Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious what others experience is with battery life on LC and LX cars. I am wondering if the battery location in trunk away from the heat of the engine helps - heat is bad for battery life. I have the original battery in both my 2010 Charger and 2010 Challenger and no signs of any weakness (knock on wood). The Charger was a "B-car" - originally delivered in May 2010 - timing belt failed before delivery - new engine - car had only 250 km on it when I bought it in November 2010. So it sat a significant time - which is hard on a battery (sulfation). But I put the car on a battery maintainer whenever it sits for more than a day or so. The Challenger being summer only is on a maintainer more than not. So I am sure that helps. I have only once before had a battery for 10 years and that was a Delco battery back in the '90s. Quality of the battery may be another factor - though I have seen Mopar original batteries replaced in as little as 3 years.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True that.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
The effects of the average temperature where your car is located is more of a predictor. Batteries in Arizona don’t last very long. Highs during the summer months can be 120°F.
Batteries for me and my PT, being in North Texas, last about 2 years, and I buy good, premium batteries, no junk.

The one I just bought recently is from NAPA and it has a 5-year warranty and it's the largest (physically & specs) that I could get over a stock battery.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,901 Posts
Batteries for me and my PT, being in North Texas, last about 2 years, and I buy good, premium batteries, no junk.

The one I just bought recently is from NAPA and it has a 5-year warranty and it's the largest (physically & specs) that I could get over a stock battery.
A contributing factor with PT's is such a small engine compartment. No doubt in my mind that such a small compartment contributes in part to short battery life. Texas heat can be a killer - I was stationed at Fort Sam in '82 for 6 months.

I don't have a LX or LC, but I do have a '06 Dodge Ram 1500. The original MoPar battery was 7 years old when I replaced it. I may have been able to get a few more years out of it, but with winter approaching and it being 7 years old, I didn't want to chance it.

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
609 Posts
I can't recall what batteries LX/LC use, but the latest and greatest relevant Fleet advisory for LD Pursuit models is to have their batteries tested at 4 years, and replaced at 5 (if the car is still under the 5/100 Fleet warranty).

I doubt that info is of much use for retail models, however, since those newer squads use a unique size/group and CCA AGM battery.

That said, if the battery in question is a wet-cell battery, a $5 tester saves a lot of trouble. That can also help track down a weak or dead cell. I would think a decent parts store battery should last a good 2 or 3 years, depending on how the car is used, the condition of the electrical system, and what modifications have been made.

Reactions: tomit

·
Registered
286 Posts
Replaced ours at 5 yr 2 mon. Just as a precaution - going on a cross-country road trip when covid dies down.

·
Super Moderator
32,162 Posts
My 2011 Chrysler 200 has the battery in the left fenderwell, and I replaced the original in July 2019. As a precaution, I replaced the original battery in my wife's 2012 200, which we bought new, in Aug 2019.
We live in MA, where OEM batteries tend to last 3-5 years. I replaced them with Interstate batteries, first time I've ever used them, because they seem to have a good reputation. Have also had good luck in general with Duralast from Autozone.

·
Super Moderator
37,490 Posts
I always had good luck with the batteries, except in my 2007 Magnum. It killed them. There was a random parasitic drain and I didn't drive the car every day and eventually the battery would no longer hold a charge. If the doors were locked the drain didn't happen as often. After the third battery, I replaced the PCM for another issue and the random drain went away.

·
Super Moderator
32,162 Posts
My brother bought my 92 Dakota new and had it 12 years. He went through about 5 batteries. Dealer could never find a drain (hint: they could not have really tried). He was in the service and away a lot, but it would not crank after sitting for just 3 weeks.
When I bought it from him, I found the same, and I measured a parasitic draw of nearly 100mA. I tracked it to the tach drive board, which, it turns out, uses both battery and ignition power for no apparent reason, by design. I removed the card, cut and jumped the battery trace to the ignition trace, and it worked exactly the same, and draws no current now when off.

Reactions: chuzz

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,901 Posts
FYI - Many newer vehicles have a IOD fuse (Ignition Off Draw). My '06 Ram 1500 has it. Owners manual recommends disengaging the IOD fuse if the vehicle will not be driven/used for more than 21 days.

Reactions: chuzz

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can't recall what batteries LX/LC use, but the latest and greatest relevant Fleet advisory for LD Pursuit models is to have their batteries tested at 4 years, and replaced at 5 (if the car is still under the 5/100 Fleet warranty).
I keep waiting for the battery in my 2012 Pursuit to die, but it keeps on going.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
288 Posts
I'm pretty sure the battery in my Compass is all original.
Still starts every day, which is surprising since I know I drained it empty a year or so ago lol

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
On average about 3 years for most batteries here in the great white north.. did have a battery last 5 years in my HD Ram 2500 and the new one should technically last longer being an AGM.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
My original battery on the Challenger went 9 years. Granted, it sat parked in enclosed storage and out of massive daily temp swings for about a year in 2010-11, and about 18 months of 2017 and 2018. Trunk location does make a difference.

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks

·
Super Moderator
32,162 Posts
it seems for newer cars the battery just dies, I mean no warning at all. One day all is normal the next day the battery is dead.
Mine was 8 years old, the original, and it gave me warning by cranking slowly for several days. But the alternator failed at the same time, so I ended up using AAA to bring the car home on the commute home from work. Even then, I ran on battery for 20 miles, until the transmission started shifting up and down on its own for a few miles. So I can't complain, it gave me lots of warning.
And the new alternator was revision G, so improvements had been made since the car was built.

Reactions: Tony K

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,901 Posts
it seems for newer cars the battery just dies, I mean no warning at all. One day all is normal the next day the battery is dead.
The '93 Aerostar I had had the battery die without warning way back when. Drove to a Fas Mart to get coffee. Came out it was as dead as a doornail. No lights, no cranking. Nothing. It was a Die Hard that died in the month the warranty died (60 months).

·
Super Moderator
32,162 Posts
Only two brands have died without warning on me - Die Hard, multiple times. Once it was an internal post connection that failed. It was always less than 3 years. The other was Exide Edge, which shorted internally after a few years while I was driving home. I found out when yellow-black smoke started coming from under the hood, and I could smell sulphur. I made it home without it exploding, and I shut it off, put my fire gear on, came back and disconnected it as fast as I could.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts