Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Looks just like the one that was in my Dad's 55 New Yorker. Sadly, my mother rolled it down a ravine when I was in grammar school and I never go to work on it.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Many years ago...1960 to be exact...I replaced a flathead six in my '55 Plymouth Savoy sedan with a 331 Hemi from a 1951 Chrysler. Based on my experience, there is something to think about if you plan on using it in a non-original body.

Notice in your picture thatit appears you have cast-in extension for the torque converter on the back of the block. This created problems for me as the engine had to be mounted far forward of the stock '55 Poly location. I had to use a radiator that was much shorter than stock, and mount it forward of the radiator support, instead of behind it. FWIW, I used the stock manual transmission from the '55 flathead by replacing the Plymouth input shaft with one from a manual transmission DeSoto. It was a perfect swap with the longer shaft.

The forward location of the engine caused the weight to overload the stock front springs, and to unload the rear tires, killing traction. The car handled horribly, but absolutely flew in a straight line once the tires stopped spinning. I drove it less than a year before replacing it with a slightly modified '55 Poly.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
ANyone good with the codes on these old Hemi's?

20221001_150409 by F G, on Flickr
I owned a '57 DeSoto with a 341" 4bbl Hemi in it. I used to drag race with it at the old Half Moon Bay and Fremont dragstrips. I actually got it down into the mid-l5's ET which was quite good considering it was a convertible that weighed in at almost 4300lbs after lightening it for the races. I sold it back in 1966 so can't help you much with tech questions :(.

If you are into racing (or just racing memories), come and check out the Historical part of the Motorsports section. I posted lots of stuff on Hemi-powered Mopars on the NHRA historical thread.

Welcome to Allpar!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Speaking of weight and the first-generation Hemi. I was in the Air Force at the time, so when I decided to install the 331 in my Plymouth, I visited the auto hobby shop on base and talked to the manager about doing the work there. He shook his head and pointed to a sign on the wall that stated: "Engine hoist weight limit 800 pounds. Do not use for Chrysler Hemi engines!" I had to install the engine in the wrecking yard where I bought it, but that worked out great as the owner was a hotrodder with a wealth of knowledge and he helped me find all the parts needed for the swap.

·
Registered
82 Imperial, 91 New yorker, 00 Neon, 00 Dak, 00 Ram 1500, 06 Ram 2500, 07 Charger R/T, 22 Ram 1500
155 Posts

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
My dad has a few of these motors. He loves them!

Current:
2 270 dodge Hemi's
1 331 DeSoto Hemi
1 331 Chrysler Hemi
1 354 Chrysler Hemi

1 - 20 of 25 Posts