Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short; I decided to build a new system sinve my recently HP Pavilions desktop has been a disaster, tech support basically couldn't help me. :(

Soooo.............I snagged a ca 2005 Compaq box out of my stash; installed an ASUS Tuf B450M motherboard, a much stronger power supply along with 40 MB of DDR4 RAM. Fired up the machine and, it won't 'talk' to my monitor. SVGA etc are all correct.

According to the box my CPU came in, I need to purchase a Discrete Graphics Card'; now which one? I'm getting tired of throwing $$ down this rabbit hole. I'm just cringing at paying as much for such a card, which will cost close to what I paid for the MB and CPU, together.

Reactions: Handy_Cruiser

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My limited research returned: PCI Express 3.0 x16 Desktop Graphics Cards | Newegg.com (at https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007709%20600286742 )

Looks like you have a gamer motherboard.

Good luck.

Tom
100% on a gamer MB; I 'assumed' that it would be acceptable for an Internet friendly desktop, especially being it was just over $100 and, the CPU set me back an additional $200.

Mart of me's thinking I should cut my losses and, buy a simpler MB and matching CPU.

Thanks for finding me that NewEgg link, that's where I bought my CPU a few days ago. AMD directed towards the former from their own website.

And I ordered a basic slimline graphics card from NewEgg since, I'm not a gamer.

Reactions: Handy_Cruiser

·
Registered
194 Posts
If you don't need anything fancy, just get any reasonably modern PCI Express video card off of Craigslist.

I picked up an older Geforce GTX 970 for $100 ... almost got one for $20 or $40, but they got sold out from under me.

What CPU did you get (looks like an AMD), and what is your purpose for the machine? Basic computing, productivity, gaming?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Here's my rig I first build back in 2004. She's currently got an old AMD FX-8350, 32 gigs of RAM and an ancient Radeon HD 5670. She still does anything I need. PacMan and Dig Dug run perfectly. :D

I build this one two years ago for my sweetie. It's mainly made out older parts from my PC but has a newer graphics card for the kids.

And here's the on I built for a young lady whose dad died a few years ago. I think I put a 1060 card in it and it seems to play all her game great.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you don't need anything fancy, just get any reasonably modern PCI Express video card off of Craigslist.

I picked up an older Geforce GTX 970 for $100 ... almost got one for $20 or $40, but they got sold out from under me.

What CPU did you get (looks like an AMD), and what is your purpose for the machine? Basic computing, productivity, gaming?
AMD Ryzen 5 3600, that's when I found out I needed a standalone graphics/video card; hence my ordering this critter:

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC Low Profile 4GB Video Card, GV-N105TOC-4GL

Basic PC work, I have a smartphone but, it's too tiny for full Internet use.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Graphics card FINALLY arrived today; threw it in and, the monitor now works.

Another problem; apparently, this new MB/CPU/graphics card combo does not 'play well' with my Win 7, still loaded onto a SSD HD. Although, I vaguely remember somewhere it was stated that the ASUS won't accept Win 7............Win 10 only. Jeez.................. :poop:

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which Win 10 CD-ROM/USB flashdrive package would be the best? This totally repowered desktop started like as a Compaq but, all of its guts are new, as in 2020 new, with the possible exception of the power supply. I'd like to get a disc/USB that I can use on a few personal desktops, since I have two semibuilt boxes on hand.

Supposedly; with 10 on there, I can piggyback Win 7 and can run either OS. I understand suspensions, not electronics these days. Gimme a pair of 1960s style Mopar Torsion bar lower control arms and, I'll remove and install new inner bushings, I have access to a MAPP gas torch, air chisel and shop press.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pulled the trigger and bought a (legit) copy of Win 10 Home along with a PNY 500 GB SSD hard drive, to use as a 'placeholder' for the new OS. Now for crazy; my local Walmart had the parts/OS in stock.

My machine actually 'came to life'; needless to say, I'm leaving the front/side panels off till I'm satisfied that said homebrew doesn't Blue Screen of Death on me. The HP Pavilions I had wasn't fixable and, some of its parts are living 2nd lives in this seriously repowered 2005 Compaq tower 'Windows XP' case.

Gutted HP, I'm going to put a dollar or two into it and, keep it as a backup system. Win 7 homebrew, it's staying intact for now.

Reactions: tomit
1 - 9 of 9 Posts