Allpar Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Automated System
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The editors of KBB.com, one of the top-ranked consumer pricing and information resources on the Internet, has named the Jeep Wrangler top its first-ever top ten list of SUVs under $25,000. The Jeep came in at number eight, but had the highest estimated residual value of any of the vehicles selected, retaining 55% of its original purchase price after five years. In naming the Wrangler to the list KBB.com editors write: "All of the SUVs on this list are worthy of praise yet there is a sameness about them. And then there is the Jeep Wrangler, whose unmistakable shape and trademark seven-slot grille set it apart from the herd. Born in World War II and now with 70 years of heritage behind it, the Wrangler is the quintessential off-roader." Through the end of April, the Wrangler was the fourth-best-selling of the ten vehicles on the KBB.com list. KBB.com's Ten..

View the original, full post

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
That chart should be in every Jeep Showroom in the country!
Here's the shocker: 5 Kia Sorento $8,460 30% $45,988
Who knew the dang Sorento was $45,988? It lost 70% of its value in 5 years.

Reactions: djsamuel

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
This made me chuckle:

"All of the SUVs on this list are worthy of praise yet there is a sameness about them"

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
MoparNorm said:
The Tiguan isn't great either, which surprised me.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
UN4GTBL said:
The Tiguan isn't great either, which surprised me.
Yep, second worst, but it's no surprise if you follow VW dependability claims.
Consumers haven't done their homework, when it comes to VW, their dependability is rather poor, and it shows in resell value.
If consumers did their homework VW sales would not be anywhere near as high as they are.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Their residual values look off. I find it hard to believe that a Wrangler will only be worth $12,716 in five years. Just look at prices of 2008s right now.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Rymanrph said:
Their residual values look off. I find it hard to believe that a Wrangler will only be worth $12,716 in five years. Just look at prices of 2008s right now.
Yes, the prices are very low for Wrangler. Around here you'd be lucky to find one under $22,000, so Im guessing there are some private party desperation sales included in the average.
However a stripped two door, will bring the average down from where a 4 door Rubicon, or Sahara sells at.

·
Super Moderator
36,941 Posts
Having just spent a lot of time looking at used Wranglers, I think they do even better than this story indicates for resale. It was to the point that unless I found a really good deal on a used one, it wasn't much more to buy new (comparing comparable equipment levels). The price difference between a 2010 or 2011 and a new 2013 was minor, especially considering the better engine in the 2013.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
DaveAdmin said:
Yup, I think it's desperation and "only the worst being sold."
Ha! Ha! Yes, anyone considering a used Rubicon, or any Wrangler in general, needs to seriously check it out and take an expert along, if possible.
The first thing to look at would be to crawl underneath and take a good look at the skid plates and low hanging fruit, especially for those claimed to be "never taken off road". That will be the first early warning sign of abuse, or hard use.
If the prices are close, buy new.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Look for signs of water submersion/rust also. I have run across Jeeps stuck in washes that started flowing "unexpectedly" and were in pretty deep, some were left for hours. Breathing tubes only go so high then water can get into important components.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Yep, always check gear oils, differential and transfer cases for signs of foaming. Water and oil still do not mix and bearing damage quickly follows.

·
Super Moderator
36,941 Posts
From all appearances, the used car lot was the furthest off road any of the used Wranglers I looked at went. They are VERY popular in town here among a certain demographic and that's probably why prices dropped a good bit once I got away from the metro area.

With the optional 4.10 gears I am happy with the 3.8 so far. The only item that needs attention I can find is a leaky steering damper.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Yes, the prices are very low for Wrangler. Around here you'd be lucky to find one under $22,000, so Im guessing there are some private party desperation sales included in the average.
However a stripped two door, will bring the average down from where a 4 door Rubicon, or Sahara sells at.
The only way the Wrangler makes this list is by optioning a stripped down base Sport stick.....(under 25k) with a 55% residual after 5 years therefore $12,716 sounds about right.....Which in my opinion is incredibly good for a 5year old 60K+ miled base roll up no air Wrangler

This Unlimited Rubicon which will sell for over $40k will be 22k+ in great condition with low miles in 5 years..........

Rymanrph said:
MoparNorm said:

·
Registered
106 Posts
...and that's the reason we picked up a 2012 and a 2013 JKU new. The used prices are still very high. I also was beginning to see the same thing Norm was talking about - lots of trail evidence on a "never seen dirt" advertisement. One such described 2011 Rubicon looked great on the outside. Inside, I noticed the carpeting looked like it wasn't quite in the right place. I looked under it and that told a different tale than was advertised: a massive crimp in the exhaust curtesy of what appeared to be a rock along with a BUNCH of major scrapes, and a body plug missing...meaning someone had to drain the interior at one point.

Went new and never looked back. Jeeps of any kind keep their value in Colorado. You can't believe what used XJs are getting out here!

·
Registered
508 Posts
dreinecke said:
a body plug missing...meaning someone had to drain the interior at one point.
Speaking of that I was just going over my rig after the latest run and noticed the bottom brackets of the seat frames are showing some surface rust. I have not been stuck in water (anything less than 20 minutes does not count I tell you!!) but due to poor planning my Jeep has been outside in the rain without its top on a couple of times. Time to remove the seats and Rustoleum or POR, or maybe splurge on some nice seats and 4 point belts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts