Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow Mopar users/devotees , I would like to direct this post to Bob Lincoln ,if Possible.

I am in the processs of deciding wether to accept a 2002 Dodge Caravan W/ a v-6 Engine.

It has fairly hi-mileage, has ABS , and needs aFuel pump replacement. :flashyellow:

it is a Relatives car ,he wants to gIVE away to my Brother.

Any experiences/ advice on these "new generation" Mopars???

regards ,stu

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
I haven't owned one of these, but the V-6 engines of this era are said to be good. The 4-speed autos are susceptible to someone having put the wrong fluid in them - they require Mopar ATF+4 or approved equivalent. So I'd check the operation of the transmission carefully. Other than that, I've only heard about rust, which is normal for many vehicles that old.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,683 Posts
Fuel pump issues aside (Jeff's correct - you're looking at $600+ for fuel pump replacement) these are fairly reliable vehicles.

The 3.3/3.8 engines are rock solid. Some had flexplate issues (my 2000 T&C Ltd developed cracks in the flexplate) but those seem to be few and far between.

Agree on making sure the transmission has ATF+4 in it. As long as the fluid/filter is changed every 30K the transmission should last for a long while.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
I have the 3.3 in my 99 Grand Caravan and love it. No engine problems at all and it's almost to 196,000 miles now.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
The 3.3/3.8 can stand up to a lot of abuse. They're nothing special, just like the 2.2/2.5, in terms of performance, and there's very little that can be done in terms of aftermarket upgrades, but they're very solid motors.The 3.0 was, in my opinion, an unexceptional motor. They were reliable enough to get the job done, but they had oil leakage problems with the valve guides, especially as they aged. The early A604 transmissions were rubbish, and even with the very reliable and smooth 41TE that you'll have in an '02, you have to make sure to keep it fed with ONLY ATF+4. Any other transmission fluids will eventually ruin the transmission well before its time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts