Allpar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this is odd. My car keeps losing antifreeze, but I can't find any evidence of leaks by looking underneath and on the concrete floor of the garage (NO liquid on the floor of the garage). What the heck is going on? I have to keep adding antifreeze every time I drive it (have not been driving it except for to the end of the lane and back to take daughter to school bus stop).

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Idle it in one spot for 10-15 minutes. If nothing drips out, and no leak inside the car, gun it and watch the tailpipe for white smoke - which would be a failing head gasket.

Sometimes there's a tiny gasket leak at the water pump or thermostat and it drips slowly while you drive, but doesn't drip when sitting with engine off. Sometimes a loose hose clamp at the pump can leak like this, and ingest air right after you shut the engine off.

Is coolant dropping in both the radiator and the overflow jug? How does the oil look - milky?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Idle it in one spot for 10-15 minutes. If nothing drips out, and no leak inside the car, gun it and watch the tailpipe for white smoke - which would be a failing head gasket.

Sometimes there's a tiny gasket leak at the water pump or thermostat and it drips slowly while you drive, but doesn't drip when sitting with engine off. Sometimes a loose hose clamp at the pump can leak like this, and ingest air right after you shut the engine off.

Is coolant dropping in both the radiator and the overflow jug? How does the oil look - milky?
Oil looks normal, no milky look. We will have to idle it in one spot for 10 minutes and see what happens. I don't think any white smoke comes out when I gun it as I have never noticed any.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oil looks normal, no milky look. We will have to idle it in one spot for 10 minutes and see what happens. I don't think any white smoke comes out when I gun it as I have never noticed any.
We did all the tests, found no leaks, and the water pump is solid with NO wetness anywhere. There is a lot of rust in the system, so I would assume we need to flush it. What is the best way to flush it, and how much green antifreeze do we put back in it? Thanks.

We did all the tests, found no leaks, and the water pump is solid with NO wetness anywhere. There is a lot of rust in the system, so I would assume we need to flush it. What is the best way to flush it, and how much green antifreeze do we put back in it? Thanks.
And NO white smoke when we gun it. :D

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
I just drain it, refill with water and run it, them dump it and refill with 4 qts of pure antifreeze (there is always some water left in the block to mix with it), then the rest with a premix of 50/50. It holds 9 quarts total in the cooling system, if it's a 4-cylinder.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just drain it, refill with water and run it, them dump it and refill with 4 qts of pure antifreeze (there is always some water left in the block to mix with it), then the rest with a premix of 50/50. It holds 9 quarts total in the cooling system, if it's a 4-cylinder.
Yes it is a 4 cylinder 2.5 liter. Thanks!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Daytona will be going to the shop on Monday. I have stopped driving it after it left a huge puddle of antifreeze in the store parking lot today. Managed to get it back home (had extra antifreeze water in the car with me). My dad thinks there is a blockage some where. Guess I will know Monday evening.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Could be a rotted freeze plug, or could be a rotted line that goes from the thermostat housing to the intake manifold in the back; or other hose connections.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was a thermostat!! It is working normally now :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, what is going on here. It says I cannot start new topics, nor can I reply to other topics any more. What is up with this????

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Your avatar says" Invalid E-mail - contact admin".

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bob Lincoln said:
Your avatar says" Invalid E-mail - contact admin".
Yes, I fixed that. But it still says it? Who is the administrator?

I need an admin's email addy as when I click on the link here it tries to open up windows live which I do not use, I use GMAIL. So if I don't get in touch some how with an admin, my account is history in a day!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the fix, Bob!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts