Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know (or care to speculate wildly) if the same pattern with the shifter in the current 8-speed Charger (v6) will continue with the Hemi versions? In the current v6 setup, the gear selector only moves a small amount and the "selection" is made automatically. Instead of autostick on the shifter, the only option now is to have paddle shifters on the steering column (which is not ideal, unless doing straight-line racing). Hopefully that won't also be the case with the Hemi versions, but I'm suspecting that it will.

·
3,813 Posts
How are paddle shifters not ideal by comparison to reaching down and moving the gear stick left or right? Especially "unless doing straight-line racing"? You shouldn't be shifting mid corner if we are talking racing, plus it paddles would allow you to not take your hands off the wheel. Furthermore, they aren't on the steering column, they are attached to the wheel itself and move with it.

·
Administrator
35,254 Posts
I would be almost certain that the shifter will be the same annoying unit, coupled with paddle shifters. I am a bit annoyed that the 300C V6 does not come with paddle shifters. I do not believe they are available as an aftermarket option, either. Relieving that annoyance is the fact that the transmission is almost perfect. There is, though, a kickdown lag, and there are times I'd like to knock it down a gear or two but can't.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JRS200x said:
How are paddle shifters not ideal by comparison to reaching down and moving the gear stick left or right? Especially "unless doing straight-line racing"? You shouldn't be shifting mid corner if we are talking racing, plus it paddles would allow you to not take your hands off the wheel. Furthermore, they aren't on the steering column, they are attached to the wheel itself and move with it.
Because I race autocross, and it requires that you shift while in mid-turn. You can't do this with the only shifting ability being on the steering wheel (which is what I meant, not the column) because it would be difficult to know which one is which. You can't look at the wheel and try to figure out where the correct shifter is, that's not realistic (or safe). It's a terrible idea for anyone that isn't just doing quarter mile runs.

·
Radioactive
5,347 Posts
Does anybody actually use the autostick?

I have "just to try it out", but never in the course of everyday driving.

Darkpaw said:
Because I race autocross, and it requires that you shift while in mid-turn. You can't do this with the only shifting ability being on the steering wheel (which is what I meant, not the column) because it would be difficult to know which one is which. You can't look at the wheel and try to figure out where the correct shifter is, that's not realistic (or safe). It's a terrible idea for anyone that isn't just doing quarter mile runs.
Try keeping your hands on the wheel.

:)

Seriously; if you are seated correctly, you should be able to go "lock to lock" without taking your hands off.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I use autostick on the minivans all the time. My main drive is up a mountain with a lot of truck traffic, so depending on their speed I don't want to keep hunting gears. I'll pick one and keep a steady pace.

·
3,813 Posts
You intend to autocross with a Hemi Charger? This is getting weirder.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jeff2KPatriotBlue said:
Does anybody actually use the autostick?

I have "just to try it out", but never in the course of everyday driving.

Try keeping your hands on the wheel.

:)

Seriously; if you are seated correctly, you should be able to go "lock to lock" without taking your hands off.
You've obviously never raced autocross, or at least not a hard course. :) A good course will require you to make hand-over-hand turns, and you will need to shift during it.

I get that obviously the number of people like me that race large cars like this in auto-X is probably small, but would it really be so difficult to just leave in the autostick on the floor the way it is now? They can add in the paddle shifters to make more money off it. Heck, I'd pay the extra $250 to rip the paddle shifters OUT of it, if it gives me back control on the floor.

JRS200x said:
You intend to autocross with a Hemi Charger? This is getting weirder.
The big cars actually do fairly well in auto-cross, if you know how to drive them.

·
Radioactive
5,347 Posts
I have Autocrossed a bit... and have also taken "Skid Skool" performance courses that gave me a chance to disprove (to myself) the "need" for hand-over-hand.

I suspect that staying attached is made easier with the paddle shift.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, it may be easier to stay attached, but sometimes you can't. I have extensive experience in it, and someimes you have to go hand-over-hand in sharp turns, that's just the way it is.

Regardless, if nobody knows for sure, I guess it is what it is and we'll all find out in a couple months if they're leaving it in or not. I was hoping that somebody either knew or could give a somewhat "insider educated" guess to this question.

·
3,813 Posts
To answer the question it will most likely remain just paddle shifters. In all applications of the 8 speed in Chryslers lineup the "Autostick" or ERS function is handled with either paddles or buttons, most likely due to it being an electronic shifter or whatever.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Darkpaw said:
I never use the paddle shifters in my Charger. I feel they are more gimmick than useful. My car has a "Sport Mode" shifter position which seems to work much better for me when driving aggressively. I.M.O. a single paddle for up/dn shifts would work better.
Chasing the radio control buttons around the steering wheel while turning is annoying enough.

·
Registered
267 Posts

·
Radioactive
5,347 Posts
trumpet12345 said:
I use autostick on the minivans all the time. My main drive is up a mountain with a lot of truck traffic, so depending on their speed I don't want to keep hunting gears. I'll pick one and keep a steady pace.
So, you use it the same way you would have used 3 or L on the 4 speed... I could see using it like that, but nobody rows their own gears with them, do they? (Not counting Autocross.)

·
3,813 Posts
It is NOT Autostick on the minivans. It is ERS or Electronic Range Select. All you are telling the transmission is what is the highest gear it is allowed to go in to.. You are NOT telling it when to shift etc. Autostick and ERS are two different systems.

Autostick really only appears in the cars that I am aware of. So, Charger, 300, Challenger etc.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
JRS200x said:
It is NOT Autostick on the minivans. It is ERS or Electronic Range Select. All you are telling the transmission is what is the highest gear it is allowed to go in to.. You are NOT telling it when to shift etc. Autostick and ERS are two different systems.

Autostick really only appears in the cars that I am aware of. So, Charger, 300, Challenger etc.
to be fair, chrysler markets them the same way, and it gets murkier than that as well.

charger/challenger have autostick, the magnum/300 v6 and r/t(or 300c) had ERS, SRT had autostick.
trucks and vans had ERS, but the toggles on the shift lever of a 2500 ram i remember driving said "autostick"

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Avengers also have actual Autostick. I assume the 200 does as well, but maybe not if the 300C doesn't (another Dodge vs. Chrysler difference?).

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Compass/Patriot also have Autostick shifters...in the CVT cars...I suppose Daimler found it cheaper to use one shifter and Fiat didn't change it until the 6 speed arrived.

·
3,813 Posts
With the CVT the autostick does actually simulate gears, but really its just a set of predefined ratios to jump between.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts