Allpar Forums banner

ANY WELL-KNOW PROBLEM WITH DODGE CHALLENGERS V8 AROUND 2010-12???

7K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Tomguy 
#1 ·
Sounds funny; but I AM "asking for a clergy friend". :)

I was a past owner of a 2010 V6 Challenger that had well-documented problems will blowing the front cylinders.
I had One replaced at Chrysler's expense.
Then I had a GWE 2011 SRT8 Hemi, that I did not have a lick of problems with in the 4 years I owned it! She was a customized beauty!

I have a minor clergy friend who has a V8 Challenger, looks like around 2010-12 (I forgot to ask), and in recent years has had all kinds of problems eating away his meager wallet.
He recently had a problem spewing coolant, that a local dealer said was a well-documented" problem of the electric fan disintegrating and blowing shrapnel into the radiator and around. THIS is his current big problem; but he says the car has had others, including body parts.
The local dealer wants around $2K to fix the fan, radiator, etc., just to fix the coolant problem.
They are asking $4K to fix all the problems.

This photo was my GWE SRT8... Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

My questions:
1. Is this a well-know problem; and what others with the early V8 new body Challenger?
2. Was this ever a subject of a Chrysler Recall???

Thx

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes, there were (and are) issues with the fans.

In addition, early Eagle 5.7 engines had issues with timing chain failure, lesser issues with valve seat failure, camshaft/lifter failure, and premature suspension component failures (generally, bushings in tension struts, and Upper/Lower Control Arms, as well as anti-swaybar links).

#6 ·
To my knowledge no recalls, but I THINK the fan issue was covered by an extended warranty. I am unsure if the Challenger was included, I thought it was only the 05-08 L-cars, but it may be worth looking into. I was lucky and when my fans failed I was only doing driving in town and unplugged so it wouldn't destroy the radiator, and booked it out of town to get some airflow on the radiator.

As for interior, I think the 2011 model year was the mild refresh that updated some of the original lower-quality stuff, if memory serves. I know my 06 had a lot of squeaks, rattles, buzzes, etc. I'd fix one and 2 more would pop up. I used a lot of velcro, plasti-dip, foam tape, and other things to eliminate everything from dash rattles to the trim rings on the cluster buzzing.

#8 ·
Customer Satisfaction Notification P01
2009-2012 (LC) Dodge Challenger
(LD) Dodge Charger
(LX) Chrysler 300

NOTE: This recall applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 5.7L Hemi engine (sales code EZD or EZH), automatic transmission (sales code DGJ) and rear axle ratio 3.06, 3.73 or 3.92 (sales code DMP, DME or DMH) built from August 04, 2008 through July 10, 2012 (MDH 080406 through 071008).
The engine timing chain guide on about 50,800 of the above vehicles may fracture. A fractured engine timing chain guide could cause the engine timing chain to break. A broken engine timing chain will result in severe engine damage.
The engine timing chain, timing chain tensioner and timing chain guide must be replaced.

—————-

if I recall correctly it was a combination of MDS and axle ratio. When it comes to 300 and Charger I thought it was (only?) the AWD cars 5.7s that had that issue. I got my Challenger done shortly after the recall was announced.

#10 ·
Customer Satisfaction Notification P01
2009-2012 (LC) Dodge Challenger
(LD) Dodge Charger
(LX) Chrysler 300

NOTE: This recall applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 5.7L Hemi engine (sales code EZD or EZH), automatic transmission (sales code DGJ) and rear axle ratio 3.06, 3.73 or 3.92 (sales code DMP, DME or DMH) built from August 04, 2008 through July 10, 2012 (MDH 080406 through 071008).
The engine timing chain guide on about 50,800 of the above vehicles may fracture. A fractured engine timing chain guide could cause the engine timing chain to break. A broken engine timing chain will result in severe engine damage.
The engine timing chain, timing chain tensioner and timing chain guide must be replaced.

—————-

if I recall correctly it was a combination of MDS and axle ratio. When it comes to 300 and Charger I thought it was (only?) the AWD cars 5.7s that had that issue. I got my Challenger done shortly after the recall was announced.
So since that's only a customer sat notice, the solution is what it would be no matter what - contact Chrysler central office and ask for help!

#13 ·
Do you mean 2011? There were no significant differences in the 5.7 Challengers from 2009 to 2014 model years, the biggest change in 2015 being the 8-speed and the newer interiors etc.

My 2014 5.7 had a water pump leak around 30k miles give or take, that was a known issue when they had a supply issue with the pumps for a few model years. The biggest "Common" issue is lifter failure, which is accelerated by longer idle times and the use of lower-quality and/or wrong viscosity oils. The bearings on the lifters fail and the lifter eats into the camshaft. As for how common it is, my guess is about 1 in 10 by the time they get to 150k.

#18 ·
I don't use Mobil 1 in Hemis. It doesn't meet the requirements for the SRT engines, and it made the "Hemi tick" in my Charger 5.7 way, way louder. Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra only for me. Even after upgrading from Mobil 1 to Pennzoil Platinum in my 300M, its rocker tapping got much quieter as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.