Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the transmission pan last night for a filter/fluid change. The car is a 2001 PT Cruiser with only 27,000 miles on it. Pretty sure this is the first time the pan has been removed. I had trouble getting a of the few bolts out, one I "thought" was going to break (lucky it didn't, but the head is a little messed up). As difficult as these bolts were to remove, it almost makes me think I should be putting anti-seize on them rather than loc-tite when I re-assemble. Once they are torqued down to specifications, would I really have to worry about them loosening up (if I were to use anti-seize)?

Also, what are your thoughts with replacing the bolts with stainless steel ones? Would they be stronger and less likely to break (and not rust so much)?

·
Super Moderator
31,988 Posts
Sounds like they had been overtorqued originally. They should never be that hard to remove.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Use the soft Loctite or similar. Even RTV. You just want avoid the bonding that often occurs between a steel bolt and aluminum threads. Anti-seize will work for the threads, but I prefer to use something that provides a little bit of sealing material under the head of the bolt.

·
Premium Member
20,078 Posts
Agree with both, a little too much loctite from the factory.

·
KOG
7,002 Posts
All of the four speed FWD automatic pans I have removed have been very tight from the factory. No need to do anything odd with the bolts, just clean the threads with a wire wheel and use a torque wrench when reinstalling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts