Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because existing sources of vehicle reliability information left much to be desired, in late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research at TrueDelta.com. TrueDelta reports absolute stats like "trips to the shop" that make the differences between cars much clearer. Results are updated four times a year, so it's possible to provide reliability information on new models quickly. Also, any significant changes in a model's reliability become apparent quickly.

I've added the 2008 Avenger and Sebring to the main survey. Will probably need more participants to provide results, though.

I'd very much like to provide reliability info on the new Journey--but so far only a single owner has signed up.

Every once in a while a domestic car far accuses me of bias because most of the cars I have results for are imports. Well, this is why...the one variable I cannot control is who signs up and participates.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, panel members will receive full access to the results for free.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Vehicle reliability research

·
Prodigal Son
964 Posts
There have been the recalls of course, but I haven't heard anything about the cars being unreliable.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Few cars are unreliable during their first few years these days. I'm hoping my results will make the actual size of the repair rates clearer.

Up to nine 2008 Avengers Need more of these, and of everything else.

Auto reliability research

·
Registered
100 Posts
Our dealership only got their first Journey TODAY ... so there aren't too many owners in these parts yet. Give it time ... it IS a 2009 model!

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,672 Posts
Our dealership only got their first Journey TODAY ... so there aren't too many owners in these parts yet. Give it time ... it IS a 2009 model!
And the fact that Chrysler LLC has had not advertising for it until this past week. I've seen at least one ad and heard a few on the radio for the Journey.

Local dealership is having a 'hard' time keeping them on the lot. They seem to be selling them as fast as they get them in - they haven't had more than 3 or 4 on the lot at any given time. I have seen two other Journey's out on the road in the local area so they are selling.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Getting more Journeys in the panel now--17 in all so far. It has nearly caught up to the Avenger, and the Avenger had a year's head start.

More will of course be needed for a reasonably precise result. So hopefully additional owners will continue to sign up and participate.

Vehicle reliability research

·
Embrace your dreams
3,954 Posts
We just bought an Avenger R/T last night.

It's been VERY reliable for the first 100 miles. :p

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still holding up well?

The Avenger has been doing okay in our results, while the Journey has been doing not so well.

Additional participants needed for both. Help get your model and year included:

Car reliability research

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,672 Posts
With just over 12K miles since March our Journey SXT 3.5L has been doing fine. It was just in for it's third oil change and tire rotation. At that time, the dealership performed what they called Rapid Response Items. The first was replacing a shim in the rear hatch - apparently the originals were subject to possible corrosion. The second was replacing the power steering resevoir and the third was replacing the brake level switch - this was not in stock at the time and will be replaced the next time it's in for service. The service writer was careful to note these items were not 'recalls'. It should be notated none of these items were giving us any problems and were replaced at dealer/manufacturer cost.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Now 18 2008 Avengers, so I'll include them in this month's survey. More will be needed to provide results, though.

For the details, and to help make this happen:

Auto reliability research
I'm one of the 18 Avenger owners in the survey. If it keeps going like it has since august, very few problems. We had a tire pressure monitor recall taken care of, and just had a small warranty item fixed. The chrome peeled off of the inner door handle and cut my wife's fingers. Replaced under warranty no questions asked. If you are a Avenger owner, it would go a long way toward proving that the Chrysler products are worthy of consideration by prospective car buyers. Just my 2cents worth. :p By the way, we love our Avenger!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought a new 09 Dodge Journey in March and now with barely 3000 miles is leaking oil. Brought it to the dealer today and they say they have to replace the oil pan gasket. I traded an 03 Grand Caravan and never had a problem with it. Is this normal? I hope they fix it properly. I was excited about the vehicle but this takes the excitement away.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I bought a new 09 Dodge Journey in March and now with barely 3000 miles is leaking oil. Brought it to the dealer today and they say they have to replace the oil pan gasket. I traded an 03 Grand Caravan and never had a problem with it. Is this normal? I hope they fix it properly. I was excited about the vehicle but this takes the excitement away.
Haven't heard that complaint from anyone. What engine is in the vehicle?

Sometimes, things happen. Nothing can be manufactured with no defects. You got "lucky" this time :( .

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We've updated the results to include owner experiences through March 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2009 Journey: 128, worse than average

2008 Avenger / Sebring: 63, about average, marginal sample size

A big thank you to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Dodge Journey reliability comparisons

Dodge Avenger reliability comparisons

·
Embrace your dreams
3,954 Posts
We've updated the results to include owner experiences through March 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2009 Journey: 128, worse than average

2008 Avenger / Sebring: 63, about average, marginal sample size

A big thank you to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Dodge Journey reliability comparisons

I signed up for your website: 2008 Dodge Avenger R/T, 3.5 V6, FWD

You have nowhere to specify that in the 15,000 miles I've put on this car, I have not had anything on it repaired. At. All.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I signed up for your website: 2008 Dodge Avenger R/T, 3.5 V6, FWD

You have nowhere to specify that in the 15,000 miles I've put on this car, I have not had anything on it repaired. At. All.
Thank you for signing up. Another response for the Avenger will be very helpful.

Actually, you can post your experience to date by using the Repair History Survey.

Use the main survey to report any repairs from this month on.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We've updated the results for the Avenger and Sebring to include owner experiences through June 2009. The reported repair rate for the 2008 is 63 successful repair trips per 100 cars per year, which is about average.

A big thank you to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Updated results next month. We'll cover any model and model year from 1995 on for which enough owners sign up and participate, including the Cirrus and Stratus (would retitle the thread if I could).

Car reliability research

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We've updated the results for the Avenger and Sebring to include owner experiences through September 30, 2009. The reported repair rate for the 2008 is 42 successful repair trips per 100 cars per year, which is better than average. But the sample size is now below the minimum, so this result is less precise than earlier results.

A big thank you to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts