Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm needing to replace the '98 GCaravan AWD with an AWD vehicle that gets 30mpg. Oh, it needs to cost less than $8,000! So far, all I can come up with is Subaru which might get 30mpg.

·
Registered
530 Posts
98gcawd said:
I'm needing to replace the '98 GCaravan AWD with an AWD vehicle that gets 30mpg. Oh, it needs to cost less than $8,000! So far, all I can come up with is Subaru which might get 30mpg.
Subaru, until just recently, did not have any vehicles that achieved 30 MPG highway. Currently, they have a few, but of course, none for $8,000.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hmmm. AWD/4WD and 30 MPG for under $8... I found a used 05 Outback for 7200 and it was like new for someone I know. However, that was out of their price range. And I'm not sure even that got 30 highway. It looked like it was brand new even though it was going on 200k miles.

Maybe there is an Audi with quattro that gets above 30 for under 8. But if your looking for under 8 I'm guessing your insurance would also need to be relatively low/parts relatively low.

I know just the thing, Susuki SX4 or Kizashi. Could probably find one of those with the AWD option under 8, not sure about the mileage on either of those tho. But I know that insurance and parts on them are both ok (for now).

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Dang, it looks like they only offered the 2.0L AWD Suszuki SX4 here in the States. That's a shame, the 1.6L got (gestimated adjustment anyway) 33 (non-imperial) MPG.

The Kizashi, however, AWD can get 29 highway, but it looks like it's not hard to get above that real world, since it has a mode you can manually switch off the AWD if you want to save some fuel by doing so. Only problem, again, is probably parts long term, and then possibly finding one for under $8k. Which here in the states, may not actually be too hard a thing to do.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
For $8,000 you can get a really, really nice skateboard, but the only CUV close is at 29 mpg and about $22,000 more than the 8G budget.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A really, really nice skateboard, you're just too much funny,eh.

I don't put much stock in "rated" mileage. I wonder what my 98 GC AWD was rated at? I've gotten a high of 24 MPG on a 15 hour round trip with nearly 200K on the clock and that was an honest, calculated mpg not some computer generated bull bleep. A while back I was keeping track of my mileage for my daily 130 mile commute and was getting a consistent 20 mpg and that's a commute that starts at 2000 ft elev and goes over 7000 ft. Since my commute is 90% freeway that helps the mpgs. So a Suby Impreza with manual trans just might get me near 30? A TDI VW with 4motion will definitely get me over the 30 number but of course with more expensive fuel. Problem with the VW is they share too much with the Audi, which is a beautiful car, but I'm tired of wrenching and they need it constantly. I see all kinds of Quattros in the area I work and those A4 wagons are pretty nice looking, for that type of car. And to have a nice interior with properly bolstered seats in leather instead of the cloth fleet vehicle [email protected] I'm used to would be sweet.

I was just wondering if there was some vehicle out there I was overlooking - sheesh.

Sir Moses, I never see any recent Zukis and have never heard of a Kizashi! There are all kinds of cool diesel powered vehicles available every where else in the world but the Govt in its infinite wisdom denies us their use. :thumbsdown:

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
The 98 Grand Caravan was rated at 16/23 (19 combined) when new. Under the newer stricter standards it is now rated at 14/22 (17 combined).
You can look up any car from the past 20+ years at:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/
The 2008 Impreza 5 speed non-turbo is rated at 27 mpg highway, so it's close. No idea on if it meets the price goal.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
98gcawd said:
A TDI VW with 4motion will definitely get me over the 30 number but of course with more expensive fuel. Problem with the VW is they share too much with the Audi, which is a beautiful car, but I'm tired of wrenching and they need it constantly. I see all kinds of Quattros in the area I work and those A4 wagons are pretty nice looking, for that type of car. And to have a nice interior with properly bolstered seats in leather instead of the cloth fleet vehicle [email protected] I'm used to would be sweet.
Yes, diesel is more expensive at the pump, but don't confuse that with being more expensive to operate. If you run the numbers on comparable engines I'll bet the diesel costs less on a cost per mile basis. Just like E85 is deceptively higher even though the price at the pump is much cheaper (though not cheap enough) than E10.

For $8K, I'm assuming you are looking at "used". Good luck in your search. 30 mpg, AWD and $8K - gonna be hard to find IMHO.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
If your commute is 130 miles per day and your running in high elevations with larger elvelation hanges, I think a diesel Audi or VW wagon may be just right for you. The diesels are pretty reliable and lower maintenance from what I hear. If your running your car that much, you can probably get the long run benefit of a lower overall cost. Gonna be hard to find a good one under 8k though.

ALso, the newer Suzukis aren't that bad in any respect. They were just full of meh. I've heard rather good things about the SX4 and Kisashi, I just don't understand why it never sold. Probably because it's a Suzuki. Consumer Reports destroyed them and Isuzu in the sales department.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
98gcawd said:
A really, really nice skateboard, you're just too much funny,eh.

I don't put much stock in "rated" mileage. I wonder what my 98 GC AWD was rated at? I've gotten a high of 24 MPG on a 15 hour round trip with nearly 200K on the clock and that was an honest, calculated mpg not some computer generated bull bleep. A while back I was keeping track of my mileage for my daily 130 mile commute and was getting a consistent 20 mpg and that's a commute that starts at 2000 ft elev and goes over 7000 ft. Since my commute is 90% freeway that helps the mpgs. So a Suby Impreza with manual trans just might get me near 30? A TDI VW with 4motion will definitely get me over the 30 number but of course with more expensive fuel. Problem with the VW is they share too much with the Audi, which is a beautiful car, but I'm tired of wrenching and they need it constantly. I see all kinds of Quattros in the area I work and those A4 wagons are pretty nice looking, for that type of car. And to have a nice interior with properly bolstered seats in leather instead of the cloth fleet vehicle [email protected] I'm used to would be sweet.

I was just wondering if there was some vehicle out there I was overlooking - sheesh.

Sir Moses, I never see any recent Zukis and have never heard of a Kizashi! There are all kinds of cool diesel powered vehicles available every where else in the world but the Govt in its infinite wisdom denies us their use. :thumbsdown:
A diesel is likely to be 30% less costly to operate, even with slightly higher fuel costs.
Diesel prices are very regional, with diesel being cheaper out here in SoCal, than premium fuel.
That being said, EPA estimates are just that, estimates and are intended to provide COMPARISONS not real world fuel economy, so use them as a guide, not as gospel.
My take is that any used car as cheap as $8,000 will likely not be maintained well enough to achieve anything close to 30 mpg.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Apparently the newer Imprezas with the 2.0 and the AWD get a combined 30 mpg (27 city, 36 highway). But they are $17k brand new. Might be able to get a certified one (100k warranty) with low miles for $13k? Above your budget, but the warranty might save you enough money to make up the difference.

8k is a tough target for a vehicle -- especially an AWD one. Most cars in this range have over 70k miles, so things start needing to be replaced, and then when you figure in the cost of these repairs, you may as well have spent 12k to get a certified car with a warranty. But there are nice cars in the 8k range if you can find a one owner car that's been babied.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
jd_1138 said:
Apparently the newer Imprezas with the 2.0 and the AWD get a combined 30 mpg (27 city, 36 highway). But they are $17k brand new. Might be able to get a certified one (100k warranty) with low miles for $13k? Above your budget, but the warranty might save you enough money to make up the difference.

8k is a tough target for a vehicle -- especially an AWD one. Most cars in this range have over 70k miles, so things start needing to be replaced, and then when you figure in the cost of these repairs, you may as well have spent 12k to get a certified car with a warranty. But there are nice cars in the 8k range if you can find a one owner car that's been babied.
Hard to say, he'd have to get a bad Subaru to have it make up for it (except in the really long run). They are built pretty well and can take a good beating. It's hard to find Subarus under 150k miles on em and them not look great.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wasn't expecting this much response to the topic. There's nothing magic about the 30 mpg number, obviously the bigger the number the better. Since the van has problems I've been commuting with the 93 Cummins and that costs almost $35 a day. It would be real nice to just go buy a new vehicle but I don't want another payment in this economy in my line of work. I looked up the Suzi SX4 and it does look promising. An out of the area dealer is advertising an 07 hatchback with 50k miles for 7500, but its an automatic and its a 6 hour round trip from here! A new wrinkle is that the Missus isn't too keen on me commuting in a little puddle jumper on I-80 in the snow sharing the road with all them semis. I wonder what kind of mileage I'd get with a Cummins powered Ramcharger! :excited:

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
98gcawd said:
I wasn't expecting this much response to the topic.
Welcome to Allpar. ;)

Maybe if we flesh out your needs and wants a bit more, we can help you zero in on something that can work best for you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
98gcawd said:
the 93 Cummins and that costs almost $35 a day.
Wow, that's $600 a month. No wonder you want a car with great MPG's. Even if you make another car payment, might be worth it if you can save enough on gas to make a large chunk of the car payment.

My neighbor/friend commutes 150 miles a day in an old beater that gets 15 mpg. So he uses 10 gallons of gas per day, 200 gallons a month at a cost of $700. I pointed out that he could buy a brand new economy car for like $250 a month and his gas bill would go down to like $300 a month instead of $700. So in effect, the brand new car would be like free plus throw in an extra $150 in his pocket.

"I can't afford a new car!", he replied. :closedeyes: Sounds like he can't afford to drive his old beater (that breaks down a lot too and costs him a lot for repairs). He isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. He's been doing this for 3 years. Had he followed my advice, he'd be $5,400 richer (150x36 months) plus add another few thousand to that figure for what he's spent on repairs to keep the old beater on the road.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts