Allpar Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Additionally, for clarity, Detroit never built 2 door or four door "post" sedans. 2 & 4 door hardtops or 2 or four door sedans. 2 or 4 door hardtop wagons, but no 2 or four door "post" wagons. "Post" anything was never referenced. This is a modern vocabulary affectation.

Check The Old Car Manual Project to see decades worth of brochures, one won't find a reference for 2 or 4 door "post" anything.

Also add: switch "out" swap "out" change "out" and price "point".
Switching, swapping and changing already infers that something is coming out. Same with "price point": the price is the point. The price is the price. Price "range" is the proper term when discussing a price segment. A point is specific.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Yes, the term "post" shows a general lack of automotive history.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Yes, the term "post" shows a general lack of automotive history.

Thanks
Randy
Post is an old term for "Pillar" as used before the Fifties. At that time they were all vertical and it fit. My how words and meanings change. As a younger person in those days, PILLAR was never used at the dealer. It was always a 2-door or 4-door post until early in the 50's when we finally got a "HARDTOP". Even though metal tops were "Hard" before then.

Pillar (car) - Wikipedia

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
If anyone can show an automobile manufacturer sales brochure from any era that uses the term "post" I would like to see it.

Like Citation84 mentioned, "post" is a home made term for folks that couldn't figure out the difference between a sedan and a hardtop.;)

From about 1971 on there were variations on terms such as pillared hardtop etc but still none were called a "post".

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
60; thanks for the memories. What wasn't listed is the GT model that came with a 318 4 speed. As a side note, Oldsmobile and others made 4-door hardtops back in the 60's.

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Pontiac Safari & Chevrolet Nomad are the best known 2-door hardtops.
Sorry you are wrong they had a post or pillar behind the front door. The Mercury and Chrysler where true hardtops they had the post or pillar behind the rear window.

·
Valued Member
2,447 Posts
Sorry you are wrong they had a post or pillar behind the front door. The Mercury and Chrysler where true hardtops they had the post or pillar behind the rear window.
Here is a scan of the 1957 Mercury ad. My Dad had a red 2 door hardtop wagon exactly like the one in the picture. As you can see it also came in a 4-door hardtop also. It had a 255 HP - 312" engine with the 2 speed Mercomatic transmission.
1957 Mercury Commuter Wagons.jpg

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Actually, the original FordoMatic and MercoMatic were three speed automatic transmissions.

The confusion stems from the fact that they started out in 2nd when in the Drive position.

You have to select manual Low to engage 1st gear.

If max acceleration is required, you shift from Low to Drive then back to Low once 2nd is engaged.

Then, a shift from Low to Drive allows the final shift into high, or direct Drive.

There was a small car 2 speed auto for the Falcon, Farlane etc from about 1960 to 1965.

The next generation had D1 and D2 to start in Low or 2nd.

Around 1967 Ford settled on Drive - 2 - 1.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
OP: its been years since I've been in a hardtop. Where the front window meets the back window was there alot of air leakage and wind noise.

ps: I do remember it was alot easier to put a cloths hanger through the window"
gap" if you locked your keys in the car .

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
OP: its been years since I've been in a hardtop. Where the front window meets the back window was there alot of air leakage and wind noise.

ps: I do remember it was alot easier to put a cloths hanger through the window"
gap" if you locked your keys in the car .
Noise wasn't a big problem if you had good seals and proper adjustment. GM had seals at the top of the door windows that opened when you opened the door.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts