Allpar Forums banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
The Poster Formerly Known As "Bethlumboy"
2,644 Posts
Dave said:
Right, I think the dimensions will be driven by Alfa’s needs...
Alfa's gunning for BMW, right? A 6C with a WB of 106" would be comparable in size to the 1-Series coupe, and a Giulia with a WB of 110" would be comparable to the 3-Series sedan.

Following that logic, a D-RWD CUV would be right in X1/X3 territory (and would be a good starting point for a new Patriot and a new Nitro), a WK-based SUV (if Alfa gets one, in addition to or in place of the Maserati Kubang) could compete with the X5, and an LX sedan could go after the 5-Series.

·
Premium Member
20,265 Posts
I bet Norm will agree with this: Time for a 4.0 V8 Hemi with 4 inch bore centers!

Mopar has done enough suspension stuff to get it right the first time without any help.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
dana44 said:
I bet Norm will agree with this: Time for a 4.0 V8 Hemi with 4 inch bore centers!

Mopar has done enough suspension stuff to get it right the first time without any help.
On one side, the Hemi (back in 2002? can't recall) as was explained at the time, had the potential to punch it up one litre and down-size by one litre - evidently, the scope of the design. If down one, then that would be 4.7L . Don't know if there is room in the design to massage it even more to get to roughly that 4.0L displacement. That plus the weight and the physical outside dimensions might be problematic.

However, what I brought up earlier about leveraging the Maserati 4.6L V8, but with a less aggressive feature-set might be useful - and with what you just said; maybe a de-stroked or 'narrower' bore would suffice to get it to about 4.0L ... that isn't really all that much of a drop on a cylinder-volume basis.

Experts ought to chime in ...

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
dana44 said:

:lol:
You've been pushing that for a while.
Hypothetically, what do you think the ft. lbs. and at what rpm would it work out to... ?

·
Premium Member
20,265 Posts
Well, 4.0 in a Hemi could make a potential 325hp/375lb-ft torque at 4800rpm and 4200rpm, and that's with a fairly mild cam. The cool thing is, it would have the potential of a safe 6500+rpm redline. Already have the design for the flat topped pistons from the 2.0, and it would be lighter and cheaper to build than the 4.7 (since the 5.7 was), and a 2 inch shorter block than the 5.7, and even shorter than that when a proper water pump/accessories package made for the front half of the engine. It would definitely be a tight little package, Knock 75 lbs off the 5.7 weight, mileage sould be able to break into the mid 30s, given the V8 has more torque and could be lugged more, then add MDS and you have a winner.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Dave said:
I was told that ’Cuda name has been dropped.

They might still be doing an SRT two door with a different name from the Dodge four door. I don't know. It would be interesting to have a separate SRT body, that would do more to split off SRT as a real brand than anything else... and I don't see big sales for a four door Dodge.
This actually makes the most sense...

It actually also allows SRT to build the "Viper in a Diaper" theme with the Hellcat in a smaller car to be the "Vette" fighter....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dave, I'm curious if your informant said the moniker Cuda has been scrapped or if the DODGE will be dubbed Avenger.
The Alfa Giulia's 4-door sister will supposedly be a Dodge (Avenger, thank God for common sense), while the Alfa 6c's 2-door sister is the one that was tentatively go to be called Cuda, but it wasn't a Dodge, but an SRT.

So, while it's true that the Dodge won't be called a Cuda, it was never going to be.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts