Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At some point my my car's long past, the A413 transmission was replaced with an A424-6. I need to get a new gasket for the transmision, and no-one seems to know the correct one. Anyone know what car this was commonly used in? The nuber stamped near the bellhousing window reads JY171725.

·
Part Connoisseur
2,431 Posts
Its an A413.

More specifically the transmission comes from a 1988 Plymouth Horizon with a vin number of 1P3BM18D1JY171725

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Its a casting # for production identification purposes.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys!

I'm going to retrain the transmission once I flush it, as per the great article here. I'm still unsure of what a throttle kickdown is. Am I supposed to floor the gas, and then drop it into a lower gear?

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
Nothing to retrain on an A413 - it's all hydraulic.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok then. Hopefully, last question: can anyone confirm the lower line from the cooler is the transmission return line in an 87 Sundance? The manual doesn't specify, and there are differing opinions on the 'net.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Throttle kickdown is a transmission operation. The transmission senses a heavy throttle application and "kicks down" to a lower gear to improve acceleration. On the A-413, kickdown is actuated by a mechanism called the kickdown linkage or throttle pressure linkage. This mechanism likes to freeze up from disuse, so you don't have the kickdown function when you actually need it. I would recommend doing a cable adjustment and check to see if the linkage is frozen if you're doing transmission work. My linkage was frozen and the cable was out of adjustment, causing poor shift quality and erratic shifting. Any good manual should have info on how to do these procedures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts