Allpar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995 dodge grand caravan
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a 95 grand caravan for 200 bucks. the engine has been gone through, new battery new tires, no broken windows. the only things i have had to were minor things like door latches and the transmission it goes up to 2nd and no more. checked the fuse and relay took the solenoid pack off cleaned it and went to put it back on and found the plate. bought a couple of gaskets that didn't even come close to lining up found out there is an early and a late-type i guess i have the early type and i cannot find the two gaskets for it or the replacement solenoid pack and i cannot figure out how to test it without a 1000 dollar tester. if i can get the trans working right it would be a nice van. the dealer wants 250 just to test it, that is ridiculous ther is a trans shop twenty miles away that will test it for free but the roads are nasty and i don't know if it would hurt it to drive in second gear.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
23,671 Posts
What are the TCM fault codes? Start the diagnosis with that.

·
Super Moderator
40,009 Posts
My guess is there’s a serious transmission problem and that’s why it was cheap. But you won’t know until it is scanned.

·
Super Moderator
40,009 Posts
don't know i don't have a scanner and the dealer wants $150 just to plug in their scanner.
Well you can easily spend more than $150 throwing parts at it and all that money would be wasted if the transmission is worn out.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
23,671 Posts
Consider the diagnostic fee as a part of the total repair cost, such as a tool or shop manual.
It is good to know what needs repair before you begin.
Always diagnose first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts