Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking specifically to remove the vinyl roof off of a 1991 Imperial and swap it with one from the scrap yard but how is one secured to the car? I would hate to be traveling down the interstate and have my vinyl roof come flying off and potentially casing an accident, any info would help.

·
Super Moderator
37,734 Posts
They are glued on.

Reactions: DC-93

·
Fleet Owner
1,172 Posts
Actually if it's the factory vinyl top, not some aftermarket stuff, it has a bunch of bolts/screws/clips holding it on. It would require removing or at least dropping the headliner to get to the ones that hold the leading edge/trim down, removing the rear deck filler to access a line of screws across the back bottom edge, and popping a bunch of clips that go across the from and down the sides.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Actually if it's the factory vinyl top, not some aftermarket stuff, it has a bunch of bolts/screws/clips holding it on. It would require removing or at least dropping the headliner to get to the ones that hold the leading edge/trim down, removing the rear deck filler to access a line of screws across the back bottom edge, and popping a bunch of clips that go across the from and down the sides.
his post says imperial. that sounds like a convertible lebaron how to.

·
Super Moderator
37,734 Posts
Imperial might be more of a cap than a traditional vinyl top. If that's the case, you could remove the cap (to which the vinyl is glued) to replace the top. It's been years since I had my 90 Imperial so MyDodgeDip is probably up on what's going on.

·
Super Moderator
21,630 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Is that the same look that I have seen on alot 90's and early 2000;s on buicks and mercurys that to make it look like a convertable top?

·
Super Moderator
21,630 Posts
I think that the intent of a leather-grained vinyl top was to make it appear to be a convertible.
Imperials, 5th Aves and the NYer Landau had special roof treatments, like the landaulette-style Crown roof to make them unique, formal and give them a look of prestige.
Having a fiberglass shell bolted to the back of the roof, made it easier for production line assembly.

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks

·
Super Moderator
37,734 Posts
Is that the same look that I have seen on alot 90's and early 2000;s on buicks and mercurys that to make it look like a convertable top?
No, the 90's Imperial (and the 80's Fifth Avenue) were based on more pedestrian models (Dynasty and Diplomat respectively). A fiberglass cap covered with a vinyl roof provided a more formal look to the rear of the car while allowing the metal pieces (i.e.: quarter panels and roof skin) to remain unchanged. A new look for less moeny.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
i FOUND IT!...When tbe back half or less of the roof is covered its called a Landau roof.
When you see the 4 doors that look like a convertable top its called a Cabriolet Roof.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts