Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Its been slow here at the dealer so lets try something. Ask me any technical you'd like.A little background about me, i started with chrysler back in 2005 when i graduated highschool. I went through the CAP program and have been working as a chrysler tech ever since. Im master certified with almost 16yr of dealer experience at this point. I am fully certified in everything including viper certified. The only area i am not well versed in is diesel. Never worked on them. Every shop ive been at has always had a diesel specific tech. Also they suck to work on so ive never been interested. Ive worked at a few shops over the years as ive moved around the country. Every shop ive been to i have been ranked in the top 3 atleast if not number one. Not to toot my own horn but i am very good at my job, better than most. That being said, ask me any question you have from electrical to engine, differential, alignments and ny inspetions. Im familiar with all chrysler products since my training began in 2005. Iam some what familiar with about 2000 and up vehicles, but more so with newer vehicles. Particularly weird electrical stuff from the last decade or so. Feel free to dm if you dont want your answers public.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
37,457 Posts
A fellow CAP student, and they're actually VIPER certified?!
That's awesome lol
Former CAP student, graduated 10-15 years ago. Viper certified when it was still made. Read before you mock.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Welcome!!

Nice offer you made, should get some takers.

I see your post was (Edited by Moderator)

Any idea what was so offensive that needed moderating?

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
728 Posts
Former CAP student, graduated 10-15 years ago. Viper certified when it was still made. Read before you mock.
That one wasn't.
I see everything about your description the past few years dealing with your books man.
I never knew.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
728 Posts
Welcome!!

Nice offer you made, should get some takers.

Thanks
Randy
It was in all caps when I originally commented, now it's not.
I guess they thought it shouldn't be like that.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
728 Posts
Wouldn't really mock because I am also a CAP student, but am not Viper certified. Which sucks, because I like Vipers (I love the 5th gens in particular).

·
KOG
7,206 Posts
Good deal. When you have the time I'd appreciate your checking out my Jeep Commander thread on Hemi misfire.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
. . . Its been slow here at the dealer so lets try something. Ask me any technical you'd like . . .
. . . Good deal. When you have the time I'd appreciate your checking out my Jeep Commander thread on Hemi misfire. . . .
Member KOG has a puzzling misfire issue on a 2006 Hemi V8. Several of us have responded and indicated to check the MDS (multiple displacement system) consisting of the solenoid valves, internal oil passageways or valve lifters. Here is the link. What is your opinion?

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
37,457 Posts
That one wasn't.
I see everything about your description the past few years dealing with your books man.
I never knew.
Thanks. I moderated his post by taking down from all caps, though I didn't go back through to recapitalize what needs it.

All caps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Its been slow here at the dealer so lets try something. Ask me any technical you'd like.A little background about me, i started with chrysler back in 2005 when i graduated highschool. I went through the CAP program and have been working as a chrysler tech ever since. Im master certified with almost 16yr of dealer experience at this point. I am fully certified in everything including viper certified. The only area i am not well versed in is diesel. Never worked on them. Every shop ive been at has always had a diesel specific tech. Also they suck to work on so ive never been interested. Ive worked at a few shops over the years as ive moved around the country. Every shop ive been to i have been ranked in the top 3 atleast if not number one. Not to toot my own horn but i am very good at my job, better than most. That being said, ask me any question you have from electrical to engine, differential, alignments and ny inspetions. Im familiar with all chrysler products since my training began in 2005. Iam some what familiar with about 2000 and up vehicles, but more so with newer vehicles. Particularly weird electrical stuff from the last decade or so. Feel free to dm if you dont want your answers public.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good evening. I am new to the Dodge world. I just got a 2013 Dodge Charger Pursuit with 104,000 and the V-8. It has a problem running hot. I sent it to the dealer where they said it failed a block test. They suggested a tear down to confirm head gasket but also stated that the heads or block could be warped. The car has plenty of power, runs well, doesnt smoke, no coolant noticeable in oil. I will have it towed from the dealer back to our bus yard. Does a head gasket sound like the easy fix? With the test he said it had hydrocarbons or something like that in the coolant or oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the offer!

Two questions regarding a 2015 Chrysler 200S with the 2.4:
1. This car has always shifted very hard from 4th-5th gear. It mainly only does it when it is completely warmed up (trans temp above 165). The dealership did everything up to and including replacing the transmission. No improvement. Car now has 95k (trans replaced at 30k).
2. Same car - at about 70k, developed a thump in the rear suspension. Dealership replaced struts and mounts (twice - thinking the first set was bad). Still makes the same noise. They honestly have no idea what to start with next. Everything is tight upon their inspection, sway bar links are good as well. In addition, the inside of both rear tires wear rapidly. This noise can be heard from both inside and outside the car. It sounds like metal on metal knocking.

Any help would be appreciated. The dealerships in my area have been as useful as a screen door on a submarine.

·
KOG
7,206 Posts
Thanks for the offer!

Two questions regarding a 2015 Chrysler 200S with the 2.4:
1. This car has always shifted very hard from 4th-5th gear. It mainly only does it when it is completely warmed up (trans temp above 165). The dealership did everything up to and including replacing the transmission. No improvement. Car now has 95k (trans replaced at 30k).
2. Same car - at about 70k, developed a thump in the rear suspension. Dealership replaced struts and mounts (twice - thinking the first set was bad). Still makes the same noise. They honestly have no idea what to start with next. Everything is tight upon their inspection, sway bar links are good as well. In addition, the inside of both rear tires wear rapidly. This noise can be heard from both inside and outside the car. It sounds like metal on metal knocking.

Any help would be appreciated. The dealerships in my area have been as useful as a screen door on a submarine.
What's that? You need the dealer's help like a fish needs a bicycle?

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Good evening. I am new to the Dodge world. I just got a 2013 Dodge Charger Pursuit with 104,000 and the V-8. It has a problem running hot. I sent it to the dealer where they said it failed a block test. They suggested a tear down to confirm head gasket but also stated that the heads or block could be warped. The car has plenty of power, runs well, doesnt smoke, no coolant noticeable in oil. I will have it towed from the dealer back to our bus yard. Does a head gasket sound like the easy fix? With the test he said it had hydrocarbons or something like that in the coolant or oil.
Define "hot". They use a 203° thermostat, so temps up to 230° are considered "normal".

The LD squads use the Severe Duty 2 cooling package, which is a larger radiator, 2 - 3 spd fans, eng/trans/PS fluid coolers, and a number of application-specific ECM parameters controlling engine temps.

It is my experience that the cooling system components on the squads are not durable enough to meet the demands of the application.

Start with the weakest links, the rad and fans. Make sure both fans are working, at all speeds. Check your coolant cap, replace it with the new plastic version if necessary, and see if any foreign coolant may have been used at some point (it will look like severe atherosclerosis), which is inexplicably common in these cars. Check for leaks at all connections, including the plastic tee's in the heater hoses (near firewall), and lower rad hose. Check rad seals and belly pans. Check the engine oil cooler.

At this point, if you can't figure it out, one last easy check - turn the heater on and crank the temp all the way up. How's the heat ? If it doesn't seem that hot, or if you're smelling coolant and can't figure out why, congrats - it's time for a new water pump. Find the correct part - it should have a steel impeller. OEM was plastic junk, but there is a good one at RockAuto. There are also Dorman heater hoses with steel tee's there for cheap.

Lastly, if you replace the water pump, which is a pretty easy job, check the timing cover very carefully. Just like the LA engine, the aluminum cover on the 5.7 has a tendency to corrode in odd places, creating a leak. In my 35+ years of owning Mopars, I have yet to experience one porous enough to leak into the crankcase, but never say never. If it looks funny, replace it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What's that? You need the dealer's help like a fish needs a bicycle?
Problem is the dealerships I've taken this vehicle to won't help. Therefore, I have to resort to internet forums and message boards to solve issues they can't or quite frankly, won't. My dig was at dealerships in my area, not the OP.

Have an analogy for that one?

·
KOG
7,206 Posts
Problem is the dealerships I've taken this vehicle to won't help. Therefore, I have to resort to internet forums and message boards to solve issues they can't or quite frankly, won't. My dig was at dealerships in my area, not the OP.

Have an analogy for that one?
Of course, stealership.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,...what do you think about a different oil weight spec for 6.4 hemi truck engines...i have 91k on mine and dont want to get the MDS cam and lifter blues! i am retired old school 10w 30guy....hard to buy into 0-40w on an engine with cam and roller tip issues..5-40 or 10-40 better maybe? your thoughts? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts