Allpar Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
37,742 Posts
I don't honestly know anything that would cause it. Other than the JVC stereo and the BOSS amp, and the repair of the Radiator Fan Relay Circuit, nothing is different from the OEM wiring. I am going to try removing the stereo next and see if I wired something up wrong, but I can't imagine I did. I had to buy one of those harnesses that has the CAN bus capability for RAP, but I wired it to the way the instructions said. It's very frustrating. I've only had it a few months, and I don't recall it having this problem before I replaced the stereo.
I would certainly do a kill switch on the stereo and amp. I don't know anything about Boss, but JVC hasn't always been the world's leader in quality. That said, the proof is in the pudding, or at least in the measurement.

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring in Cool Vanilla
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I would certainly do a kill switch on the stereo and amp. I don't know anything about Boss, but JVC hasn't always been the world's leader in quality. That said, the proof is in the pudding, or at least in the measurement.
The stereo is pulled and the kill switch to the amp is off. Let's see how the car reacts...

Reactions: Dave Z

·
Super Moderator
32,804 Posts
I would not ground to the floorpan, it's not a great return path. I'd wire back to the fenderwell where the battery grounds.

Reactions: the3dgm

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Stupid question I'm sure, but I'm just the guy to ask it. Does your PT have fog lights? If so, you may want to check the multifunction switch for the drain. IDK, just trying to think outside the box. Bob Lincoln is a bonified electrical wizard, so you should definitely listen to him.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Stupid question I'm sure, but I'm just the guy to ask it. Does your PT have fog lights? If so, you may want to check the multifunction switch for the drain. IDK, just trying to think outside the box. Bob Lincoln is a bonified electrical wizard, so you should definitely listen to him.
Everyone has been very helpful so far, indeed! So no fog lights. But, in an update, I finally listened to my wife who said "it's probably your radio setup."

Yeah. Of course she is right. I pulled the wiring out and plugged the Factory Deck back in. After driving to work, I left the car battery connected. I worked a 14 hour day (not uncommon but that's a whole nutha post)...got in the car, and it fired up; previously, it would be dead. I'm still testing this theory, but, if it turns out that the problem DOES lie within the radio circuit, I suspect the wiring harness may be the blame. I bought it used off eBay, and it looks a little abused... it worked, but I think now that there might be a short somewhere in that harness that's keeping the CAN bus circuit awake.

More to come! Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
FINAL UPDATE!!

The radio system is 100% the cause of all my woes. Here's what I surmise:

I purchased an AXXESS XVI-6502 interface/wiring harness for Chrysler 2004 and up (if memory serves; in any event it indicated that it was compatible with the Wolf) from eBay. It was pre-owned, and when it arrived it did look slightly-less-than-gently used. I wired it up as it instructed me to, and everything powered on and sounded beautiful, so I didn't really think anything of its physical appearance. Three days ago, as I mentioned, I pulled the whole unit out and restored factory system; for three days, I have not had a dead battery. Nor has the car "security protocol" kicked in and shut the engine down. Based on this data, I have concluded that there is an issue within the Interface that was preventing accurate communication with the PCU, resulting in wonky data which caused the PCU to remain "active" when it should have gone to sleep. Assumedly, this would also confuse the PCU in relation to the signal from the key. While it seemed that all the circuits would shut down as expected following key off, the Interface seems to have kept itself "asking its questions" of the PCU, which had to then stay awake to "answer" it.

This really sucks; not so much because now I have to find a new harness/interface, but moreso because my wife now has "I TOLD YOU SO" rights for the next forever and a day. :) But, I have found a couple different units I could go with. I have idataLink's Maestro ADS-MRR interface + HRN-RR-CH3 harness, which can cost about $200, and I recently found METRA's WM CH-13 SWC interface + harness for > $50 at Walmart. Price being a factor, I can't see any major difference in operation between the two manufacturers... Unless anyone has had such a horrific experience with the Metra product, I will most likely pick that up and install it.

**EDIT: I would leave the factory system in; as I have a bluetooth FM transmitter that works just fine; but the radio knobs are janky. Any bump or vibration will cause the radio to go off-channel, and adjusting any parameters (bass, treble, mid, frequency, clock, etc) is nearly impossible because of it. Also, I have this awesome sound system it would be a damn shame not to use it.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Everyone has been very helpful so far, indeed! So no fog lights. But, in an update, I finally listened to my wife who said "it's probably your radio setup."
FINAL UPDATE!!

The radio system is 100% the cause of all my woes. Here's what I surmise:

This really sucks; not so much because now I have to find a new harness/interface, but more so because my wife now has "I TOLD YOU SO" rights for the next forever and a day. :) ......
Glad to hear you appear to have found your problem :D

But sorry to hear you're going to pay for it for while, for not listening to your wife sooner :ROFLMAO:

So, exactly how many days and how many times has your wife told you to check the radio set up?

Your 1st mistake was to let your wife in your garage, your 2nd mistake was to tell her what you were doing and basically admitting defeat. ;)

If she asked you what you were doing, you should have just told her you were still in the "troubleshooting" phase. :p

Now take her out for a nice diner and spit out those words that she wants to hear, ".....yes dear, you were right and I should have listened to you sooner....." :love:

It will only hurt for a little while, you'll feel better about yourself and can move on :cool:

21 - 27 of 27 Posts