Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got back from the car show on Saturday and turned the car off to unload the trunk, etc. Went to start it up and pull it into the garage, and all of a sudden the starter will not rotate the engine. All I hear when turning the key is a loud "click" as the starter engages the flexplate.

I tried to jump it with the other car; no change. The battery reads 12.5 V with my multimeter. The engine is NOT seized; I can turn it over with a breaker bar and it does not seem to have any more resistance than normal

I assumed it was the starter, so I took it to autozone and had it tested; it passed. They gave me a new starter under warranty anyway, and the new starter does the same thing.

I had an assisstant turn the engine over with a breaker bar while I felt the teeth on the flywheel, and they feel normal.

I also bridged the solenoid with a screwdriver to see if that would crank the starter and it does not; again, it (the starter) just clicks loudly as it engages the flywheel.

At this point, I am wondering if it could be something electrical? Is it possible that an electrical problem could cause the solenoid to engage, but the starter motor not to turn?

·
Registered
8 Posts
check the ground. your getting enough voltage to make the connection but not enough amperage to actually engage the starter. I don't remember exactly which chrysler vehicle I had that did, it but the negative ground cable was corroded, cleaned it up, or put a new one on to fix it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
agreed, if not the ground at the battery check for a loose connection where the cable is bolted to the engine block

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The grounds are all good. Turns out the problem was the hot wire to the starter. I replaced it a while ago and had to cut it to length and crimp a new end on it to attach to the starter. I then wrapped the crimped area with electrical tape. The end had worked its way off of the wire, but was still held on by the electrical tape so I did not notice it right away. I am glad it was such an easy fix. Thanks for your replies!

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
Time to crimp, solder the connection, and I just love heat shrink for repairs, beats those plastic insulators which protect nothing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts