Allpar Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Automated System
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Volkswagen-Audi Group officials told the media today that they are not buying Jeep. While the idea had been discussed with Sergio Marchionne, the Fiat-Chrysler CEO has said that Jeep is an essential part of the companies’ product and brand portfolio. Volkswagen has also denied reports that it is buying Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Maserati, Fiat itself, Chrysler, Dodge, Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, and honey-flavored ham.  (Thus endeth the requisite April 1st post.)

View the original, full post

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
kdaviper said:
I think they should sell the rest of ChryCo as well. All the profits are coming from Alfa Romeo anyways:{)
Dang and here I thought Lancia was supporting the company!

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Well what the heck?

This really doesn't clear anything up now does it?

So is Volkswagen group buying Alfa or not?

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Muther said:
Well what the heck?

This really doesn't clear anything up now does it?

So is Volkswagen group buying Alfa or not?
Its an April fools joke man

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
What about Eagle, Plymouth, AMC, Kaiser, Willys, Desoto, Hudson, Nash, EMF, or Kelvinator?

Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
I'm announcing, that Im not buying VW...

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
MoparNorm said:
I'm announcing, that Im not buying VW...
Me neither! A friend of mine had an Audi A6 and once got a rear flat tire, and it had lug bolts, not lug nuts for the wheels. We had raised the one wheel up and pulled it but the jack got unstable and the car started to shift because he had forgotten to set the parking brake, once he did set it we realized that without wheel studs sticking out from the hub the rotor had shifted relative to the hub and we couldn't put the lug bolts back in. We had to scavenge for something to block the front wheels and to lower the control arm on to so that we could let the parking brake off to realign the rotor to the hub before we could put the wheel back on. It SUCKED.

EDIT: Oh, I thought you said you wouldn't buy A VW...

·
Registered
243 Posts
TWX said:
Me neither! A friend of mine had an Audi A6 and once got a rear flat tire, and it had lug bolts, not lug nuts for the wheels. We had raised the one wheel up and pulled it but the jack got unstable and the car started to shift because he had forgotten to set the parking brake, once he did set it we realized that without wheel studs sticking out from the hub the rotor had shifted relative to the hub and we couldn't put the lug bolts back in. We had to scavenge for something to block the front wheels and to lower the control arm on to so that we could let the parking brake off to realign the rotor to the hub before we could put the wheel back on. It SUCKED.

EDIT: Oh, I thought you said you wouldn't buy A VW...
I owned two A6 in my life and I did get some unreliability issues: materials, powertrain, transmission, gearbox etc. are great but a good engineered car is not necessarely a dependable car.

Now I'm waiting to see the new Alfas, which historically are even worse in the reliability department, but I think and hope things have changed for the better, it seems to be the case with the Giulietta, will see ;).

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
VW's, in fact most German cars, are engineered with the mechanic in mind, they are relatively easy to work on...unfortunately, they need to be worked upon often... ;)

Reactions: 55Plaza

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Too bad. One thing I have noticed about VW. They seem to remember why you have glass and windows on a vehicle. They haven't gone the way of goofy styling that robs visibility. VW's appear to be designed by practical people.

This CrossBlue concept looks more practical than the KL. If this body had a Jeep grill on the front I would buy a new Cherokee that looked like that. And the wheel arches are already the right shape.
And the conservative, practical styling of VW must be getting noticed by more than just me. The number of new VW's on the road has easily doubled in my area. (Remember, I'm talking about styling). it still remains to be seen if quality has improved. But people buy on looks not just repair ratings.

I find the clean VW styling very refreshing compared to the 'makes no sense curves and lines everywhere that don't match' look that so many vehicles have today.

·
Registered
530 Posts
CherokeeVision said:
Too bad. One thing I have noticed about VW. They seem to remember why you have glass and windows on a vehicle. They haven't gone the way of goofy styling that robs visibility. VW's appear to be designed by practical people.

This CrossBlue concept looks more practical than the KL. If this body had a Jeep grill on the front I would buy a new Cherokee that looked like that. And the wheel arches are already the right shape.
And the conservative, practical styling of VW must be getting noticed by more than just me. The number of new VW's on the road has easily doubled in my area. (Remember, I'm talking about styling). it still remains to be seen if quality has improved. But people buy on looks not just repair ratings.

I find the clean VW styling very refreshing compared to the 'makes no sense curves and lines everywhere that don't match' look that so many vehicles have today.
Well, not a new Cherokee... but...

The crossblue looks very much like a Grand Cherokee.

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
MoparNorm said:
VW's, in fact most German cars, are engineered with the mechanic in mind, they are relatively easy to work on...unfortunately, they need to be worked upon often... ;)
Errrr, you made this post after april 1st, soooo did you mean that. It's always felt like, to me, that German cars are designed with specific intent to PISS off the person trying to service them. VWs incorporate some very odd designs that feel like the only purpose it serves it to make it harder than it should be to fix. Heck, even headlights on a surprising number of VWs require a bizarre amount of effort to replace.

·
Registered
530 Posts
bumonbox said:
Errrr, you made this post after april 1st, soooo did you mean that. It's always felt like, to me, that German cars are designed with specific intent to PISS off the person trying to service them. VWs incorporate some very odd designs that feel like the only purpose it serves it to make it harder than it should be to fix. Heck, even headlights on a surprising number of VWs require a bizarre amount of effort to replace.
I think many vehicles, regardless of their national origin, are this way. My brother's Cavalier required you remove the front right tire to access the oil filter (I wish I was kidding). The vehicles are designed usually for ease of assembly first, then ease of maintenance. That being said, I've had better luck with the Mopar products I have owned versus others. The one time I had to work on a VW Passat was an exercise in frustration though...

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
SouthPawXJ said:
I think many vehicles, regardless of their national origin, are this way. My brother's Cavalier required you remove the front right tire to access the oil filter (I wish I was kidding). The vehicles are designed usually for ease of assembly first, then ease of maintenance. That being said, I've had better luck with the Mopar products I have owned versus others. The one time I had to work on a VW Passat was an exercise in frustration though...
I've just found VWs in particular to incorporate very strange things.

Of course, some may have not cared for the battery under the air filter box and what not in the LHs. Initially I found it irritating, then I got used to and I can pretty quickly take that stuff to get to the terminals. Of course, I still find the prospect of replacing the battery a bit more annoying, but at 150k miles, on an 11 year old car I've only had to do it once, and that was 2 years ago, and the battery still had life left in it too. So it's not too big a deal. I have had to tend to corroded terminals more than once though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm just glad the battery in my Charger is in the trunk. Very easy to get too.

Unlike my friend's Grand Prix, where you have to remove a set of braces the covers the engine and then remove the washer fluid bottle to reach the battery. Of course with Mom's Avenger you have to remove the wheel well lining to access the battery.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
bumonbox said:
:lol:
To feel better, simply work on a Japanese car... ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts