Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have visions of running my 2001 limted P.T well over 200,000 miles.I talked to my local Aamco shop and they told me to expect to have a rebuild between 100,000 and 150,000.I change my fluid and filter once a year and use the correct fluid.Any chance I could get 200,000 out of this tranny?Or should I start saving the 2 grand they want for a rebuild?..Thanks people , I appreciate your input!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
powerglide said:
I have visions of running my 2001 limted P.T well over 200,000 miles.I talked to my local Aamco shop and they told me to expect to have a rebuild between 100,000 and 150,000.I change my fluid and filter once a year and use the correct fluid.Any chance I could get 200,000 out of this tranny?Or should I start saving the 2 grand they want for a rebuild?..Thanks people , I appreciate your input!
[post="453662"][/post]​
My wife's auto tranny on her '01 PT went out at 80,000 miles and it was serviced regularly. Others have lost them earlier. The tow truck driver told my wife he has seen a lot of PT auto trannys break. That's why we opted for a 90k mile warranty on her auto '04. I'd start saving now. I do know a guy who has access to upgraded auto trannys that are good up to 400 hp. They are more or less bulletproof and made a lot better than the stock one. They are somewhere around $2200-$2500.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Will check out upgraded trannys, In the meantime I will save my schuckles and if nothing else, go for one of those lifetime trannys.Thanks for your time!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
I think expecting 150 -200 K from any make automatic tranny is asking for a lot! (perhaps unless you put those 150k miles on in 5 years!)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,969 Posts
150-200K on the old A904 Torqueflites was very common. When coupled to a slant 6 it was an absolutely bullet proof drive train.
 
  • Like
Reactions: jodelf9

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your imput,I hope some people from Chrysler read this.I am thankful for this forum that we can get this stuff out in the open.I have had no trouble with mine so far and I love the car.Its funny that there is so much spent on advertising when the best advertising is a happy customer..Hey Chrysler!,Ya listening:?
 

·
little bit crazy
Joined
·
1,332 Posts
we have a 2001 pt
with over 200 000 kilometers on it
had it since new and no problems with the tranny
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
probsty said:
we have a 2001 pt
with over 200 000 kilometers on it
had it since new and no problems with the tranny
[post="461664"][/post]​

Consider yourself extremely lucky. Tow truck driver also included Chrysler and Dodge mini vans and Neons with the auto tranny having a much higher than normal rate of breakdowns. I'm glad you are lucky.
 
W

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
mean green said:
Consider yourself extremely lucky. Tow truck driver also included Chrysler and Dodge mini vans and Neons with the auto tranny having a much higher than normal rate of breakdowns. I'm glad you are lucky.
[post="461826"][/post]​
You want a bad auto transmission, my 1998 Mecury "Mistake" Mystique went through 4 complete transmissions in 3 years and 40K. Unfortunately, I learned of the "Lemon" law only after it had passed the maximum mileage. In a 36 month period it was in the shop for 266 days. It almost killed me three times with catestrophic (sp?) failures at speed (brakes, power steering, transmission) so after the last attempt I traded it in on a '02 PT Limited Auto, ABS, Lthr. I lost $3,000 on the trade but my PT is great and it has never spent a night in the shop.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
i have just purchased a 2001 PT cruiser limited edition. i have always loved the style of these cars,and was finally finacially able to buy one.i have had it for 2 weeks, and the check engine light came on. so i called the dealer where i purchased the car,and let him know about the problem.as it turned out the check engine light is telling me that there is a problem with the auto-transmision.the dealer gave me a 3 month warranty with the car,,,but now the problem with the car is not even covered with this warranty.actually the problem with the tranny is that it is stuck in the lower speed shift and will not automatically shift into the next speed. remember i said it is an automatic,,but it stays into the lower gear.you can only drive it 20 miles per hour. the car only has 61,000 miles on it. i finally got it to the chrysler dealership to be fixed and i`m looking at 500.00 total to have it fixed.this really discourages me about the car. i`m so worried about what else might go wrong on it.i love the car and i love driving it,,but i`m just wondering if i might have boughten a lemon car also.has anyone else had this problem with their PT???i`d love to hear from everyone that can help me from being so discouraged over this. thank you all very much,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,vickie black in ohio
 
W

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
smalfry said:
but now the problem with the car is not even covered with this warranty.actually the problem with the tranny is that it is stuck in the lower speed shift and will not automatically shift into the next speed. remember i said it is an automatic,,but it stays into the lower gear.you can only drive it 20 miles per hour. the car only has 61,000 miles on it. i finally got it to the chrysler dealership to be fixed ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,vickie black in ohio
[post="474769"][/post]​
I might be wrong but what you are describing sounds like the computer has put your cruiser in emergency mode. When your cruiser detects a major problem it will put the car into "limp" mode so you can get it to a dealership. You might want to find out the engine codes before they do any work.
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
neal said:
I think expecting 150 -200 K from any make automatic tranny is asking for a lot! (perhaps unless you put those 150k miles on in 5 years!)
[post="455380"][/post]​

Really? My 1994 Mazda that I just traded in had 170,000 miles on it and I never did anything with the transmission (auto). Maybe topped off the fluid during an oil change, if the lube place did that sort of thing. I dunno, I never did anything extra with it, that is for sure.

I fully expect my transmission on my new PT should last 200,00 miles and will be mighty unhappy if it does not.

And dont you guys have the 7/70,000 warranty on the power train?
 

·
Moparaholic
Joined
·
2,430 Posts
God Bless 41TE! Dude i loose a few minutes of sleep a nite over that dang Tranny - thinking about IMPENDING doom.
 

·
I'm so far behind I thought I was in first place.
Joined
·
4,810 Posts
juma1998 said:
God Bless 41TE! Dude i loose a few minutes of sleep a nite over that dang Tranny - thinking about IMPENDING doom.
[post="486816"][/post]​
I don't, and now we've got two of 'em :) The 4spd is much, much better than the old one. Take care of it, feed it ATF +4, cover yourself with the warranty, and see how it shakes out.

Our 92 5th Ave had a tranny rebuild in '94, we bought it in '99 and haven't had a problem (128k or so now). The 4spd in the PT shows the years of development; it's a vastly improved unit.

Electronic auto trans are *very* complicated units, so it's no suprise they aren't as bulletproof as the old Torqueflite
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
35,285 Posts
Rich is absolutely right. See
http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html
The #1 cause of transmission failure on these things IS the fluid changes because a lot of shops, AND SOME DEALERS, put in Dexron, which kills 'em quickly.

The PT does have one problem: it's a bit heavy for the transmission they put in, which can lead to problems. HOWEVER, despite the problems reported here, I should note that the PT is still among the highest-ranked vehicles for reliability.

One thing you'll notice on the transmission-repair page other than th eneed for the correct fluid and the tendency of mechanics to dump Dexron in, is the MIS-DIAGNOSIS of transmission problems and the frequency with which (a) computer retraining, (B) simple solenoid replacement, and © other stuff gets confused with transmission breakdowns.

Finally, did not most PTs have a 7/100 warranty on the powertrain? Which, for those with used cars, IS TRANSFERRABLE for a $100 fee - some years, for no fee? I understood that the 7/100 plan only disappeared for the 2005 or 2006 model year!
 

·
Moparaholic
Joined
·
2,430 Posts
I must note once again - that ATF+4 IS STILL NOT BEING USED in some (probably most) tranny shops sometimes not even ATF+3 still. They are still formulating DEXRON with additives - even now they have additives that make DEXRON supposedly Synthetic or Semi Synthetic so its COMPATABLE with ATF+4. In the year 2005 I thought this would have stopped by now - however i was sorely misteakin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
"Finally, did not most PTs have a 7/100 warranty on the powertrain?"

No. 3/36 thru '03. Standard 7/70 started in '04.
 
L

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
DaveAdmin said:
Rich is absolutely right. See
http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html
The #1 cause of transmission failure on these things IS the fluid changes because a lot of shops, AND SOME DEALERS, put in Dexron, which kills 'em quickly.

The PT does have one problem: it's a bit heavy for the transmission they put in, which can lead to problems. HOWEVER, despite the problems reported here, I should note that the PT is still among the highest-ranked vehicles for reliability.

One thing you'll notice on the transmission-repair page other than th eneed for the correct fluid and the tendency of mechanics to dump Dexron in, is the MIS-DIAGNOSIS of transmission problems and the frequency with which (a) computer retraining, (B) simple solenoid replacement, and ? other stuff gets confused with transmission breakdowns.

Finally, did not most PTs have a 7/100 warranty on the powertrain? Which, for those with used cars, IS TRANSFERRABLE for a $100 fee - some years, for no fee? I understood that the 7/100 plan only disappeared for the 2005 or 2006 model year!
[post="486903"][/post]​
Please how can I get the 7/100 warranty trans ferred to us? I have a 2001 PT Cruiser Limited with 54,000 miles. ljenni77
 
1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Top