Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys ever removed the headliner from a 99 Grand Caravan? Mine is sagging in several places and I'd like to remove it and recover it. I just did one in my 94 Saturn and it turned out pretty nice. I've heard that the front windshield has to be removed in order to get the backing board out, but looking at it, think I can remove all of the interior trim pieces from around the windows and tali gate and drop one side down and then pull it out through the rear hatch. What say you guys?

·
Registered
67 Posts
you need to take out the overhead console, visors, and lights as well as remove the upper bolts for the seat belts and any of the interior panels that touch the headliner. It's quite the job so best of luck you you :)

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help, guys, especially for the diagram, Imperial. You are the man! This is not something I have to do in a hurry, so I will take my time and do it right. I recently removed and recovered one in my sons 94 Saturn and it turned out pretty nice. I just hope I can get the same results with my van. I'll try to post before and after pics when I decided to undertake it. Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
I was lucky and found a nice cash for clunkers headliner when the headliner started to come down in my 1999 Town & Country for its new owner. $15 was sure a bargain for a perfect headliner though it was from a 1998 van and I had to go back and get the third row courtesy lights that they had deleted from the 1999 van, making the total $25. It was a pretty easy process.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
One note, does the headliner have glue on it making it harder to get it out intact? I ask cause I remember glue being put on the 98-04 Lhs here in Brampton. If it does, keep it in mind.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They spray the shell with glue before attaching the material. I tried just scraping the glue and re-gluing the one in mine and it looks worse now than when I started. I couldn't get everything lined back up properly due to not having enough clearance around the edges to get my fingers in there and really screwed it up. I'm going to remove mine and then in the next few weeks, go back to Pull-A-Part in Nashville and see if I can find a good one. I don't even care if the color matches or not.

·
Registered
517 Posts
My '03 was detached for a couple of inches across the very front next to the windshield.

I found some rubberized spray glue at HD that works pretty well, the first thing I ever found that does work. Most of the spray glues say "Not for auto headliners" if you read the fine print, this one does not.

The main problem I've found with large detached areas is the material stretches and won't go back into place without wrinkling.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's exactly what happened to mine, Gus. I had extra material in the center, near the windshield, but not enough around the edges. I don't know how the heck that happened. And recalling my fuzzy memory (two brain surgeries 9 years ago), I now recall that the vehicle I used to own that had to have the windshield removed in order to get the headliner out was my Dodge Caliber. Sorry bout that! Anyway, I may go ahead and remove the old one some day this week. Got a lot of other things to attend to, so this is not high priority on my list for now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts