Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is an article mentioning the release of Jeep's B segment competitor:
http://www.auto-types.com/autonews/jeep-will-launch-the-new-b-class-suv-in-2014-10198.html

The best part is about the feedback from European customer's and Chris Ellis' statement that he agrees that the Grand Cherokee's on-road characteristics aren't as good as competitors.........................................................................REALLY?

My friend has one, and the on-road manners are phenomenal. I like them better than my Lexus RX. Where does this clown want to go with the on-road manners?

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
I doubt there will be a Fiat version of the B-class Jeep. More likely an Alfa version, if any.

Unless the "plan" has changed again.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Something's seriously wrong with that article. Unless it's been through Google translate and back again, the word choice and syntax don't sound like a native English speaker. If you click the author link, the description and picture are "the big blond" but click through to his Google+ page and he's a totally different guy.

Makes me wonder if this 'article' is a mashup of others, and Ellis was talking about the new Cherokee replacing the previous Cherokee (Liberty in North America).

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
I doubt there will be a Fiat version of the B-class Jeep. More likely an Alfa version, if any.

There will be, and closer than you think. Fiat 500X & B-Jeep are on schedule to be built at Melfi, I think by end of CY2014. (dont quote me on the date though)

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:

The plan was always to have the B-Jeep built alongside the FIAT 500X.
The Alfa SUV (if they ever get around to it), would be a cousin to the Cheroke.

EDIT: Sorry Dan, I just noticed you said the same thing :) My bad...

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
unclejjg said:
The best part is about the feedback from European customer's and Chris Ellis' statement that he agrees that the Grand Cherokee's on-road characteristics aren't as good as competitors.........................................................................REALLY?

Where does this clown want to go with the on-road manners?
Meh, I can understand that. Europeans tend to concentrate on handling a bit more and they compare the GC directly with the X5, and ML. Those two cars tend to handle "better" as far as Europeans are concerned.

Part of it is the on-center feel issue. Americans drive a lot of HWY miles, so they prefer a "dead" on-center feel; whereas Europeans prefer a much more reactive steering, even if it means more constant adjustments when driving on a highway. Geometry (camber), Springs, sway bars tuning, shocks, etc, etc. all have an effect on it.

Another major diference is that the GC is actually designed so that is CAN go offrad (bare with me Norm). Lock to lock is greater than in the competition, and that also has an effect on handling.

In short, in the US the GC has been lauded as having an almost "european" roadside manners, but in Europe its ride is still "markedly American" in the sense that it leans slightly more in corners and the steering isn't as reactive.
Jeeps need to be thought and engineered for worldwide consumption now, so the comment was probably directed at other markets, not the US.

Just consider this; even the new Maserati Quattroporte was desinged with the US and Chinese markets in mind above all, and as a consequence the the on-center feel is more marked and conseuently the steering is slightly less reactive. Even though the difference is minimal, I was reading a French review and they immediately noticed the change. And it's absolutely minimal! They just concentrate more on those aspects over there.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
RVC said:
Just consider this; even the new Maserati Quattroporte was desinged with the US and Chinese markets in mind above all, and as a consequence the the on-center feel is more marked and conseuently the steering is slightly less reactive. Even though the difference is minimal, I was reading a French review and they immediately noticed the change. And it's absolutely minimal! They just concentrate more on those aspects over there.
The Evo mag review says the same thing.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
So, to sell Jeeps worldwide, they must further change from their roots.

Another example of why Jeep should not be the only SUV sold worldwide.

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
So, to sell Jeeps worldwide, they must further change from their roots.

Another example of why Jeep should not be the only SUV sold worldwide.
but if they do that on a GC it shouldn't be a big deal; I mean, it's not a Jeep to begin with :stirthepot:

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
RVC said:
but if they do that on a GC it shouldn't be a big deal; I mean, it's not a Jeep to begin with :stirthepot:
Oh, that was the best pot-stirring yet! You deserve an award!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts