Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://seametropolicemuseum.org/cars.html

Click on any of the 4 links detailing the acquisition and restoration of antique police vehicles actually used by the different PD's in question. What really intrigued me is the 1970 Plymouth Satellite (Belvedere?) is actually used as a working Seattle squad car. The 1978 WSP Fury 440 evidently was the last Mopar big block cop car ever built.

Too; the museum and friends apparently have a 1976 Dodge Dart police package and a few others waiting to be restored.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I saw these cars at a Good Guys show at Puyallup. Very cool cars, but alas, ones that I don't want to sit in the back in. I will go visit them now that I know where the museum is. Thanks for the info..!

·
Chyrsler Historical Buff!!
1,892 Posts
Seattle PD was one of the first to recognize the ability and built in strength of the Dodge Dart 360 AHB package. 1976 models. Not sure how many units were purchased, however, that WAS their fleet. My department got 8 of those units that the Sheriff assigned to the College Police Department. Everyone snickered........ but not for long. They were whip quick, roomy enough to swallow all their equipment, handled extraordinarily well, and relatively maintenance free! Many a late night shift was spent giving other cops "check rides" in those Darts.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Curtis Redgap said:
Seattle PD was one of the first to recognize the ability and built in strength of the Dodge Dart 360 AHB package. 1976 models. Not sure how many units were purchased, however, that WAS their fleet. My department got 8 of those units that the Sheriff assigned to the College Police Department. Everyone snickered........ but not for long. They were whip quick, roomy enough to swallow all their equipment, handled extraordinarily well, and relatively maintenance free! Many a late night shift was spent giving other cops "check rides" in those Darts.
Odd about SPD using 360 Darts; I know they used 318 cars from 1974-76 though despite the first two years being retail sedans, not A38/AHB models.

Apparently the 360-4V Federal spec A bodies were extremely powerful since they used the old '340' cam and non catalyst full dual exhausts..............Calif models had just the garden variety 360-4V complete with standard cam and single exhaust with its cat.

·
Chyrsler Historical Buff!!
1,892 Posts
Picked that up off a Seattle Topix site......apparently some old cops comesmerating, so I can't authenticate what engine/combo Seattle really used. (I asked however they didn't reply.) As well, I left out one small word, but very important to understanding..... IN. This was IN their fleet, but I don't know how many units. Even so, It would seem unlikely that they would not go with the AHB since they were well familiar with police paks. At least, I would hope so. However, you may well be spot on too. But, REGULAR cars? Must have been tougher than I remember......... or else they didn't abuse them much!

The 76 models my dept used were REALLY bad butts! I mean quick, good handling, quick stopping, rattle squeak free solid cars. Everyone wanted one! I don't know the engine specs, but the dual exhausts spoke very authoritively, especially under PARTIAL acceleration. At full bore, it was just a deep belly roar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts