Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"There are three sentences that, for this reviewer, define what needs to be conveyed about the 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The first: it is verygood.

Jeep spent 27 years building the Cherokee and its brand, from 1974 to 2001. Twelve years ago, the Cherokee nameplate rolled away into the distant hills and retirement, at least here in the NAFTA colonies, and it was replaced by a loaded word we knew as "Liberty."

Now the Liberty is gone, mostly unmissed, replaced by the highly anticipated vehicle that both returns the Cherokee name to our North American lives and returns Jeep to the midsize crossover segment and its 1.7 million annual sales. Those expecting something more conventional have voiced screamed their concerns about it, the natives of Jeeplandia especially put off, grabbing their torches and their spiked, solid front axles and tow cables, ready to club the new Cherokee – or winch it – back into the ocean.

Which brings us to the next two lines you should know about Jeep's new mid-sizer: the Jeep Cherokee is dead. Long live the Jeep Cherokee."

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/19/2014-jeep-cherokee-review-first-drive/#aol-comments

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just spent 10 min looking for the "hells revenge" trail molded into the plastic, I can't find it.... Anyone know where it is??

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Glove box door, take a picture of it and I can host it for you.

·
Mopar Guru!
12,767 Posts

The more I look at the Trailhawk, the more I love it. The Cherokee Laditude and Limited look to plain w/ the whole body color front fascia.

redriderbob

·
Registered
119 Posts
This quote from one of the comments pretty much sums up how I and probably many of us feel up this thing.
'That said, I can't get over the new Cherokee's looks. I don't care how good the vehicle is, if I can't stand to look at it, I won't buy it. It looks like three different design teams worked on the exterior, and the front end was grafted onto a somewhat tame body. It just doesn't fit, or look good in the least.'

I'd have buyers remorse every time I walked up to this vehicle or went to wash it. I'd rather drive my '05 Dodge Ram or '08 Charger AWD than this thing, even if I had it as a 1 day rental.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
The looks grow on you. I think the people commenting on Autoblog are exaggerating quite a bit because it is the Internet and they can be experts there.

While I don't think it is Grand Cherokee good looking, it would t give you buyers remorse in looks alone. Saying so is kind of over exaggerating things.

Reactions: cstarace

·
Registered
119 Posts
Mike V. said:
The looks grow on you. I think the people commenting on Autoblog are exaggerating quite a bit because it is the Internet and they can be experts there.

While I don't think it is Grand Cherokee good looking, it would t give you buyers remorse in looks alone. Saying so is kind of over exaggerating things.
The picture a couple days ago in the Cherokees have shipped thread of the vehicle in the dealers service bay, reinforced my dislike of this thing. The interior and powertrain may be good, but the complicated 4x4 system and the looks totally lose me. Every vehicle I have ever owned except 1 has been a Mopar. I wouldn't even consider this as an option if I was looking for something right now.

·
Registered
8,746 Posts
XJMOPARMAN said:
I just spent 10 min looking for the "hells revenge" trail molded into the plastic, I can't find it.... Anyone know where it is??
Under the front passenger seat cushion

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really think it's quite good looking. I remember months ago I said it had the Virgil Exner "form follows" function thing going and many were appalled.

This design does away with the boxy corners of the vehicle to a certain extent and that's a good thing to get the corners out of the way.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
billfrombuckhead said:
I really think it's quite good looking. I remember months ago I said it had the Virgil Exner "form follows" function thing going and many were appalled.

This design does away with the boxy corners of the vehicle to a certain extent and that's a good thing to get the corners out of the way.
of especially the air

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
redriderbob said:

The more I look at the Trailhawk, the more I love it. The Cherokee Laditude and Limited look to plain w/ the whole body color front fascia.

redriderbob
Well that has to be by far, the best angle shot yet.

It's official. I like the Trailhawk.

Still struggling with the rest of them.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
pensfan said:
The picture a couple days ago in the Cherokees have shipped thread of the vehicle in the dealers service bay, reinforced my dislike of this thing. The interior and powertrain may be good, but the complicated 4x4 system and the looks totally lose me. Every vehicle I have ever owned except 1 has been a Mopar. I wouldn't even consider this as an option if I was looking for something right now.
Well you are welcome to your opinion. Maybe Chrysler has a better option for you in a different model.

Just a few thoughts on the "complicated" 4x4 system. Every manufacturer is adding more and more technology to their systems. Truth is, for the driver, the system is not complicated... turn the knob to pick your setting and go. This is how it should be and is the beauty of the system.

The driver should not have to deal with the complications of the system, and they do not have to in the case of the Cherokee. I know some of the members are going to flame me for saying this, but... at the end of the day the more than average driver has no idea that ESC, MDS, driveshaft disconnect, or any of the other technical innovations that have come in the last 10-15 years are working magic as they drive.

The days of manual locking hubs are long gone. Is the system complicated for the engineers and technicians? Yes. Is the system complicated for the driver? No.

Mike

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Mike V. said:
Well you are welcome to your opinion. Maybe Chrysler has a better option for you in a different model.

Just a few thoughts on the "complicated" 4x4 system. Every manufacturer is adding more and more technology to their systems. Truth is, for the driver, the system is not complicated... turn the knob to pick your setting and go. This is how it should be and is the beauty of the system.

The driver should not have to deal with the complications of the system, and they do not have to in the case of the Cherokee. I know some of the members are going to flame me for saying this, but... at the end of the day the more than average driver has no idea that ESC, MDS, driveshaft disconnect, or any of the other technical innovations that have come in the last 10-15 years are working magic as they drive.

The days of manual locking hubs are long gone. Is the system complicated for the engineers and technicians? Yes. Is the system complicated for the driver? No.

Mike
And last time I looked, mechanical things broke too. There are pros and cons to both. But in the end, I would venture to say electronics and software, if done correctly, are very reliable. I think the "overly complicated" argument is a bit overblown as to why this will be inferior.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
JKU12 said:
And last time I looked, mechanical things broke too. There are pros and cons to both. But in the end, I would venture to say electronics and software, if done correctly, are very reliable. I think the "overly complicated" argument is a bit overblown as to why this will be inferior.
Agreed 100%

The, it's ugly kill it with fire, stuff is exaggerated too :). Looks will always be subjective.

Mike

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
JKU12 said:
We will wait and see if things truly have been done correctly but consider this, I just spent three months getting the electronic transfer case wiring repaired when a stick got up inderneath my Ram Tradesman. It took a former stand-alone Jeep dealer to chase down why the parts couldn't get the correct signals sent between them to engage 4WD. Now the new Trailhawk will have a much more complicated electronic 4WD system than my Ram. Makes me pause with concern.

Reactions: MoparNorm

·
Registered
143 Posts
GasAxe said:
We will wait and see if things truly have been done correctly but consider this, I just spent three months getting the electronic transfer case wiring repaired when a stick got up inderneath my Ram Tradesman. It took a former stand-alone Jeep dealer to chase down why the parts couldn't get the correct signals sent between them to engage 4WD. Now the new Trailhawk will have a much more complicated electronic 4WD system than my Ram. Makes me pause with concern.
Ya think that might have something to do with skidplates being standard on the Trailhawk?

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Sounds like an opportunity for aftermarket skid plates

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
GasAxe said:
Not to throw your dealer under the bus, but that sounds more like incompetence to me. A mid-range multimeter and the factory service manual can pretty much weed most electrical faults. If you have something like a picoscope (or full-fledged oscilloscope), things become much easier, and there is no reason at all for something to take 3 months to repair and diagnose.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts