Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally getting some time to work on my '86 600ES ragtop.

It sat in a tow yard beside a rail line for quite a while, windows down of course, so the interior needs a deep, deep DEEP cleaning.

Lots of little fittings and trim to repair or replace....then I'll be able to turn back to doing the bodywork

Here's an example of just how gungy the interior was...

Look at that seatbelt!!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Turbo, I assume? The white paint is probably a real blessing-- it's getting hard to find paint in some of the other colors, but I imagine the white must be a fair bit more common.
Saw one of these in my local junkyard a while back-- that one was in real sad shape. Nice to see someone still wants to keep these old cars around.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turbo fer sur....in fact that was teh first repair that was needed. When I got the car it had the 'James Bond Smoke Screen' option - the seals were so bad in the turbo it was blue and white smoke thick enough the car would disappear in a cloud of smog if you let it idle for more than a minute.

Next was a flaky connector to the power module - caused all sorts of strange electrical issues, solder on both sides of the metal where it was supposed to make contact fixed that.

It also had a broken top frame - found one at the local wrecker JUST before they crushed the car.

The white paint is actually tremclad LOL - once i find a good set of front fenders I'll be stripping the paint and respraying it

·
Registered
116 Posts
Dan:

Can you explain the electrical connection to power module you fixed? I may have the same problem on the 84 LeBaron convertible which is very similar to your car in circumstances. Very similar. I've "fixed" lots of electrical things, but weird things keep popping up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ALLThumbs....the issu on my car was maintaining good contact with the power module. If you held the connectors JUST right the car would start and run perfectly...if the moved it sputtered and died. The solution was to clean both sides and then 'tin' them with solder, so far it's holding :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
So, clean both sides of the plastic multiconnector plug things (12 in one, ten in the other, something like that on mine) that are basically at the drivers side firewall, or clean both sides of some other part of the connection?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts