Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my left backup light failed just before inspection. As with my last car, the bulb is fine and the socket is getting power. As I probed, though, one of the brass wedge contacts crumbled and fell out of the socket. Time for a new socket.

Ten years ago I bought one from the dealer for $18. No longer available from them. Marty has 3 at Arizona Parts, but I need to fix it right away to get my inspection sticker. And they are Perfect Used, so there's the risk one of them might break due to age.

Autozone didn't have the right socket. Same with Advance Auto. They had 3-tab flanges, mine has 2 tabs. Went to NAPA, and though they didn't have a cross-reference, by looking at the picture in the catalog vs the part I brought in, we found a match. Their PN is LS6100, and it's $17. Nearest part is coming from CT, and a second one from VA. Just thought I'd pass along the info to anyone else who might need one.

Soon we're going to get to the point with these cars that we'll have to fabricate parts and adapt new ones.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Bob Lincoln said:
So, my left backup light failed just before inspection. As with my last car, the bulb is fine and the socket is getting power. As I probed, though, one of the brass wedge contacts crumbled and fell out of the socket. Time for a new socket.

Ten years ago I bought one from the dealer for $18. No longer available from them. Marty has 3 at Arizona Parts, but I need to fix it right away to get my inspection sticker. And they are Perfect Used, so there's the risk one of them might break due to age.

Autozone didn't have the right socket. Same with Advance Auto. They had 3-tab flanges, mine has 2 tabs. Went to NAPA, and though they didn't have a cross-reference, by looking at the picture in the catalog vs the part I brought in, we found a match. Their PN is LS6100, and it's $17. Nearest part is coming from CT, and a second one from VA. Just thought I'd pass along the info to anyone else who might need one.

Soon we're going to get to the point with these cars that we'll have to fabricate parts and adapt new ones.
Or possibly they'll finally become enough of an enthusist car people will make start reproducing them. But based on the numbers they made, and just about every junk yard I've been at says they crush em when they come in, keep the good parts and only keep the really good ones they get in, it's hard to say that they ever will be able to have enough numbers to make it viable.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. Picked it up at NAPA last night and fixed it. Another is on order to fix the right side pre-emptively.

·
Registered
342 Posts
When the time comes I will be converting to LED.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, but this failure would still occur regardless. The bulb was fine. The socket failed due to stress cracking corrosion.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Good information Bob, had one do the same thing a while back and hadn't found a replacement yet, now I know, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are scarce, better get them while you can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts