Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new project soon, and I've set my sights on a 1960 or 1961 Valiant. I've been trying the usual sources (eBay, Craigslist, Classic Autotrader, etc.) to get a sense on what to expect to pay for one.....and I can't find any! Seriously, I've seen maybe 2 for sale in the past 3 months.

Does no one own these makes anymore?

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Road Toads (1960-62 A bodies) are out there; for mechanical simplicity, your best bet may be a 1962 model since virtually all of its mechanical componentry is identical (or very close) to the 1963-76 Darts and Valiants.

http://www.1962valiants.com/ is an excellent source of info and parts for the above cars. They're based in Australia but apparently there are quite a few survivors Down Under.

·
Super Moderator
36,932 Posts
I'm looking for a 1967-1968 myself and most of the Valiants I see for sale are in the 1963-1966 range. Lots of them in that range on eBay and Craigslist, even local to me. We may both be looking a while.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
I'm looking for a 1967-1968 myself and most of the Valiants I see for sale are in the 1963-1966 range. Lots of them in that range on eBay and Craigslist, even local to me. We may both be looking a while.
Ironic because some years ago a 1967 Valiant 4 door was for sale in South Africa: it looked just like ours but was RHD.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Road Toads (1960-62 A bodies) are out there; for mechanical simplicity, your best bet may be a 1962 model since virtually all of its mechanical componentry is identical (or very close) to the 1963-76 Darts and Valiants.
Really? I thought the biggest change from '60-'61 was the "righting" of the 4-speed manual transmission so it wasn't slanted like the engine. Other than that I always figured the '61 & '62 models were identical to the '60 models - and that all three were virtually the same 'till '76.

What makes the '62s so mechanically different from their predecessors? Because, truthfully, I really don't like the look of them when compared to the '60-'61 models.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Really? I thought the biggest change from '60-'61 was the "righting" of the 4-speed manual transmission so it wasn't slanted like the engine. Other than that I always figured the '61 & '62 models were identical to the '60 models - and that all three were virtually the same 'till '76.

What makes the '62s so mechanically different from their predecessors? Because, truthfully, I really don't like the look of them when compared to the '60-'61 models.
Starting 1962 the floor shift 3 speed (not 4 gear, the first year of it was 1964 on an A body) was moved to the column and the front suspension uses the more common 1963-72 lower ball joints, etc.

If you have your heart set on a 1960-61; assuming OEM parts are no longer available, you could probably use the later parts but may have to do some modifications here and there.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Starting 1962 the floor shift 3 speed (not 4 gear, the first year of it was 1964 on an A body) was moved to the column and the front suspension uses the more common 1963-72 lower ball joints, etc.
Yeah....I realized after I posted that the standard tranny was a 3-speed manual not a 4-speed. I was thinking of the A-833 I plan to install in its place. :D And I rather prefer a floor-shift over a column-shift so I'm fine with it.

As for the front end....I did not know that any of the hardware changed in '62. Still, I had toyed with the idea of putting a disc brake-equipped front end from a later A-body in; now I guess I have a real reason to. I know someone whose 1960 Valiant wagon has a Mirada front end installed - seems odd since the F/M/Js had the torsion bars going 90 degrees the opposite way - but if he did it with a swap that awkward, I don't see why the A-to-(newer)A swap would be that hard.

I just REALLY dislike the thicker chrome ring for the grill and the elimination of the cats-eye tail lights on the '62. I also prefer the dash of the '60 & '61s.

Of course, this is all academic if I can't actually FIND one for sale.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Check Wildcat Mopars in Sandy, Oregon. They seem to have several Toads.

The front-end sheet metal on the '62 was slightly different from the '60-'61 and will not interchange without modification. The '62 front end was "one-year-only" sheet metal.

The '62 grille and grille surround were also different from the '60-'61's.

Schumacher engine mounts for the LA block will work in a '62 but not a '60-'61 unless you swap in a later K-member.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I see them from time to time, in fact there is a nice 61' running around town, looks to be all original. If it goes up for sale I will post the info. I suspect it will soon, as the young couple have no idea what to do with it.

·
Chyrsler Historical Buff!!
1,892 Posts
Check Hemmmings and Old Car Weekly

·
Registered
3 Posts
I drive a 1960 Valiant. Love this car. It's VERY basic. Parts are kinda hard to find but in reality it is a basic slant six engine. I got a new carter one barrel carburetor and the only thing available was a 1962 carb that the parts store said wouldn't fit. Only difference was there was an extra spot for a pcv valve and I just plugged it but plan on adding later so I needed it anyway.

Body parts are hard to come by but mechanically they are basic. I Did replace the water pump and had to grind te blades down due to they were too large to fit. I carefully done it and been driving it daily. Normally when searching for parts only or at a parts store I check 1960 first and if nothing shows then check 1962 because from what I've read from 1960-62 they are very similar as far as compatible parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts