Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 200-2007? Minvan with manual doors you have that thumb button to open the door.
It is terriable. Its very hard to operate and I can only imagine the cost to fix it,
Can we all agree that it is a very bad system?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I've never had an issue with any of the 4 vans I've owned/been assiciated with. My 9 year old son has been opening and closing his own door for a couple years now.
Maybe yours was damaged somewhere along the way. I see nothing wrong with the system and find the psoitive hill hold quite useful.

·
Super Moderator
21,353 Posts
It's the science of ergonomics-making mechanisms user friendly.
I've watched the very young and the very old struggle to open a car door and wondered how to make it easier. Does it make sense to push in a button in order to pull open a door? Not with arthritic, weak or painful hands it doesn't.
For most of us it isn't a problem. There are both good and bad ideas out there.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never had an issue with any of the 4 vans I've owned/been assiciated with. My 9 year old son has been opening and closing his own door for a couple years now.
Maybe yours was damaged somewhere along the way. I see nothing wrong with the system and find the psoitive hill hold quite useful.
Yes the hill hold is very usefull. But on my van both doors button is tough to operate. The button seems to have a sweet spot, if you push it just right its not to bad.
I still think it is a bad system.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
The prevous 2 generations of mini-vans, the rear deck hatch got a lot of bad press. An impact at just the right angle would cause the solenoid for the power unlock to move and unlock and open the rear latch. There were a couple of accidents the rear hatch came open and it hurt people, don't know if it was just a matter of impact forced the door open or lock solenoid did its trick, that the media went so nuts about.

I had the door actuation motor fail on my '02 mini-van. The key lock is connected to the latch and opens it mechanically, so if the little motor ever fails, you can still open the rear hatch using the key, but that can be a pain. I found a replacement motor at RockAuto.com for like $30, it took a whole 30 minutes to replace it myself with nothing more than 2 different size torx drivers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is the exact post I am looking for but I would like to know how to fix this. Our drivers side read door is super hard to open. You have to press the button all the way and super hard and it will finally open. My 8 year old can not do it. I have it apart and want to be able to fix it myself but the part guy doesn't know which part to sell me. Everything in the handle looks fine, nothing broken. I tried some things to make the wire seem shorter by making it go around an item and that worked for a day or two than no longer helped. All other cars I have owned, google has found a post about how to fix a problem. Not this silly van. 2006 town and country

·
Super Moderator
21,353 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Soak the latch down with oil or a medium-bodied lube. Loosen the link set screw and adjust the latch-to-outside handle link slightly longer. This will shorten the pushbutton throw. You may not need new parts and they may not fix the problem. The slot for the set screw (#3) is at the rear of the door near the latch.
80cf48f0.gif
The links can be adjusted by removing them from their retainer clips and repositioning them for a shorter throw to release the latch. Avoid bending them.
large.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts