Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Automated System
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new one-metric-ton pickup is reportedly to be built in Toluca, Mexico, in 2014 or 2015. The Mexican factory was chosen largely because the pickup is to be exported to Europe, South America, and North America, and Mexico straddles both North and South American free trade zones. While some readers have posited that the new Ram would be based on the Fiat Strada (which is the basis for the rendering below), this seems unlikely given that it shows up as an American platform in corporate presentations.

Observers believe this pickup will be smaller than the most recent Dakota, most likely coming closest in size to the (Mitsubishi-sourced) Ram 50. The primary target markets are outside the United States, but it will fill an empty part of Chrysler’s product line in the US, too; should fuel prices suddenly rise, buyers will find an economical Ram. In addition, Chrysler can be..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
694 Posts
Could it possibly be based off the Cherokee?

Seems it would be very easy to base if off the Durango/G Cherokee but I doubt it due to weight (something that killed the old Dakota)

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Assuming that one-metric-ton refers to the payload capacity of the bed, rather than the weight of the vehicle itself, I don't think that a unibody truck will be the direction that they head in. Vans can be unibody with that kind of payload capacity because they're complete shells surrounding the cargo, so the roof and high sides handle some of the load. With pickup trucks, however, experiments with unibody trucks with beds with any significant size (ie, not GM's Avalanche) have usually resulted in excessive body flex that compromises the safety and integrity of the cab and doors. Ford's foray into the unibody F-series in the sixties showed that much, even with a frame underneath.

Without the long roof of a wagon or van, I don't expect a new one-ton truck to be unibody. What I do wonder about is how wide frame spacing and wheel well spacing in the bed will be, and how much from existing platforms can be used in such a new vehicle. Would RAM's frame, or some dimensions of it, be usable on a narrower, smaller truck? Could they cheat and get away with a lot of RAM under this new small truck, or would too much be different to make attempting to reuse any components simply be not worthwhile?

Or is there something from another platform, like the RT minivan or its successor, that could lend itself well to this application?

·
Registered
7,389 Posts

Butch this up and you will have it.

A metric Ton is 1000x1200x975 cube

·
Registered
90 Posts
I really like the Dodge Rampage. That's what the last Dakota should have looked like in stead of what we got.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Personally I like the Rampage style the best--a simple, downsized RAM truck. This could take advantage of some of the smaller available engines while still offering decent hauling/towing capability for the DIYer who is more likely to buy it.
My second choice would be the Fiat Strada with a RAM-styled front clip as shown in the first image while the minivan-based idea doesn't look too capable.
I'd love the Charger-based Ute, but that's the least likely of the bunch to actually be manufactured.

TripleT said:

Butch this up and you will have it.

A metric Ton is 1000x1200x975 cube
A metric tonne is 1,000 kilograms or approximately 2,250 pounds. You're talking weight, not volume.
TWX said:
Assuming that one-metric-ton refers to the payload capacity of the bed, rather than the weight of the vehicle itself, I don't think that a unibody truck will be the direction that they head in. Vans can be unibody with that kind of payload capacity because they're complete shells surrounding the cargo, so the roof and high sides handle some of the load. With pickup trucks, however, experiments with unibody trucks with beds with any significant size (ie, not GM's Avalanche) have usually resulted in excessive body flex that compromises the safety and integrity of the cab and doors. Ford's foray into the unibody F-series in the sixties showed that much, even with a frame underneath.

Without the long roof of a wagon or van, I don't expect a new one-ton truck to be unibody. What I do wonder about is how wide frame spacing and wheel well spacing in the bed will be, and how much from existing platforms can be used in such a new vehicle. Would RAM's frame, or some dimensions of it, be usable on a narrower, smaller truck? Could they cheat and get away with a lot of RAM under this new small truck, or would too much be different to make attempting to reuse any components simply be not worthwhile?

Or is there something from another platform, like the RT minivan or its successor, that could lend itself well to this application?
Your assumption starts out incorrect, since most trucks--at least here in the US--are rated by overall load capacity including all passengers and fluids. As such, the bed load capacity would be closer to about 1800 pounds with one driver and one passenger.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Vulpine said:
A metric tonne is 1,000 kilograms or approximately 2,250 pounds. You're talking weight, not volume.
I am well aware of what a metric tonne is in US pounds. ;)

The standard shipping cube of a metric tonne is roughly 40"x48"x38.5" that give an idea of the size bed needed.

·
Registered
431 Posts
The Rampage looks great. If they build something like it not too big with the 2.4, 3.2, and the 2.0 diesel I think they would have a hit. There are allot of people that don't want a full size, and there just aren't domestic options out there.

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
I hope they do something similar to suzq's rampage mixed with the Strada (with different cladding).

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
TWX said:

Metric ton Unibody pickup has been done successfully--http://www.allpar.com/trucks/jeep/comanche.html--surprised that this has to be pointed out againandagainandagain on a chrysler enthusiast site
RVC said:
I hope they do something similar to suzq's rampage mixed with the Strada (with different cladding).
That would be a good move, but I'm afraid they're more likely to go with a Cherokee derivative.

·
Registered
52 Posts
While I like the look of the Charger based concept I'm wondering if poor sales for the Chevy SSR (barely 24,000 in 3 years) might scare Chrysler away from that design. Agree with others the Rampage might be the one that appeals to most truck buyers. The 1500s are monstrously big and tough to squeeze into most spaces. Have to think medium sized pick up would be a good option to a lot of people.

·
Registered
560 Posts
For sanity's sake, let's hope they don't hang plastic crap all over it like that Avalanche with it's plastic snap together toy look.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
freshforged said:
Metric ton Unibody pickup has been done successfully--http://www.allpar.com/trucks/jeep/comanche.html--surprised that this has to be pointed out againandagainandagain on a chrysler enthusiast site
Not a true unibody. There's a separate bed that isn't integral with the cab, allowing for the load to flex the vehicle without breaking anything.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts