Allpar Forums banner

Any Idea of the wait of ordering a car?

5K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Dave Z 
#1 ·
My mom is looking to order a Blue Streak Dodge Avenger SXT. Sun/sound group, Rally appearance package, and more goodies. How long should it take? I'd imagine 2-3 weeks...

#2 ·
It can vary widely, usually you plan for 6-8 weeks.

#3 ·
Hurry! It's the time of year when ordering is closed for most models! They are getting ready for 2013's and that will be a longer wait.

#5 ·
What part of the country is you rmom in. I would suggest she go "quickly " to her local dealer and have them attempt to dealer locate one for her. On the east coast there is currently 3k worth of rebates or financing upto 72 mos @)0% she dosent want to miss out on the great deals that are availble on the the last 2012's in my area (Isearched 200miles radius) there are only 4 equippted in the color and with the equiptment you specified.

#7 ·
Dang it. I'm still flip flopping over a Charger, 200, or Dart.
We still have some 2011 200's on the lot. I got my mom into one for a screamin deal. V6, silver semi loaded for 18k. Kinda hard to argue with that. She was going to wait for a Dart, but this deal was too good to pass up.

Danno

#8 ·

if money and bang for your buck is a factor I'dsay find yourself a nice 200s....in my region (midatlantic) there is currently $3750 in rebates!!!

A base200s is around 25k depending on rebates you may qualify for you should beable to get one for under 21k not bad for a midsizedsedan with 280+hp

#9 ·
What part of the country is your mom in. I would suggest she go "quickly " to her local dealer and have them attempt to dealer locate one for her. On the east coast there is currently 3k worth of rebates or financing up to 72 mos @)0% she dosen't want to miss out on the great deals that are available on the the last 2012's in my area (I searched 200miles radius) there are only 4 equipped in the color and with the equipment you specified.
We're over in chicago, Illinois. Our local mopar dealer (South Chicago Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram) are putting people in journeys, 200s, and town and countries. The only Chargers they have are the 3.6L SXT and SE with the 8-Speed, and SuperBees. Not ONE challenger, Avenger R/T's JGC Laredoes ans SRT-8s, The Oscar mike wrangler, Other wranglers, a few 300s (like 3-4) and 2 Darts. That's all that I was allowed to see, they said they have a big wave of vehicles in transit. My uncle was lucky enough to get the last 3.6L SE Charger with AutoStick they sold. I told him to get the AutoStick because paddle shifters will make you lazy, lol.

They told her that they could pull a journey for her (I hope they don't do the Aod Gawful AVP with her) but they didn't even have a Journey to model to her. We decided to return in 2 weeks, give her time to decide and our dealer to get some cars.

#10 ·
A 200 or Charger, pentastar and 8spd would be my pick aqain.
Certainly no knock against the Dart but with incentives, 290hp and 33+ mpg the bigger cars are my 1st pick.

#12 ·
When I questioned my sales rep at Rivershore CJD (Kamloops, B.C.) earlier this year about a new 3500, she said it was around 3 months to wait if I ordered one. Now I am curious to know why when I worked at Western Star Trucks in Kelowna building Class 8 trucks, we could build AND deliver in around 30 days??? This was from a plant putting out 31 trucks a day, if a cutomer ordered a vehicle to their specs, would the factory not put that through before the sales bank?? If anyone one can shed light on this...I would appreciate it!!

#13 ·
Precisely because it was a plant that built 31 trucks a day. It was probably far, far less automated and far, far more flexible. The same would have been true in the 1960s and 1970s at Dodge's heavy and light truck plants.

#14 ·
Yes Dave, the plant WAS very flexible...we could have 15 LHD highway tractors, 5 RHD bound for Australia, 3 twin-steers, and a couple of severe duty trucks thrown in on any given day...but 99% of these were customer ordered. If a customer ordered a new Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep truck or car, would that be slotted in BEFORE the sales bank vehicles, or after...that is what I am curious about. Or is it even possible to order something to your specifications ?

#15 ·
You can order a car or truck to your specs as long as they are available options on whatever model you want to order. From my understanding sold orders get pushed as far ahead as they can and do take priority over regular stock orders. 2012's were running about 4-6 weeks for delivery when they were still being built. We are telling people to expect 6-8 weeks on 2013 orders.

#16 ·
One thing y'all might not be aware of is IF the particular dealer has an allocation left for the vehicle the customer desires to special order! Unless that allocation is available, their order can stay in cyberspace until the dealer's next allocation for such a vehicle opens up. Chrysler used ot have a "turn and earn" allocation system, where if you sold "one", you could then re-order "one" of the same model. I'm not sure what the system is now, though.

When the model year is in "build out", which can start as early as June, it then gets to be time to be more concerned with trying to dealer-trade for "that special vehicle" rather than try to do a special order for the same vehicle. Plus, everybody's wanting to get the "old models" out before the next model year's models arrive. Don't forget that you can see what might be out there, yourself, via the "Build One for ME" section of the car manufacturer's website. After you build one, get the pricing, then you can opt to see how many vehicles are in current dealer inventories in your area, which might closely match what you built . . . right down to where the vehicle is and the ID number of that particular vehicle. They usually want your ZIP code to figure in any regional rebate programs and such, too, to give you a final MSRP amount.

Happy Shopping!
CBODY67

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.