Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just mentioned that my 12 yo PT LTD w/100K was very reliable. Well today we had a thunderous downpour which is not all that uncommon. However, this evening on three occasions the PT's alarm kept going off (horn beeps, lights blink, etc). It was easily cleared with the fob but after the 3rd time at 10:30PM I disconnected the battery. I don't want any irate neighbors let alone the sleeping wife threatening my life.

As I will start my diagnosis tomorrow I am hoping that someone might have an idea of what might be triggering this alarm? Water must have leaked into somewhere causing a short but I have no idea where that might be.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts
This is the factory VTSS alarm? My first thought would be the front door lock cylinder disarm switches are corroded and moisture may make the corrosion actually conduct.
The inside of the doors can easily get wet and can be a harsh environment for electrical components.
80248de2.gif

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Any chance that a cowl drain is clogged and water is getting to the BCM?

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
It wasn't the panic alarm was it? Just to eliminate something simple, be sure it wasn't caused by something accidently hitting the panic button on the key fob. I've had this happen to me on a few occasions when something in my pocket managed to hit the panic button.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it was the factory alarm (honking horn, blinking lights, etc) and it was NOT the panic button as I had the fob in front of me and couldn't clear it with the panic button.

This afternoon I will fire up my compressor and attempt to clear out the cowl and sunroof drains just in case those cause an overflow of H2O. Also, I will attempt to check the door locks switch as suggested. When/If I find the source, I'll update this post.

Thanks all (so far).

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts
Does your front carpet ever get wet after a rainstorm or using the A/C?
Leaves can easily plug drains. The cowl screen can come off and the side (inner fender) drains cleared. The A/C condensate drain can also be cleared.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts