Allpar Forums banner

Autoweek review of the 2014 Durango

4K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  UN4GTBL 
#1 ·
The Dodge Durango is a rootin' tootin' rear-wheel-drive-based drive SUV while its competition is primarily FWD-based. Chrome and alloys trickle down to the base SXT model, shiny where similarly priced Honda Pilots and Explorers resemble UN peacekeeping vehicles. Its forward-canted grille has the unique ability to frighten children and small dogs. And yeah, just in case you were wondering -- it's got the Hemi. (Chrysler marketers will never live that down with the grace and dignity that they lived down "rich Corinthian leather.")

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130923/carreviews/130919855#ixzz2fkwn5PYZ

#6 ·
I agree....the wheels look like they belong on a Chrysler.

#7 ·
Having now seen the Citadel wheels in person I actually really like them. They have a more muscular look than i thought they would and actually fit the vehicle really well. Not as cool as the black pocketed R/T wheels, but they still look good.

They are MUCH better than the 2013 wheels which were awful imo, and chrome clad. (glad we are getting rid of the chrome cladding apparently)

#8 ·
That was not much of a review. It read like someone told this guy to drive the Durango and throw a review together, and he did exactly that.
I feel like I read a review that said "It drives gooder than before!" articulated through a bunch of extra words and that was it.

But, it was positive, so that's good. I just feel a bit like the Durango, even with the great updates, is getting an "also ran" level of attention. It's a solid vehicle, it deserves to succeed.

#9 ·
Powdered Toast Man said:
They complained about the font on the speedometer? Wow, talk about hunting for something to b**** about.
Exactly, I've spent several days in a new JGC limited which has the same instrument setup. Its clear and all gauges are easy to see..including the tach, fuel and temp. They are not pushed into little corners as that author suggests.
Try a new Impala if you want small gauges pushed into corners that are hard to read!

#11 ·
Having now seen the Citadel wheels in person I actually really like them. They have a more muscular look than i thought they would and actually fit the vehicle really well. Not as cool as the black pocketed R/T wheels, but they still look good.

They are MUCH better than the 2013 wheels which were awful imo, and chrome clad. (glad we are getting rid of the chrome cladding apparently)
Being the 'old school' guy that I am.....I LIKE chrome wheels. Maybe offer them as an option ?

#14 ·
Powdered Toast Man said:
They complained about the font on the speedometer? Wow, talk about hunting for something to b**** about.
To me, that's a valid complaint. I will go on record as stating that I do not like the current typeface used on the Dodge gauges. I find it very difficult to read at a glance.

I said the same thing when Pontiac used it, too.

Chase300 said:
Exactly, I've spent several days in a new JGC limited which has the same instrument setup. Its clear and all gauges are easy to see..including the tach, fuel and temp. They are not pushed into little corners as that author suggests.
But to the JGC gauges use the same typeface as the Durango does? Last I recall, Jeep's gauge typeface was more of a standard Helvetica and not difficult to read.

Could it be that the way the TFT was set up, the gauges were, in fact, pushed to the corners?

dak4x4 said:
If you don't like the wheels, it means your getting to be old.
No, it means I don't like those wheels.

#15 ·
unverferth said:
Being the 'old school' guy that I am.....I LIKE chrome wheels. Maybe offer them as an option ?
I like chrome wheels on some vehicles. But chrome clad wheels have no place anywhere. The ones on my Charger didn't hold up at all. Chrome clad = aluminum wheels with a plastic covering that's chromed.

#16 ·
Tomguy said:
I like chrome wheels on some vehicles. But chrome clad wheels have no place anywhere. The ones on my Charger didn't hold up at all. Chrome clad = aluminum wheels with a plastic covering that's chromed.
The chrome clad wheels on my Challenger still look like new. So did the ones on my 2005 300C when I traded it in last year.
if I was in the market for a Durango Citadel, I'd look for some other new-take-off wheels. People still want bigger wheels than the factory offers and it make for a nice supply of take-offs.

#17 ·
Stratuscaster said:
Hate is a strong word.

But I don't like them either. They look too "frail" for the Durango.
I like them, just wait till you see them in person, they look sharp

#18 ·
JRS200x said:

I can tell you that many of the previous owners of the Citadel liked the chrome wheels. I personally am not a fan of the new wheels. They look like they should be on the SXT. I am also disappointed with the interior of the Citadel. It lacks warmth and true luxury feel. No real wood.....no wood steering wheel...Where's the leather on the dash? Perhaps they are setting the Citadel up for the introduction of the Grand Wagoneer. I don't know I just wasn't impressed with the new interior. Love the "knob" transmission. of course the 8.4 is a welcomed addition. But I was hoping the interior would be at least as nice as an Overland.

#20 ·
CJDsalespro said:
I can tell you that many of the previous owners of the Citadel liked the chrome wheels. I personally am not a fan of the new wheels. They look like they should be on the SXT. I am also disappointed with the interior of the Citadel. It lacks warmth and true luxury feel. No real wood.....no wood steering wheel...Where's the leather on the dash? Perhaps they are setting the Citadel up for the introduction of the Grand Wagoneer. I don't know I just wasn't impressed with the new interior. Love the "knob" transmission. of course the 8.4 is a welcomed addition. But I was hoping the interior would be at least as nice as an Overland.
It's never had any of that, so you must not have liked the previous Durango either. I have never understood the Citadel and its price point and have said before that it is nowhere near as nice as an Overland or Summit. It's not BAD, but it isn't Overland quality and I thought it would be. I am actually okay with the lack of wood, as that really doesn't fit with the Dodge image but there is very little that separates a Citadel from a fully loaded Limited at this point which is odd.

Either way, I think you all are being hard on the '14 Citadel wheel, it looks good, it is a 20 inch polished aluminum wheel (which is what all Dodge's are going to) and has a sporty but high end look in my opinion.

#21 ·
CJDsalespro said:
That was my thought too with the higher models at least...no leather on the dash

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.