Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Automated System
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Numerous American media outlets have picked up on Manager Magazin’s claim that Volkswagen’s chairman, Ferdinand Piech, has spoken with members of the Agnelli family about combining the two companies, presumably with the larger Volkswagen firmly in charge. Mr. Piech is part of the family that controls Volkswagen, while Mr. Agnelli is part of the family that controls Fiat (through ownership of 30% of the shares). One version of the story has just the Fiat brand moving to Volkswagen, as FCA wants to focus on upscale vehicles. Fiat issued a press relies flatly denying the claim, but that did not stop its shares from rising and Volkswagen’s from falling. At least one analyst told Bloomberg that the rumor was “realistic.” Fiat is currently trying to establish itself more firmly as a worldwide company, building up its distribution channels and product lines, particularly in the Asia/Pacific region, and using the Jeep, Fiat, and Maserati..

View the original, full post

·
Super Moderator
13,936 Posts
I hope not if the durability of VW cars is any indication. IMHO the modern ones are significantly more frail than any current Chrysler product where long term reliability is concerned...........

·
10,444 Posts
Piech just wants Marchionne out of a job!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Sell Fiat to VW, keep the rest. And on top of that, can someone please photoshop a Dodge Crosshair Grille onto a VW Beetle? LOL

·
Fits and Finishes
1,108 Posts
The end of the article tells us that it is false.

But if there cannot be an independent Chrysler, I'd rather see her owned by VW than Fiat.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Mopartial said:
The end of the article tells us that it is false.

But if there cannot be an independent Chrysler, I'd rather see her owned by VW than Fiat.
The curse, wrongly attributed to the Chinese as if it were a Proverb : "May you live in interesting times,' seems to fit here.

I haven't formed a sound conclusion yet, with rumor swirling; but I do think that Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram would suffer in public perception of having yet a third 'owner'. I know there is little to nothing that can be done about such things when the companies cannot stand alone (perhaps now they can, based solely on having had over 50 straight months of sales increases - and since the stock was bumped up a bit when this news hit).

But I'm convinced there'd be a lingering negative affect with a third owner. Other details would have to emerge which would flesh-out how things would transpire before anyone here could comment much further; but there'd be a 'hit' against the brands, IMO.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The Germans always hanker after Italian and British brands. Why? of course they get a bit of flair, and not the least design, which is a word the Germans may be able to spell, but never execute into something good looking. And last but not least, the prestige.
The only German automaker which insists on going it alone, is M-B. So they bring out flop ( 60s 600) after flop (Maybach) in an attempt at competing with the true high end automotive products...........and they fail, and they fail.
Mr Piech has been wanting Alfa Romeo for years. It has not happened, and there should be a law against German car makers being allowed to buy "interesting" brands, and clone them into the not very good looking, very often extremely boooooring, corporate VW group product.
So to Fiat cars. Fiat has been treated rather like a stepchild lately, apart from the 500 range and the Panda. But look at the rest of the range, like the Punto, and the Bravo. Better looking than any comparable VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat model, and the quality is on par,if not better than any of mr Piech's comparable products. The myth, and it is a myth, of German cars' superior quality, ought to be laid to rest.

v.b. said:
Because it is German. We all know how German ownership is the only way to great things.

v
BOLLOCKS

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts

·
What color are the clouds in your world?
30,506 Posts
v.b. said:
Really? I thought that Chrysler fans were really missing the Daimler days. On an unrelated note, do we have a sarcasm emoticon?

V
Type in:
Code:
[sarc] type your message here [/sarc]

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
What color are the clouds in your world?
30,506 Posts
[Sarc] to get a message like this [/sarc]

The yellow bar shows the sarcastic message.

Reactions: guyverfanboy

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
1 - 20 of 71 Posts