Allpar Forums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Chuzz and I have our decisive answer and we didn't need Modern Marvels to tell us what we knew.;)

Reasoning and common sense prevailed, at least in our case !!!

Thanks
Randy

"Modern Marvels" had a funny scene about engines vs motors on their Engine show.
note" there was no decivise answer.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
You obviously had a fine High School Automotive Class/Instructor!!

You obviously have a smart brain to be able to keep it straight;)

Thanks
Randy

Back in 1959 to 1962 when I was in high school automotive classes we were taught that a "Motor" needs an external power source (example electricity) to operate where as an engine produces it's own power to operate. Also, after running race dynos for 25 years using electric dynos we would "motor" the engine using the dyno to do so and get it up to speed (800 rpm) and then turn on the gas and electric so the engine is running and therefore powering the dyno. This causes the dyno to become a generator and the power would go to a outside source. After the power run was completed we would shut off the gas and electric so that the dyno was motoring the engine and we would motor the engine up through the speed range and record the friction horsepower at all the points. Therefore we would graph the the power produced by the engine (BHP) against the friction of the engine (FHP) to see where improvement could be made.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
I didn't have auto shop class in high school, man. It wasn't offered. I learned most from my father and then I went to a vo-tech school for 1,400 hours training in engines. That was in 1974-75. My, how things have changed!

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
The only ones who care are the ones that know the difference!!

Thanks
Randy

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Just like Demming "conceiving" the Japanese auto industry, or Canada not having an auto industry... Details are for suckers.
I can see you really don't understand what I say. I never said Demming conceived the Japanese auto industry, and as far as Canada they do not have a auto industry all makes are American. So get your facts straight.:):rolleyes: I guess they should call Detroit Engine city !!!!

·
Registered
659 Posts
I can see you really don't understand what I say. I never said Demming conceived the Japanese auto industry, and as far as Canada they do not have a auto industry all makes are American. So get your facts straight.:):rolleyes: I guess they should call Detroit Engine city !!!!
Actually, you did...

But as you also said, "who really cares"?

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Post HS. 2100 hrs. Run by Tacoma Public Schools. Proceed at your own pace. Teaching projects come from the public @ list price of the parts plus 10%. You were treated just as if you are on the job except for learning time.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I have a quart of motor oil out back. Where should I put it. NOTE: no answer is required. It would be physically impossible anyways.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Most motor oil company's state their oil is best in your ENGINE.

Thanks
Randy

PS: Remember, most motor vehicles are powered by ENGINES.
Most furnace fans are powered by motors, electric motors.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Right on!!

At least I got to share that most motor vehicles are powered by Engines!!

A tip of my hat to Mopar Engine oil.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
When I turned on the TV a few days ago, I saw a couple in the back of an Escalade having an escapade in a parade while in the enginecade. -- There are times my wife calls me a doofus, but it's only because she forgets the word Adonis.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts