Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here, just wondering about the 3.6L engine and when they plan on making it Direct Injection for Wrangler apps? I read lots of rumors Cal Year 2014-2016? Does it look like Cal Year 2015-2016 now since 2014 is comin' quick? Any info would be great, or just an educated guess. Thanks for letting me join.

ADee

·
Super Moderator
36,929 Posts
There isn't confirmation that the 3.6 will get direct injection, let alone when that will be if it does.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. You mean they might skip it altogether? I read calendar year 2014-2016 and that was the last I heard of it.

ADee

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Welcome to Allpar.
I seem to recall reading that the head design made direct injection difficult to accomplish with the Pentastar, but I would have to research that.
If true, it means they would likely work on other things first, rather than redesign a brand new engine. Watch first for DI on other variants of the Pentastar.
The Allpar Pentastar page says 2014-2016, so the 3.0 (Maserati) would likely be the first application.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MoparNorm said:
Welcome to Allpar.
I seem to recall reading that the head design made direct injection difficult to accomplish with the Pentastar, but I would have to research that.
If true, it means they would likely work on other things first, rather than redesign a brand new engine. Watch first for DI on other variants of the Pentastar.
The Allpar Pentastar page says 2014-2016, so the 3.0 (Maserati) would likely be the first application.
Thanks you for the welcome and the reply. Would you think it would be safe to assume that model year 2015 Wrangler won't have a Direct Injection engine then? I could have sworn they designed the 3.6L engine with DI in mind at a later date. Now I'm thinking, with all the issues they had with the left head and two redesigns later, why look for trouble? As it stands now I think they have a real winner.

ADee

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
ADee1 said:
Thanks you for the welcome and the reply. Would you think it would be safe to assume that model year 2015 Wrangler won't have a Direct Injection engine then? I could have sworn they designed the 3.6L engine with DI in mind at a later date. Now I'm thinking, with all the issues they had with the left head and two redesigns later, why look for trouble? As it stands now I think they have a real winner.

ADee
I wouldn't let the lack of DI, deter you from buying a Wrangler. My new 2013, is far, far improved over my 2007.
It's tighter, more responsive, rides better and has less NVH.
It's visibly unchanged, but it's better built, rubber compounds and ball joints appear to be improved, the interior is awesome, NAV and controls are much improved, its quiet and my first tank of fuel was burned at the rate of 23.6 mpg.
With the help of Gale Banks, I'm now over 300 HP, with improved fuel consumption.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's why I'm asking. I don't want a Direct Injection engine. I'm coming up on a deployment very soon and will have to put my plans to buy a 2014 Wrangler off until this time next year when the 2015's are out. I'm hoping that the 2015 doesn't have DI, since when I get back it will be too late to order a 2014 in the color and equipped the way I want it. Which prompted me to ask.

Thanks for the replies- ADee

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Thank you for your service.
Even if DI is offered, there is no way to know what the time frame would be and Wrangler would likely be the last model to get changed over.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MoparNorm said:
Thank you for your service.
Even if DI is offered, there is no way to know what the time frame would be and Wrangler would likely be the last model to get changed over.
Thank you- I guess I'll have to take the wait and see approach then. Sooner or later we'll know for sure. -ADee

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
If I hear something, I'll send you a PM.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MoparNorm said:
If I hear something, I'll send you a PM.
Please do, I will have computer access on deployment, although it might take a few days before I can get online. Thank You!!!! ADee

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Hey Adee1 welcome to Allpar and thank you for your service!

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
ADee1 said:
Thanks you! Thanks for allowing me to join and ask questions here.

ADee
Hey no problem. Im looking at a 2104 Wrangler 2 door myself so ive been picking Moparnorms brain ALOT lately. He is definately my first go to guy about Jeeps!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jeepnut said:
Hey no problem. Im looking at a 2104 Wrangler 2 door myself so ive been picking Moparnorms brain ALOT lately. He is definately my first go to guy about Jeeps!
Yea he's a good guy for sure. I guess I'll have a firm answer early 2014 about the DI. I will monitor this forum closely, and hopefully be ordering a 2015 w/o Direct injection in August when I'm back and settled in again.

ADee

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
ADee1 said:
Yea he's a good guy for sure. I guess I'll have a firm answer early 2014 about the DI. I will monitor this forum closely, and hopefully be ordering a 2015 w/o Direct injection in August when I'm back and settled in again.

ADee
Yea keep in touch! I think your gonna be safe with a 2015. There are no rumors of DI hitting any Chrysler group vehicles by 2015 so the Wrangler if it does get it probably wont see it till the next gen.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jeepnut said:
Yea keep in touch! I think your gonna be safe with a 2015. There are no rumors of DI hitting any Chrysler group vehicles by 2015 so the Wrangler if it does get it probably wont see it till the next gen.
Thanks for the info, I'll be around for a while longer, but will check in once I'm gone. Thanks for the info and letting me join a great site!

ADee

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
ADee1 said:
Thanks for the info, I'll be around for a while longer, but will check in once I'm gone. Thanks for the info and letting me join a great site!

ADee
Where are you deploying to Afghanistan?

·
Super Moderator
31,984 Posts
ADee1 said:
Here's why I'm asking. I don't want a Direct Injection engine. I'm coming up on a deployment very soon and will have to put my plans to buy a 2014 Wrangler off until this time next year when the 2015's are out. I'm hoping that the 2015 doesn't have DI, since when I get back it will be too late to order a 2014 in the color and equipped the way I want it. Which prompted me to ask.

Thanks for the replies- ADee
Thanks for your service, and stay safe.

Can I ask why you don't want direct injection? All reports that I've heard claim more power, better gas mileage and lower emissions. It's a proven technology in general. What's the downside for you?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts