Allpar Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
DaveAdmin said:
Yes... whose idea it was, and who approved it, we don't know...
They first noticed the "LJ" or long wheelbase TJ, was gaining traction and accounting for 25% of Wrangler sales. When the JK was conceived, they knew they had to offer a long version. Who decided to add the extra doors is unknown, but the rest is history.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
guyver[this word has been banned due to its use as a pointless flame tool said:
y]Probably the best thing Daimler ever did for Chrysler.
Even though Im a Jeeper...and own a four door Wrangler, my vote would go to the return of rear wheel drive and the Hemi, as the best things to happen under Daimler.
Not sure who gets credit, but not sure it matters.

·
Well-Known Jeeper
2,932 Posts
To say it's "the best thing Daimler did for Chrysler" is not perhaps as accurate as "the best thing Chrysler did while under Daimler management". (And I agree with Norm that the return of the Hemi tops it)

·
10,397 Posts
Best things under Daimler:

1. RWD 300, Charger and Challenger
2. HEMI
3. Wrangler Unlimited
4. SRT brand
5. Development of the Pentastar engine...?

Worst things under Daimler:

1. Chrysler Crossfire, Aspen
2. Mutilation of the Chrysler Sebrings
3. Caliber
4. Compass & Patriot
5. Cheapened Caravans, T&C and Grand Cherokees
6. F-ugly 2nd gen Durango and technically unimpressive 2nd gen LIberty

I think the list of damages outdoes the list of things gained under Daimler.

·
Administrator
35,256 Posts
I'm not buying the LX as the best thing that happened under Daimler at Chrysler. We have no idea what Chrysler would have come out with, had it not been for LX, and it set us up for a decade of "worn-out hand-me-down Mercedes design" put-downs. 

Hemi -- yes. 
Wrangler Unlimited -- yes.
SRT -- yes.
Pentastar -- absolutely, that was under Daimler. "Hey, how can we simultaneously make Chrysler look bad and Mercedes look good? We can fob off major development programs to Chrysler and then charge them royalties for using 'em!"

PT Cruiser was a huge big deal from 2001-2005. 

Second generation LH should be counted. They were very successful 'til near the end. 

Ever-better Vipers should count for something

As for "bad Daimler" are you forgetting "Hey, let's teach Hyundai how to make good engines so they can compete with us more effectively, and at the same time we can saddle Chrysler with a design that's not as good as their current one?"

Dropping compact sedans...  because they might compete with Hyundai and Mitsubishi, presumably... should also be in the glad to be rid of Daimler category.

·
10,397 Posts
I have a hard time envisioning a hot FWD Dodge Charger and Challenger ;-)

·
10,397 Posts
As good as that car was, I'll take this one over that one any day

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Interesting artical and if I was to buy a Jeep it would have to be a 4 door wrangler.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Well, I own some of the "Daimler" stuff, and it has proved reasonably reliable, fun to drive, and not without it's frustrations, just like any other car I drove over the years. But, it has a stout engine and transmission and a pretty good suspension, and that counts most of all to me, so I'm happy.
I also loved the Crossfire and the Aspen, especially the hybrid. While at a dealership recently, I sat in a sweet little 2005 light blue Crossfire hardtop with a six speed. Basic with low mileage, even cloth seats! Nearly bought it on the spot, had to run away!
And every time I see an Aspen, which is fairly often, I still really like the looks of them, so much better the the Escalade or the Durango it derived from.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts