large VW logo, and no visible name, but the shape of it said "VW Bug" without needing a badge (and "VW Bug" illustrates the problem: "Beetle" was the most common English name, but it wasn't the only one).

[ * in case you're wondering, in Dutch, it's called "Beetle" as the proper translation "kaver" is almost a soundalike of the (entirely unrelated) racial epithet. ]

·
Registered
4,688 Posts

It could've been CUV-ized by moving to a sort of half-way point between current Beetle and the 60's-ish Transporter/Kombi/Bus with a bit of ground clearance - roof height proportional. AWD maybe ...

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think it's as much a casualty of botching a re-style.

The first "New Beetle" majored on "cute", and sold strongly to people who liked the fun image of "Herbie", but sensibly didn't want to drive a 1930s car everywhere. The design team (based in California) was also very clever in its influences: it took its direction from the Bauhaus school; one of the few styles from 1930s Germany that was un-tainted by the NS regime. The result was one of the most original car designs of the 1990s, which is a strange thing to say about a retro car, but the brilliance of the original "New Beetle" was how it was able to be recognised as a "Beetle" without actually looking very much like the original 1930s car.

When VW did the second "New Beetle" in 2012 it looks like they tried to "man-up" the design, by lowering the roofline, giving it a more aggressive front and pulling the rear window back to meet the rear arches (the original 1994 concept had this feature, but the designers dropped it when doing the 1998 car). They turned a car which had a strong emotional appeal into "just another Volkswagen".

I wonder did VW know this, because the current "beetle" is the only VW car ever to be badged as "Beetle" (or "Käfer"*, or "Maggioline", "Fusca", etc. by country). I never understood why they needed to do this: there are only a few cars in the world that need no nameplate badge, and this was one of them. The first revival was correct in not badging the car at all: the rear had a large VW logo, and no visible name, but the shape of it said "VW Bug" without needing a badge (and "VW Bug" illustrates the problem: "Beetle" was the most common English name, but it wasn't the only one).

[ * in case you're wondering, in Dutch, it's called "Beetle" as the proper translation "kaver" is almost a soundalike of the (entirely unrelated) racial epithet. ]
Most likely, VW execs heard in consumer clinics that they wished New Beetle had a more masculine image and, taking the information out of context, VW set out to do just that.

History is full of great designs followed up by mediocre ones...like the early 2000s Dodge Dakota and Durango, 2005-2010 Chrysler 300, the original Infiniti G35, etc.

Maybe VW should have tried turning Beetle into a franchise like Mini did, adding a 4-door and a CUV. Ultimately, 2-doors are not enough to sustain volume.

Reactions: Erik Latranyi
1 - 20 of 28 Posts