Allpar Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I;m a NEWBIE at a standstill on my 1950 Plymouth SD. I bought this car for a project. All floor pans need replacement,, body supports, etc...Lots of work needed but thats not a problem with me.... Pulled the old flat 6 out, it was frozen when i bought it.. Dont feel i want to rebuild it because its super heavy, lacks power, and probably only good for 50 or 60 thousand miles. For the same 2 or 3 thousand engine investment i;d rather go with a higher millage motor, say a 3.8l buick v6 or to manys dismay a sbc.. I would appreciate input from u guys who been down this roador who actually KNOW the mechanics involved, such as: If i go with the 3.8l will i have problems with the exhaust manifold hitting the 1950 stock steering unit, what kind of trans will work, what driveshaft do i need, what rear new axle assembly will be good. The same questions apply for a sbc transplant if i choose that course.. Motor mounts, trans mounts, whatever is involved i would appreciate your input. Stan in Pa.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Having helped with a 4.7 Hemi install in a '49, I can assure you that it is the way to go. Just get the engine/ytranny from a wrecked Ram truck, and get all the wiring and sensors. It is really a very easy install. Even motor mounts are available online, as well as other assist companys. With all the good Mopar stuff available, why even consider another brand?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts