Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will an analog cluster from a 95 lebaron convertible plug right into the harness for a digital cluster on a 92 lebaron convertible?My digital has run amok and I found a regular cluster. at the local sy...I have a bad crank seal leak which I'll be fixing this weekend(along with wp and timing belt) I found this when changing oil. Almost no oil cameouit of the pan. !!! ack!! Everything seems to be fine...no weird noises..but the gauge was saying everything was fine. . It goes blank occasionaslly or one part or another disappears. Speedo is really the only thinh I trust on it when it is showing . That and the rpms..It was working fine when I first got it and the only electrical thing I've done is swap out a power lock actuator that was banging like a jack hammer when it activated.. The odd thing is ..when it blanks out ,I can restore it by hitting the key fob buttoms for the locks...weird. Anyway..can I change them???

·
Super Moderator
36,926 Posts
I am pretty sure the connectors are different between the two. The body computers are different as well, but I think because the analog dash is simpler there probably won't be an issue there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any guesses as to what might be wrong with the digital?Maybe try disconnecting the power locks altogether since that was the only change..or is it probably something more complicated..I love the looks of the digital..but it's driving me nuts....

·
Super Moderator
36,926 Posts
The fact it is intermittent could mean there are solder joints that don't always make connection. Sometimes you can see the broken or blackened solder joints on the cluster circuit board and can reflow the solder to fix the problem.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll take the cluster out and check it then...then i can also look at the connectors.You think the lock thing is just a coincidence?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Sometimes the BCM can freak out and cause all sorts of weird things to happen. Both of these circuits go through the BCM on the convertible. I would take out the dash and check it, as Valiant mentioned, and disconnect the battery cables and touch them together (the idea is to close the gap in the circuit where the battery was). Leaving it like that for a couple of hours will reset the computers in the car.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well..took the cluster out and looked at it...no visible breaks or black spots i can see...It does have brief periods where it works like a charm...The locks also do this thing where they lock and unlock rapidly for a minute at a time..weird....I'm not so sure it's the cluster itself that's whacky. i'm thinking it's the BCM...So disconnecting the battery for a time will reset it all?? I just wire tie the cables together and leave them?

That analog would take a heckuva lot of wiring to adapt to the car...connectors are worlds apart....

·
Super Moderator
36,926 Posts
It's probably worth pulling the plug at the BCM and inspecting for corrosion. A reset may fix it, but corrosion has been an issue for others as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I figured out where it was...no corrosion in there...The negative battery terminal is tight but the clamp does seem to have a split in it....would that maybe cause it??? The headlighst dim occasionally while driving but otherwise doesn't seem to effect anything...I'll change it out anyway just to be safe...

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Could be. Electronics like a fairly steady voltage, get outside of that range because of a poor connection and strange things can start to happen. Check all of your grounds. That information about the weird locking behavior really seems to point the finger at the BCM to me. Is it possible that the module got wet somehow?
Keep us posted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts