Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hot topic, watch out. :flashred:

Chrysler brands needs new platforms, sheet metal, and more and that costs hundreds of millions....

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Since Platforms have little to do with Architecture, parts or design, this is not a hot topic, just an odd one...

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
Mr. GuidoFL has been on a bit of a tear lately. Let's see how civil we can keep this topic.

To my knowledge, no - Chrysler's profits are not going to support Fiat directly.

Of course, if Chrysler uses said profits to enhance existing platforms and architectures, and those platforms and architectures are also used to produce vehicles for Fiat and it's other brands, then yes - INDIRECTLY Chrysler's profits are also supporting Fiat.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Guido, That is so ten years ago. Now..let's get back to the future, shall we?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Past me the Kool-Aid will yah ?

Just getting very tired of all the car mags panning Chrysler products in comparison tests with other cars in their class. If you read Motor Trend, Car and Driver, Road and Track to name a few you know what I know ??

I've watched as big budgets are spent to upgrade the PU trucks, minivans, cross overs, SUV's, etc. while the car line up suffers with old design's and more. The amount of cash placed on the hood of the 200 is moving those models at cut rate profits.

Perhaps I'm just REALLY fed up with " Wait till next year " or the year after and "soon" ?? Watch the price of oil to see what's coming and how oil at $103. will affect PU sales ...soon.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BASONE88 said:
Guido, That is so ten years ago. Now..let's get back to the future, shall we?
Really ? Platform is what the vehicles is based on as is the floor pan. Today is yesterdays future as they say.

Pass the Kool-Aid will yah ?

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
A platform has nothing to do with a floorpan. A platform has nothing to do with parts. If that was the case, the Grand Cherokee and Durango wouldn't share a platform as they do not share a floorpan. You just really opened a can of worms with that one. I'm just warning you.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
oh, and...

Architecture is the TYPE of body built — two door sedan, four door sedan, station wagon, minivan, convertible, etc.

Architecture does not refer to specific parts sharing, but the second grouping of two letters in the body code (not used in the VIN) specifies specific trim levels, which are groups of parts.

A platform only define the space required to assemble the parts and nothing more.

A chassis is only the structural parts that attach the suspension, brakes, powertrain, steering, fuel, and ride control systems to the body.
— Bob Sheaves

Original is at Automotive platforms - definition http://www.allpar.com/ed/platforms.html#ixzz2YKaqVai6
Follow us: @allparcom on Twitter | allparcom on Facebook

·
Registered
258 Posts
Back to the topic, yes, a certain percentage of Chrysler profits will help support Fiat. If and when Sergio gets the rest of Chrysler from the UAW, the question becomes really silly.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
CNT900 said:
Back to the topic, yes, a certain percentage of Chrysler profits will help support Fiat. If and when Sergio gets the rest of Chrysler from the UAW, the question becomes really silly.
The question isn't the only thing that's silly in this thread... ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts