Allpar Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Jeep Wrangler, which was just upgraded with the new Pentastar V6 engine and five-speed automatic transmission, will continue to see upgrades as its replacement is being developed. Dealers should be able to order 2013 Wranglers now, with production starting on July 23, and the official launch on September 1. Changes include revised seats (both "comfort" and material) for all models; an auto-dimming rearview mirror with LED map light becoming available; a better tire pressure monitoring system; upgraded LED courtesy lights; and new wheels for Sahara and Rubicon. Buyers will also get dual windshield wiper nozzles standard on all models, a premium soft top available on all models, an optional Alpine 7-speaker stereo and 368-watt head unit, and a better soft top for Wrangler Unlimited, complete with a "rear spring lift assist." The dual note horn will be standard on all but RHD models, and footwell and cupholder lighting..

View the original, full post

·
Registered
508 Posts
Dual windshield wiper nozzles, footwell and cupholder lighting!? Just the options I have been holding out for!! Who says Wrangler is getting soft....

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
I hate it when I can't find my upholders in the dark, so this is a good thing.
The correct name is suspenders and you'll find then in the closet...

·
Registered
3,279 Posts

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
whats spring assisted soft top ? sounds interesting ?
I'd have to see it first.
My first thoughts aren't kind, if it makes the top heavier and more complicated to put up and down and costs more.
If it makes the operation easier and faster, then it could be a good thing.
I'll need to see one and play with it first.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts

·
3,813 Posts
I'd have to see it first.
My first thoughts aren't kind, if it makes the top heavier and more complicated to put up and down and costs more.
If it makes the operation easier and faster, then it could be a good thing.
I'll need to see one and play with it first.
It is supposed to make putting the 4 door top up a LOT easier according to our rep. He spoke of it like its a revelation... I will reserve judgement until I get to play with it but I am hopeful at least...

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
It is supposed to make putting the 4 door top up a LOT easier according to our rep. He spoke of it like its a revelation... I will reserve judgement until I get to play with it but I am hopeful at least...
The words of Master Bob come into play here,
Good, Simple, Inexpensive.
We get to choose two.

I'll admit the current top can be cumbersome and difficult to reinstall. The struts and supports do not always fold into the correct position, especially on the four door, which has one additional segment.
That said it's the most durable and quiet top that I have experienced on any Jeep I've owed, back to my first 1959 CJ.
Waiting with interest...and apprehension. ;)

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
So what's next? A Wrangler that folds up into a briefcase like George Jetson's?

·
Registered
8 Posts
vwtodd said:
The soft top on the next Wrangler *could* and should get a huge makeover. Materials have advanced quite a bit. For example, Corning's just announced Willow Glass that is flexible and can be rolled into two-inch sections. Imagine the next soft top having zip out rolling glass windows vs. plastic? Imagine the half doors with this vs. plastic.

"
The result is a scratch-resistant, bendable sheet that measures 100 microns thick, about the same as a sheet of paper."​

"...the cost of Willow Glass shouldn't be too high: the company says the roll-to-roll process is very efficient and has high throughput."

http://arstechnica.c...and-paper-thin/

Sign me up!!!
It doesn't mean it can be rolled into a tube shape etc. It's Glass and meant Roll as in Bend. It isn't strong enough to roll up like Windows of a Wrangler would be done. This is mean only for Smartphones and electronics.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts